TPs on upgraded tickets

Old Jan 20, 2024, 11:58 am
Original Poster

TPs on upgraded tickets

Hi, a quick question, I did do an avios redemption for a WTP ticket and used my Gold Upgrade Voucher to upgrade to CW. In case a cash upgrade to F is offered and I accept it, will there be any TPs credited for that flight? Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Nope. Not unless a mistake is made. They do happen but you certainly can’t count on it.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, good to know!
Old Jan 20, 2024, 2:38 pm

But, you will Avios on the cash upgrade component. It's all a bit odd!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cauchy
But, you will Avios on the cash upgrade component. It's all a bit odd!
do you? i hadn't spotted that. so if you book WTP with cash, upgade using avios or a GUF, and then do an AUP to F, you earn avios on the AUP as well as the WTP fare+YQ?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
do you? i hadn't spotted that. so if you book WTP with cash, upgade using avios or a GUF, and then do an AUP to F, you earn avios on the AUP as well as the WTP fare+YQ?
Not quite identical to your scenario above. But I had a WTP fare IAD to LHR. I bought an AUP to CW at IAD. I got additional Avios for the cash upgrade. Below is how this posted. Bottom transaction is the original WTP Avios + CW TPs, and I got a separate transaction for the additional cash upgrade.

KARFA and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
It's all a bit dodgy...I once got tier points and avios for a business class return redemption booking on BA to BKK...but because BA abandoned the sector I was pushed on to Qatar.

I didn't complain about this, strangely.... Chris
BA or bust and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by Chris_G
It's all a bit dodgy...I once got tier points and avios for a business class return redemption booking on BA to BKK...but because BA abandoned the sector I was pushed on to Qatar.

I didn't complain about this, strangely.... Chris

I believe it has been discussed many times before:

this happens when there is an operational/involuntary change and often this result in a rebooking into a different fare class as the only available (not reward one) and thus the system will see it as a cash booking
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:41 am

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
We have a booking that was in club using a joker, 2 guf1 1guf2 a single 241, avios and taxes made prior to Oct change.

I noticed in mmb it is showing both avios and projected TPs for all passengers.

Guess we will find out in a couple of weeks time if they'll post but would definitely be nice if they do.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by Jpm81
We have a booking that was in club using a joker, 2 guf1 1guf2 a single 241, avios and taxes made prior to Oct change.

Guess we will find out in a couple of weeks time if they'll post but would definitely be nice if they do.
If I were you I would use Finnair’s MMB to trigger an e-ticketing reminder via email, that will show you the fare class for each segment… should give you a better indication if it will post TP/Avios

(I read somewhere that the Rewards / non earning fares are Z (first), U (CW, albeit that is also used for Upgrades that post TP/Avios), P (WTP) and X (WT).
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
If I were you I would use Finnair’s MMB to trigger an e-ticketing reminder via email, that will show you the fare class for each segment… should give you a better indication if it will post TP/Avios

(I read somewhere that the Rewards / non earning fares are Z (first), U (CW, albeit that is also used for Upgrades that post TP/Avios), P (WTP) and X (WT).
Yeah, it shows as U.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Jpm81

So despite MMB showing projected Avios and TPs for this trip (and still showing for the return flight), the outbound flights did indeed post as innelegible flights and 0 avios/TPs.
​​​​​​
Would have been a nice bank error in favour if it had happened but alas not!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.