Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How windy is “windy” on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

How windy is “windy” on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by aks120
I am on the finale flight of Loganair SAAB340 from Glasgow to Aberdeen this afternoon. I now have back up plans for BA flights back to London this evening from both Glasgow and Aberdeen as I think the weather will destroy my plans and I may even be overnighting somewhere in Scotland!

Why do we do this to ourselves - I could have quite easily flown GLA or EDI to LHR this afternoon and my commute would have been simple - but no I decided to fly GLA-ABZ-LHR in the middle of the storm!

aks120
Well my wish for simplicity came true - I had to take myself off the Loganair final flight as the BA ABZ-LHR got cancelled. I am now sat waiting for a GLA-LHR which I booked this morning as back up - thank goodness I did! That said - I haven’t got to LHR yet…….. I may end up spending the night here!

aks120
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
I got out of Dublin at 11am this morning .. things were fairly bad then .. they're getting worse now .. I don't think much is going to be going in or out for most of the rest of the day .. worst of the winds are supposed to be from around now until about 9pm ... loads of Ryanair diversions already ( I think Ryanair's 737s must have slightly lower wind limits than Aer Lingus ? .. though on the other hand the smaller Aer Lingus regional flights won't be going anywhere today for sure )
Plus Ryanair seems to be diverting to EDI, GLA and MAN while a few Aer Lingus flights have diverted to BFS. At least a ground transfer from BFS is possible and only takes 90 mins.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:51 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by bd95
Plus Ryanair seems to be diverting to EDI, GLA and MAN while a few Aer Lingus flights have diverted to BFS. At least a ground transfer from BFS is possible and only takes 90 mins.
Indeed - just saw a Ryanair flight from Paphos to DUB divert to EDI after 6 and a half hours. Ouch.

Wonder why Ryanair aren’t going to Belfast. Good evening to be a taxi Driver here though!

Last edited by JD1905; Jan 21, 2024 at 9:56 am
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by MrMB
This has now diverted to Stansted.

yes I was on this one, indeed after two aborted landings diverted to Stansted.. Captain then said they would refuel.. get engineers to fix something.. and fly back to LHR. Dozen passengers refused and after a while decision taken to disembark all. Bit odd all but safely on the ground.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by JD1905
Indeed - just saw a Ryanair flight from Paphos to DUB divert to EDI after 6 and a half hours. Ouch.

Wonder why Ryanair aren’t going to Belfast. Good evening to be a taxi Driver here though!
That said, in the past few minutes both BA and KLM have gone around at BHD.

BFS however are using their crosswind runway (17) on and off today and should be ideal on a day like today.

I also saw BA1312 (ABZ) diverted to Inverness but appeared to do a loop around NCL on the way up. FR24 records this loop was at >30000ft. What was happening there?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have put up a third list of cancellations on the FAQ thread for delays and cancellations. I am expected a further update of more cancellations in about an hour. Flight Status on BA.com isn't working very well at the moment, but the App version is now working. DUB is pretty much closed, and AMS is also disrupted.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:26 am

Just a note for any Scottish based travellers who were hoping to get to GLA/EDi/ABZ/INV using the train tomorrow morning

All ScotRail services look cancelled tomorrow morning until at least the afternoon.
richeast likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
crikey i happened to look at DUB arrivals and saw this ryanair goaround that was MAN-DUB...turned back to MAN i thought then down towards london...and kept going and now off to france!

two things: (1) poor people who were heading for a quick MAN-DUB! (2) at least they do not have to suffer the indignity of going thru MAN security again today!

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/RYR555
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver

because the current conditions are winds at 27kts gusting 42.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Plat...
Originally Posted by VSLover
crikey i happened to look at DUB arrivals and saw this ryanair goaround that was MAN-DUB...turned back to MAN i thought then down towards london...and kept going and now off to france!

two things: (1) poor people who were heading for a quick MAN-DUB! (2) at least they do not have to suffer the indignity of going thru MAN security again today!

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/RYR555
Poor people with work tomorrow. Good story to tell - booked to go to Dublin, ended up in Paris. But also good luck for them getting any compensation from Ryan Air!!
Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Just a note for any Scottish based travellers who were hoping to get to GLA/EDi/ABZ/INV using the train tomorrow morning

All ScotRail services look cancelled tomorrow morning until at least the afternoon.
Services cancelled from 19:00 today (Sunday)
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:02 am

Apparently Shannon closed earlier as it was full with diversions from DUB, though now open again. I’d expect the wind is worse over on the west coast, though Shannon uses runway 24.

As another poster has mentioned, the weather in Belfast is rough, though BFS appears to be operating well with its incumbent EasyJet flying in and out unhindered. It has accepted some non-Ryanair diversions. It is utilising its crosswind runway 17, the only major airport in Ireland with a decent crosswind runway since Dublin closed theirs. It’s one of the main all-weather diversion points for the North Atlantic and is a Ryanair station. The mind boggles why they aren’t diverting there to make it easier for onward travel.

That said, the earlier BA inbound for BHD discontinued its second approach and scurried off to MAN, so perhaps there isn’t much room on the ramp in BFS as usually BA would divert there or return to LHR.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jitesh1
Poor people with work tomorrow. Good story to tell - booked to go to Dublin, ended up in Paris. But also good luck for them getting any compensation from Ryan Air!!
Ryanair once pretended that Salzburg airport had somehow closed early so they didn’t have to pay me any compensation. It was an actual lie.

Asked the airport itself what had happened and the only reason why they eventually paid up was because I did as such. Never flew them again.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Was on the 1431 from BHD tonight after a week on the windswept west coast. Absolutely gutted to be stuck in Belfast for a night out and a trad sesh.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
Was on the 1431 from BHD tonight after a week on the windswept west coast. Absolutely gutted to be stuck in Belfast for a night out and a trad sesh.
The night-stopper is also cancelled so you can have a lie in as well!
adrianlondon, wrp96 and RichieMc like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.