Child out of seat during descent

Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Child out of seat during descent

Hi all
I wanted to ask your advice on the situation I experienced just before Christmas. I was flying BSL-LHR seated fairly far forward in the ET cabin at the window. There was a girl aged around 5 directly behind me, travelling with her dad in the middle seat next to her. It was an evening flight and after the crew had checked the cabin for landing, I was enjoying a spectacularly clear view over London with lots of Christmas lights on view as we approached Heathrow. I could hear some shuffling behind me, and when a little arm and hand poked their way through the gap between my seat and the window, I realised the little girl was standing up right behind my seat. I turned round as best I could and saw her dad through the gap, and said something like 'she should be in her seat for landing'. The dad replied, 'but she wants to see the lights out of the window' and let her continue standing there.
We had a comfortable landing shortly afterwards, and I have no idea if the girl was out of her seat still, or if she was belted in for the actual landing.
My question is, should I have alerted the crew? I didn't really want to press the call bell so close to landing and have one of them have to leave their seat (I was too far back to be able to see them or attract their attention otherwise). I meant to ask one of them what I should have done, but of course you don't really get time when you are leaving the aircraft. Hence posting here to ask you knowledgeable lot if I should have done something else, or just minded my own business.
I would appreciate any advice/comments.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If the cabin crew had secured the cabin for landing and if the SCCM had made the “Cabin crew seats for landing” then do nothing, it’s the parents responsibility.
BearX220, Dan72, HIDDY and 28 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:55 am

You did do something, you spoke to the adult, and I take my hat off to you for that, thank you. It probably/possibly would’ve been too late for the crew to get to you to answer your call bell, so it wouldn’t have mattered if you had used it. I have seen things like this when coming in to land and I have made a short PA just to remind that all passengers should have their seatbelts fastened, including their children. You then see other crew craning their necks to see who it is, if it’s someone close to them that they can maybe ‘loudly speak’ to. But the PA would usually do the job.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
This sounds like a relatively minor incident and one which is purely the parent's fault. I am not sure it would have been helpful to have got the crew involved at that late stage in the flight and could have endangered them/others in the event of an accident.

Last edited by golfmad; Feb 14, 2024 at 9:05 am Reason: Removed text under rule 12.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Reminds me of an incident 30 odd years ago on an internal flight with Lloyd Aero Bolivia. Used to smoke at the time so was sat at or near the back of the plane. As we were coming in to land, pretty much on final approach, a little old lady across the aisle jumped up and dived into the toilet just behind. Cabin crew member rushed back, asking what the hell was going on, to which this young chap (presumably said woman's son) replied "look, if she doesn't go now, she's going to piss all over your seat".

We landed with her still in the toilet. She eventually emerged as we were pulling up to the gate.
Keystone, Mekko, mnhusker and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by brightstar100
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but surely this hasn't been weighing on your mind since before Christmas? This sounds like a relatively minor incident and one which is purely the parent's fault. I am not sure it would have been helpful to have got the crew involved at that late stage in the flight and could have endangered them/others in the event of an accident.
It’s a toughie, you are absolutely right the child should have been secure for landing. As CIHY states after the crew have done their secure check it’s a parental responsibility. However, you did your bit by bringing this to the attention of the parent, after that should the child have been injured it’s on the parent and BA would not be liable. If the unsecured child had injured someone else then it gets a bit more obscure and it’s part of why lawyers are rich and hated😂
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
You did the best that you could. That is the sort of idiot who, were there a hard landing and the child was hurt, would be screaming for compensation.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
My immediate reaction has been "omg mind your own business".
Kevin AA, oceanscape and Sopranino like this.

Last edited by golfmad; Feb 14, 2024 at 9:05 am Reason: Removed text under rule 12
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:25 am

I've seen people run to the toilet during landing quite a few times . Nothing much to worry about.
Kevin AA and Sopranino like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:29 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by frandrake
I wouldn't put it that strongly, but I doubt I would have said anything about this sort of instance.
I wonder if OP has experience of pointing out poor parenting to people and the result working well?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by frandrake
it's all fine until something unexpected happens and the child becomes a projectile. And if it did, the child's parents would be to blame.

Edited to add: I probably wouldn't have said anything if I'm honest.
Scots_Al, stifle, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Bohinjska Bistrica; Feb 14, 2024 at 9:37 am
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I might have said something to the adult too but upon being rebuffed I would be an excellent witness on BA's behalf had the girl been injured on landing.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:29 am

On an F journey there was a small boy who was carefully secured by crew and parents when required but the moment they returned to their seats would wiggle out of the seat belt. This happened several times. Parents were trying but seated in front and behind him could not be there all the time.

Made me wonder if there should be lockable seat belts for children’s safety? And of course the safety of others lest they become a projectile.
Sopranino likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Greenpen
On an F journey there was a small boy who was carefully secured by crew and parents when required but the moment they returned to their seats would wiggle out of the seat belt. This happened several times. Parents were trying but seated in front and behind him could not be there all the time.

Made me wonder if there should be lockable seat belts for children’s safety? And of course the safety of others lest they become a projectile.

Lockable belts would not be safe in an emergency evacuation situation.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD, AS,AA,HILTON,IHG
Rug rats should not be allowed in Club or F, for everyone's sake.
heronb and rmontelbon like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.