Flying BA on a VS ticket (?!)

Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Flying BA on a VS ticket (?!)

I am looking at a ticket for a brief UK-US-UK trip that would be on a VS ticket, outbound EDI/BOS on DL, return JFK/LHR on VS, and then on to either NCL or EDI on BA, but all on the one VS issued ticket (which I didn't even think was possible).

I will be putting my VS number into the booking. When I get to LHR to fly north, do you think I'll be able to get my BAEC number into the booking to credit that segment to BA?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
You should/will have a BA PNR generated. You can use that to go on BA.com to add your BA number to earn as usual.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:25 am

This happened to me last year, GLA -> LHR -> MIA -> LHR -> GLA and i was able to earn V points through the Virgin booking, but also BAEC points by entering the BA PNR (was burried in my booking confirmation) on ba.com.

Bizarrely I could also check the bag all the way through too, at the most generous baggage allowance.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:28 am

Yep it works fine. I've also flown VS on a BA ticket during irrops. Double-dipped the points (ORC on BA, credited as normal on VS). BA PNR showed the whole trip including VS segment after it was rebooked automatically while we took a scenic bus tour of T5.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by mattcasey94
Bizarrely I could also check the bag all the way through too, at the most generous baggage allowance.
Nothing bizarre about that at all. Thatís what interline tickets are for.
The _Banking_Scot and etiene like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Nothing bizarre about that at all. Thatís what interline tickets are for.
To be fair, to Dominic B. BA won't through check their own baggage on two separate BA tickets. The fact that VS have an interline agreement with BA/Aegean etc, which works, is a bit of a novelty and BA regulars may well be surprised when they can do this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DominicB
I am looking at a ticket for a brief UK-US-UK trip that would be on a VS ticket, outbound EDI/BOS on DL, return JFK/LHR on VS, and then on to either NCL or EDI on BA, but all on the one VS issued ticket (which I didn't even think was possible).

I will be putting my VS number into the booking. When I get to LHR to fly north, do you think I'll be able to get my BAEC number into the booking to credit that segment to BA?
yes you can do this

I often fly a mix of *A and QR on one ticket and use both FF numbers

I usually use the qr number when i make the booking then add the *A number when i check in on the outbound.

On the inbound depending how things go i get the *A number added when i get to the *A lounge before the final leg
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by davidcamp6
To be fair, to Dominic B. BA won't through check their own baggage on two separate BA tickets. The fact that VS have an interline agreement with BA/Aegean etc, which works, is a bit of a novelty and BA regulars may well be surprised when they can do this.
Yes, I understand that when BA bought BMI, part of the deal was they had to take VS passengers on short-haul connections (at a bargain price). For example, you can do ex-EU on VS, it uses BA for the shorthauls.
sammyg901 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by cauchy
Yes, I understand that when BA bought BMI, part of the deal was they had to take VS passengers on short-haul connections (at a bargain price). For example, you can do ex-EU on VS, it uses BA for the shorthauls.
Not just for VS but for any carrier wanting short haul connections at LHR. I think the price was so bargain that it undermined the case for Virgin running their own domestic connections. Virgin also use Aer Lingus for connections from Irish ports.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by bd95
Not just for VS but for any carrier wanting short haul connections at LHR. I think the price was so bargain that it undermined the case for Virgin running their own domestic connections. Virgin also use Aer Lingus for connections from Irish ports.
Virgin tried to run domestic flights, it was a total failure. Couldn't keep the routes running long enough to claim the slots as their own (they were slots BA had to give up, again part of the BMI deal).
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by cauchy
Virgin tried to run domestic flights, it was a total failure. Couldn't keep the routes running long enough to claim the slots as their own (they were slots BA had to give up, again part of the BMI deal).
Unfortunately it was a total failure. Some of the Manchester slots were Virginís own slots though.

Going back to the OP, usually everything works well, though check in can be clunky and BA canít always issue the Virgin long haul boarding pass at the outstation, especially if a US long haul. T3 connections arenít always great - I know this from experience. If BA delivers you late to the Virgin long haul they will be rssponsible for rebooking and will likely want to rebook onto BA or AA (or oneWorld). Virgin arenít always great with ORC if this is important to you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.