Upgrade one segment for cash?

Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Upgrade one segment for cash?

I recently booked a round trip to JFK, ex-DUB (so, DUB-LHR-JFK-LHR-DUB).

I booked outbound WTP, returning CS, and mistakenly assumed this would earn 290 tier points (20+90+140+40). That, along with the positioning flights, both in CE (40+40), was supposed to set me up to reach Gold (before my TP collecting year ends on 7 May).

But it now appears the DUB-LHR first leg in Economy is probably bucket K, so only 10 tier points rather than 20. I will end up 10 points short of the 1500 I need for Gold 😥

I would happily pay to upgrade that leg to business (and earn 40 tier points), but I cant see any way to do that via app or website. In fact, no cash upgrades seem to be offered now. They were offered briefly, just after I booked, but only if I upgraded the first TWO legs (DUB-LHR-JFK) to business (costing nearly EUR 1,000, which is far more than I want to pay).

If I call customer service, will they be able to upgrade the first leg only (and hopefully for a more reasonable price) and leave the second leg unaltered in WTP? Or are the first two legs locked together in some way that I didnt expect?

And, really just for interest, is it ever possible to upgrade the fare bucket (e.g. from K to Y/B/H) retrospectively (purely to earn more tier points, but staying in the same cabin)?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
You wouldnt usually get a POUG upgrade offer on a connecting itinerary like that. Only a fare difference, which as you saw can be quite high. Theres always a chance the Club cabin is full, but Id say you have a good shot at an (AUP) at check in on the day, either in app or at the desk. Id guess the cost will be 90. Not much you can do ahead of time other than phone in and pay the fare difference.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Thanks. But what I want is to pay the fare difference for the DUB-LHR segment only, and not the combined DUB-LHR-JFK segments.

While that was (briefly) available, I ticked to upgrade the first segment, and leave the other 3 segments unaltered. But still got offered a price to upgrade the first TWO segments combined (from ET/WTP to CE/CW).

Thats the apparent coupling I want to split (in hope of getting a much smaller fare difference).
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I *think* this is a married segment issue and you won’t be able to upgrade just one leg. Your options are POUG at the airport or a B2B day trip to NCL, EDI, GLA etc to get the TP.

BA *may* let the 10 TP slide or give you the extra 2 weeks grace to earn the 10 TP needed as back ups but plan accordingly if Gold is that important to you.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:53 pm

So to answer your question.... no.
You need to remember what you've purchased is a Dublin - New York fare, you can't segment it out as you've suggested, at least not on a filed thru fare.

Doing what you're suggesting will typically involve repricing the ticket into a higher fare that does allow the combination or 2 separate fare components (DUB-LHR + LHR-JFK) which is more than likely going to be mote expensive than a DUB-JFK in Club fare difference (the one offered to you).

I'm presuming you're currently booked into T class for the LHR-JFK sector which books specifically into certain Economy booking classes only for the short haul connection. If you'd selected the E Class (mid range Premium Economy fare), these usually book into I class (Club Europe) for the short haul connection.

You could try for an airport upgrade (AUP) on the day for the DUB-LHR sector but there's no guarantee an offer will be available.

If you're not up for paying to upgrade the existing New York ticket and don't want to leave the AUP to chance, why not just take a day trip to London at some point before your status end date? DUB-LHR-DUB can be had from around 80rtn on BA earning 5 tier points in each direction.... which will achieve the TP's needed.
etiene and mnhusker like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Feb 7, 2024 at 7:08 pm
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:19 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
DUB-LHR-DUB can be had from around 80rtn on BA earning 5 tier points in each direction....
The OP said they were positioning to DUB for this trip so presumably they would be more likely to do a LHR-DUB-LHR (or whatever UK base they start from).
Those are likely to be a bit more pricey, but a short trip like that is looking like the only way if the airport upgrade isn't forthcoming.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
The OP said they were positioning to DUB for this trip so presumably they would be more likely to do a LHR-DUB-LHR (or whatever UK base they start from).
Those are likely to be a bit more pricey, but a short trip like that is looking like the only way if the airport upgrade isn't forthcoming.
Thanks for pointing that out.... I completely missed that all important positioning statement.

Ex LON fares can be had for around 100 on a weekend at the moment (I did a day trip to Munich the other week at 24hrs notice) so principle the same.

I think it's the only way too.... certainly at a low price.
​​​​​
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think the first answer you received is good if you can take the risk. If you want a fare difference upgrade on a single segment, you can call and ask about changing the dub-lhr segment only into business but it will count as a change and the whole fare will be recalculated and this could be expensive. It is even possible that the version of upgrading the whole outbound to j-i was cheaper than upgrading dub-lhr only which may be why the system offered it.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:44 am
Original Poster

OP returning.

Thanks all for the advice. I think Ill do what was suggested, and keep my fingers crossed for an AUP on the DUB-LHR leg. Fortunately Im positioning the evening before, so will have plenty of time to ask for this in person at the airport, rather than trust to the vaguaries of ba.com.

And if that fails, looks like it will be another TP run (prob something like LCY-EDI, which Ive done previously). Ill do that in April, to ensure it gets counted again during my transition period when we all align our TP year ends. By good fortune, I had already booked LHR-DFW-LHR in FIRST during April, which should net me 840 TP - thanks to double TP from BAH 😀.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:00 am
Original Poster

And the outcome was

OP returning again to brief on the outcome.

I got to the airport on good time, and (from very helpful check-in staff at Dublin) managed to score an AUP DUB-LHR for EUR 114 (around 97).

Perfect result (provided the extra tier points post okay)!

Many thanks to all who suggested this course of action.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by larryflyer
OP returning again to brief on the outcome.
I got to the airport on good time, and (from very helpful check-in staff at Dublin) managed to score an AUP DUB-LHR for EUR 114 (around 97).
Perfect result (provided the extra tier points post okay)!
Many thanks to all who suggested this course of action.
Great news.

PS Just out of interest did you have to burn some incense and pray to the TP gods to get this happy outcome?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA or bust
Great news.

PS Just out of interest did you have to burn some incense and pray to the TP gods to get this happy outcome?
No, none of that. But there is a cautionary postscript.

After feeling very pleased with myself, I nearly got my comeuppance when it was time to board. It turned out there were are TWO flights from Dublin to LHR departing at exactly the same time. One BA metal (with an Air Lingus codeshare) and one Air Lingus metal (with a BA codeshare number.

The gates were at opposite ends of Dublin T1, and (youve guessed it) I went to the wrong one. What was surprising was that they scanned my (physical) boarding card and waved me through. It was a bus gate - I had just stepped on to the bus when the gate attendant come running after me to point out the mistake.

I had a slightly frantic dash to the correct gate, but was reasonably confident I would get there just before it closed. Unlike another passenger who had apparently made the same mistake. The cabin crew started paging her after everyone else (including me) had boarded. She arrived 10 minutes later, looking VERY flustered and out of breath.

Moral of the tale, for non-regular fliers from Dublin (and probably elsewhere too): dont assume the combination of airline, departure time and destination is unique, it might not be!
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:42 am
Original Poster

And a final postscript. Following the successful AUP (ET to CE) from DUB-LHR, I got a surprise OpUp (WTP to CS) on my second leg, LHR-JFK.

Somebody must be smiling on me today 😀

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.