Heard in the F lounge

Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Heard in the F lounge

So some of you will be familiar with the “Heard in Waitrose” group on Facebook, but I had a similar experience in the F lounge at LGW just now. Mother to 4 year old-ish daughter. “No darling, there is no First on short haul, we have to travel in business”. I guess it’s never too early to learn!!
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by r22r44bell47
So some of you will be familiar with the “Heard in Waitrose” group on Facebook, but I had a similar experience in the F lounge at LGW just now. Mother to 4 year old-ish daughter. “No darling, there is no First on short haul, we have to travel in business”. I guess it’s never too early to learn!!
Yikes! Poor thing, having to suffer at such a young age.

Though… on reflection… mine had to wait until they were nearly all teenagers before we could afford (courtesy of Airmiles and 241’s) to all go in J. And on further reflection, toughed them up and taught them that you have to work hard for the good things in life.
HIDDY, chris63, Shingi and 12 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Slumming it in business at 4 🤦‍♀️
NoY, wrp96, Geordie405 and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:50 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
No darling
In my social stratem we don't call children 'darling' we have other better deserved words. Those may have F in them.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:34 am

I believe it was Peter Jones, who one day decided to fly commercial with his family and one of the kids asked 'Daddy, what are all those people doing on our plane?'
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
That's tragic.

I remember my first non-coach flight. My dad had gone to London (from the U.S.) for a business trip, and he decided to bring along the rest of us for a visit to Britain. He flew several days early, and then the rest of us flew Y on Virgin, and experience that involved attempting to lay multiple people flat across three seats on a 747. It did not work well. I do remember arriving, very blurrily, into a large, grey immigration hall in Heathrow, taking a town car into the city, and coming up to our father's hotel room (it was morning, and the second room wasn't ready), taking a shower, standing against the heated towel rack, and then all of us, sans dad, crawling into his bed and conking out.

On the way back, we flew Premium Economy. What still stand out, well over a decade later, were the large, red seats and the incredibly comfortable lumbar pillow. Dad gave Mom his Upper Class seat (he had not be flying coach on Virgin Atlantic) and sat with us. We were given ice cream. Maybe five hours into the flight, I walked back into coach to see everyone eating popsicles, the mid-flight snack. I remember how incredibly exclusive it all felt. It wasn't first class, and I was old enough and sufficiently plane-nutty to understand the distinction. But it was still a very special, elevated experience.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
The only thing I ever seem to hear in the flounge is some overly verbose chap or other giving away corporate confidential information at full volume.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by JapesUK
The only thing I ever seem to hear in the flounge is some overly verbose chap or other giving away corporate confidential information at full volume.
Good place to snatch a deal...
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
For BA short haul - Business is really coach - just an empty seat in the middle (which is European view of business). First is 2 larger seats, like US domestic First.
RJD1983, rhegedus and Bellerina like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cova
For BA short haul - Business is really coach - just an empty seat in the middle (which is European view of business). First is 2 larger seats, like US domestic First.
"Business Class" is probably becoming a more outdated name/model given the renewed focus on premium leisure post Covid.

3 hours on an all inclusive bar, food provided and a middle table to put your things on is the reason many people fly BA for leisure. I certainly do. It's just a nicer experience, even if the seat is the same as down the back.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Strictly speaking this is probably off topic for this thread, but a few years ago I saw a maybe four year old boy throwing a complete tantrum at the gate because he wanted to go to the lounge and couldn't understand why he wasn't allowed.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am always curios - who tells the kids when they grow up that some of them will need to work to afford this lifestyle in the future?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by daenous
I am always curios - who tells the kids when they grow up that some of them will need to work to afford this lifestyle in the future?
The reality, in the UK anyway, is that a great deal of the wealth that allows families to afford to e.g. fly the kids in first class every time they go abroad, is multi-generational.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:48 pm

Programs: One relative: BAEC GGLfL, UA 1MM Gold, LH life Senator, AA 1MM Gold, etc. Another: SQ life Solitaire
Originally Posted by crazy8534
The reality, in the UK anyway, is that a great deal of the wealth that allows families to afford to e.g. fly the kids in first class every time they go abroad, is multi-generational.
Agreed. A family’s travel budget of $100k per year can be generated off the earnings of a $2m corpus, which can be passed down generations.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:47 am

Programs: British Airways
When I'd recently boarded a club europe flight there was a child of around 8 or so in the family behind saying something like "mummy Where's the TV and why is my seat so small, where are the controls to make it go up and down like out last holiday". The mother just said this plane doesn't have those play with your phone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.