Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question about getting the most from Club World

Old Jan 30, 2024, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I have booked myself a Club World return LHR to America in a few months time, as a once in a lifetime treat. I just wondered if someone could help answer my questions so I can get the most out of it?

- I am departing from Terminal 5, which is the best business lounge to go to? I read there are two. And are they easy to find once through security?

- Can you ask for champagne in the business lounges? If so, who do you ask?

- When I arrive back at Heathrow, can I use a business lounge on arrival? If so, how do I get to it from baggage reclaim?

- On the flight, Iím on a 787-8. Where is the Club Kitchen situated?

- Is there any protocol for the Club Kitchen? Can I just get up to raid it as soon as seatbelts off or do I wait until Iíve been served my meal? I.e not getting in the way of staff if they serve drinks and food straight after take off

- Can I use the AA business lounge on the way back in BNA? Wasnít sure if BA and AA are partners.

Any other tips anyone would give me to get the most out of Club World?

Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2024, 4:31 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
BA are part of OneWorld, so you can access AA lounges.
Airport Lounges: oneworld Lounges & Airport Lounge Access | oneworld
Old Jan 30, 2024, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
There are three J lounges at Heathrow. The best is at T5B, you can go there regardless of which gate your flight departs from, if you needed to go back to T5A you MUST use the tunnels not the train, or you'll be forced landside and end up in all sorts of trouble. Yes, fizz is available, I think champagne on demand, ask a server.

Club kitchen isn't all that great - you can use it when seatbelt signs are off but don't expect too much. It'll be in one of the galleys. Crisps, the odd chocolate bar, not a great deal.

Business Class is a perfectly nice way to travel, enjoy yourself, but don't set your expectations to unalloyed luxury level!
Old Jan 30, 2024, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Skyvvards
Hello,

I have booked myself a Club World return LHR to America in a few months time, as a once in a lifetime treat. I just wondered if someone could help answer my questions so I can get the most out of it?

- I am departing from Terminal 5, which is the best business lounge to go to? I read there are two. And are they easy to find once through security?

- When I arrive back at Heathrow, can I use a business lounge on arrival? If so, how do I get to it from baggage reclaim?

- On the flight, Iím on a 787-8. Where is the Club Kitchen situated?

- Is there any protocol for the Club Kitchen? Can I just get up to raid it as soon as seatbelts off or do I wait until Iíve been served my meal? I.e not getting in the way of staff if they serve drinks and food straight after take off

- Can I use the AA business lounge on the way back in BNA? Wasnít sure if BA and AA are partners.

Any other tips anyone would give me to get the most out of Club World?

Thanks!

Keep an eye on the departure boards but the Lounge at 5B will be the best one, as you'll most likely depart from the B or C gates.. Getting there you can take the walkway. When you're in the transit lift select -4 and then follow the signs.

For Champagne ask any of the servers for a glass and they'll get you one.

There's an arrivals lounge after baggage reclaim and customs in the arrivals hall in T5. Check the oneworld lounge locator to confirm that it will be open when you arrive.

The Club Kitchen is in the galley. You will get a drink and some snacks pre dinner. To be honest I would eat first and decide what I wanted next. Usually there will always be chocolate and crisps post meal. I really enjoy my pre dinner drink and leave the cabin crew space to sort out the meal.

Let the staff know it's your first time. I have always found BA crew to be pretty good. Also ask if they have any spare if you can have a dessert and cheese. This will definitely mitigate the club kitchen.

Enjoy the flight
bafan, wanderingjock and astra19e like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Skyvvards
Hello,

There are 3 lounges for business class travellers, A north, A South and B

There is nothing stopping you visit all 3. In my opinion B is best, but best is very subjective and varies from person to person.

A North is the easiest to get to. If you use North Fastvtrack security it is directly in front if you. It is usually also the busiest.

There is lots ofvselfvservice alcohol. But yes, champagne you can ask any if the people who go around clearing the tables.
- When I arrive back at Heathrow, can I use a business lounge on arrival? If so, how do I get to it from baggage reclaim
yes you can use the arrivals lounge if you land before 2pm. It closes at 2pm. The food offerings start winding down from midday.
after baggage claim you exit into the arrivals hall and go up one flight of stairs.

....deleted questions i cannot answer...

Yes
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Itís a flat bed on a flying metal tube, with some bells and whistles on the ground and ho-hum food in the air. Tailor your expectations accordingly and youíll enjoy it. Expecting Aman resort treatment will cause much disappointment.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Itís a flat bed on a flying metal tube, with some bells and whistles on the ground and ho-hum food in the air. Tailor your expectations accordingly and youíll enjoy it. Expecting Aman resort treatment will cause much disappointment.
To a point yes. But I always remember how much fun my first LH J flight was. It's so much more enjoyable. No rubbing shoulders with anyone, someone reclining etc. Lie flat bed regardless of its CW or CS is such a step up. I still now when I go away on my holidays have a chuckle to myself about how nice it is. I do get that if you do it all the time the novelty goes. But for the once a year/2 years/lifetime traveller. It's a lot of fun.
Markie, Koru Flyer, NickB and 30 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
This is a wholesome thread Love that this will be the OPs first experience, I hope they have a fantastic trip!

There are some great tips about lounges at LHR, about being able to use the lounge at Nashville, and using the club kitchen. One more tip is don't be afraid to use the call button if you need something during the flight, or if something isn't working (or you can't figure out how to make it work).

Have you seen the Flight Report site? There are a few reviews on there that might be of interest --> https://flight-report.com/en/search/...&year_max=2024
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:05 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I am not sure what you have read online/being told but the club kitchen is usually some tyrrells crisps and probably a few small Lindt chocolates.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:11 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Skyvvards Thank you for reminding me of the wonders of a first trip in Business Class. Flying is an amazing privilege and we are lucky to be able to experience it.

Please don't let some peoples' comments dampen your enthusiasm.

That being said, as with all travel experiences, I suggest to assuage one's expectations in order to best enjoy the experience. Your questions are excellent and there is a great number of people on FT who will offer suggestions to maximise the trip.

Enjoy!

Last edited by golfmad; Jan 30, 2024 at 7:07 am Reason: Rule 12.2. Avoid getting personal (even indirectly).
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I hope you have a really good time, key to it is to pace yourself and not get too stuffed too soon.

Club Kitchen is usually prepped after dessert is served, so it's more for mid flight. In addition to crisps and chocolate, there is usually popcorn, biscuits, apples, nut mix, perhaps yoghurt and salad tubs. Plus tins of soft drinks and some alcohol options.
Markie, BA or bust, bafan and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:36 am

I note you say in a few months, but if you happen to be flying on Friday 8th March and our definitions of a few match up, I'll guest you into the Concorde Room.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:59 am

Last year I flew ten times in long haul J and once F, all leisure and all paid for with money. Enjoyed every one, itís a wonderful way to travel.

Not just the flight but the lounges are nice. They can vary but all offered a pleasant place to wait with good food.

Alas, none of these flights were on BA but I did use the LHR and LGW lounges quite a few times using my silver status when using short haul and found them great. I was particularly impressed by a visit to the T3 BA lounge which had a good range of interesting food; I wrote a report on it if you are any good at using this siteís search!
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:03 am

Google”British Airways T3 Lounge Greenpen”and it comes up!

Sorry to advertise my own post!
BA or bust likes this.

Last edited by golfmad; Jan 30, 2024 at 7:14 am Reason: Added clickable link to the thread
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As has been said it's all about the extra space you get. I was in my 40's before I flew in long haul Biz for the first time. So after many years of flying in economy I enjoyed being able to stretch out and relax. Especially on long overnight flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.