Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How windy is “windy” on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

How windy is “windy” on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Greenpen
For anyone who does not know, the strange man standing on a car in the middle of a field shouting at aeroplanes is Big Jet TV. It’s great!

I guess most of the time it caters for plane spotters but his programmes live from an airport in high winds are riveting. Last time as news spread of of the programme he ended up with a huge audience glued to his commentary.
The winds get up just as they have the runway change to 27L at 3pm so I have no doubt that Mr Dyer will be in Myrtle Avenue with his camera van.
I met a number of BA pilots at an event and they all seemed to secretly love watching themselves landing alongside his fairly ludicrous commentary....!
If you are so inclined to watch the planes but less partial to the auditory background then you can also watch Flight Focus 365 which is entirely speech free (although limited to 27R I think).

Quite a strong crosswind component with the weather today it looks like so I'll admit, pending exile from the FT-BAEC board, that BJ-TV* will be on in the background as I prepare my signature Thai curry in the kitchen this afternoon.
Fingers crossed for not too much weather-induced oscillation and good luck to everyone flying today.

*EDIT: apparently he is live on Sky News at 12.45pm, currently on the roof of the Renaissance hotel filming 27R landings
BA or bust likes this.

Last edited by crazy8534; Jan 21, 2024 at 5:09 am
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am on the finale flight of Loganair SAAB340 from Glasgow to Aberdeen this afternoon. I now have back up plans for BA flights back to London this evening from both Glasgow and Aberdeen as I think the weather will destroy my plans and I may even be overnighting somewhere in Scotland!

Why do we do this to ourselves - I could have quite easily flown GLA or EDI to LHR this afternoon and my commute would have been simple - but no I decided to fly GLA-ABZ-LHR in the middle of the storm!

aks120
VSLover, Shingi and crazy8534 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
My flight from MAD to LHR is boarding and we seem to be departing on time. Fingers crossed for my EDI shuffle this evening 🤞
BHD Belle likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by aks120
I am on the finale flight of Loganair SAAB340 from Glasgow to Aberdeen this afternoon. I now have back up plans for BA flights back to London this evening from both Glasgow and Aberdeen as I think the weather will destroy my plans and I may even be overnighting somewhere in Scotland!

Why do we do this to ourselves - I could have quite easily flown GLA or EDI to LHR this afternoon and my commute would have been simple - but no I decided to fly GLA-ABZ-LHR in the middle of the storm!

aks120
Used to love (or maybe hate, it's difficult to remember ) those Saabs when I was regularly flying in and out of SYY.
Fingers crossed you make it to LHR- the winds haven't really got up to speed in EDI yet so maybe ABZ will be spared until this evening!
aks120 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by bhbloke
My flight from MAD to LHR is boarding and we seem to be departing on time. Fingers crossed for my EDI shuffle this evening 🤞
currently sitting at HEL on AY flight to LHR waiting to leave the gate - been told a 30 min delay due to ATC restrictions caused by the windy conditions at Heathrow.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:24 am

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm due to fly on United from Dublin tomorrow morning (massively cheaper fare and trying to save my company some money...)

My Aer Lingus flight cancelled but when i saw things looking a bit ropey I'd booked the Ryanair 22:55 flight so hopefully that still goes otherwise I'll need to call up the GS desk for a change and figure out how to get to US tomorrow.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I live about 15 minutes drive from Heathrow. Currently light winds but we’ve had very strong gusts of wind since about 11am.
Ancient Observer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:51 am

I’m pretty close to LHR and I have a fence panel that is, apparently, still in two minds about leaving home.
gcuk, wrp96, crazy8534 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sorry, not BA but high winds related. I live under the flight path into Luton (about 5 miles as the crow flies) and always get splendid live views (not to mention audio) when they do their go arounds. Looking forward to later.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:28 am

Hi all - I'm flying GLA-LHR-LAX tomorrow, on the 0615 from Glasgow (BA1475) and 1010 to Los Angeles (BA283) - does anyone have an idea of the chances of the Glasgow leg being cancelled?

Apple's weather app suggests the wind conditions at that time will be similar to Heathrow at the moment (watching Big Jet TV) - so hoping that's a sign that it'll be all good? Got a 2h30 connection in T5 so will be virtually impossible to make the LAX leg if my flight from Glasgow doesn't go.

Appreciate the help!
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Landed into LGW about an hour ago and was a little bumpy but nothing to worry over. The seatbelts light came on 25 mins before landing.

The first flight I have been on from Malaga to London that was not delayed in the last dozen or so fights which was nice considering all the bed wetting on the TV about adverse weather. First flight that was on Wizz too rather than my usual speedbird chariot...
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jpm81
I'm due to fly on United from Dublin tomorrow morning (massively cheaper fare and trying to save my company some money...)

My Aer Lingus flight cancelled but when i saw things looking a bit ropey I'd booked the Ryanair 22:55 flight so hopefully that still goes otherwise I'll need to call up the GS desk for a change and figure out how to get to US tomorrow.
56 flights cancelled at Dub so far today and a lot of go arounds due to crosswinds and the winds haven't peaked yet

forecast for the morning there is for winds similar to now ie 80kmh gusts so thats going to cause more problems tomorrow
im flying out of Dub tomorrow on BA and don't know if I'll get to go
The U.S flights so far today have been taking off so that's probably good news for you
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Earthman
56 flights cancelled at Dub so far today and a lot of go arounds due to crosswinds and the winds haven't peaked yet

forecast for the morning there is for winds similar to now ie 80kmh gusts so thats going to cause more problems tomorrow
im flying out of Dub tomorrow on BA and don't know if I'll get to go
The U.S flights so far today have been taking off so that's probably good news for you
Well I need to get there first to have a chance of getting my US flight tomorrow otherwise it may be an extremely expensive change.

It does seem to be a lot of the EI regional small planes that have been hit although seen a few diversions as well.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by dbowers95
Hi all - I'm flying GLA-LHR-LAX tomorrow, on the 0615 from Glasgow (BA1475) and 1010 to Los Angeles (BA283) - does anyone have an idea of the chances of the Glasgow leg being cancelled?

Apple's weather app suggests the wind conditions at that time will be similar to Heathrow at the moment (watching Big Jet TV) - so hoping that's a sign that it'll be all good? Got a 2h30 connection in T5 so will be virtually impossible to make the LAX leg if my flight from Glasgow doesn't go.

Appreciate the help!
The weather tomorrow is only half the story. The aircraft has to get to GLA first so you should probably keep an eye on tonight’s BA1494.
MajorVoid and aahch like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
The weather tomorrow is only half the story. The aircraft has to get to GLA first so you should probably keep an eye on tonight’s BA1494.
Makes sense - been keeping an eye on FlightRadar to try and figure out which inbound will end up being my flight so that's the one I'll watch. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.