Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How windy is windy on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

How windy is windy on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
We have legislation for a reason - lets unpick that - legislation is normally good - but I am unsure how it will fix your problem!
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:27 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aks120
We have legislation for a reason - lets unpick that - legislation is normally good - but I am unsure how it will fix your problem!
Well in my case I (my company) had booked a 300 ticket from GLA to DUB on EI.

After that was cancelled I booked a 140 ticket on FR.

After that was cancelled I took a taxi from GLA to EDI, booked a U2 flight from EDI to BFS. That got delayed overnight so I had a hotel to cover plus a taxi to/from said hotel.

Still no flights this morning from either EDI or gla with available space so off to BFS it ended up having to be.

I'm not expecting to make anything from this, but I do expect to have the costs covered as it's the responsible thing to do and get some back for my company.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

My poor neighbour ventured out this morning to find a tree had fallen on his car. Holding an insurance policy is just what is needed for this and other storm related inconveniences.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by Jpm81
Well in my case I (my company) had booked a 300 ticket from GLA to DUB on EI.

After that was cancelled I booked a 140 ticket on FR.

After that was cancelled I took a taxi from GLA to EDI, booked a U2 flight from EDI to BFS. That got delayed overnight so I had a hotel to cover plus a taxi to/from said hotel.

Still no flights this morning from either EDI or gla with available space so off to BFS it ended up having to be.

I'm not expecting to make anything from this, but I do expect to have the costs covered as it's the responsible thing to do and get some back for my company.
Sounds like you can claim back the cost of the cancelled flights, nothing for the taxi to EDI, refund of hotel and taxi from U2.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
So I had been speaking with 18 years of experience of weather support to the ATC side of operations but not in that side of operations, with the ability of understanding how instantaneous gusts (by definition lasts 10 min) get read over the frequency to pilots and how flight planners use a forecast wind direction and gust speed to estimate a spectrum of probabilities of cross wind components that will be encountered (speeds can vary, so can the direction varying by 10 degrees increasing components by a few knots). As seen in this storm, even if planes can take 40 knots, everything should plan for no go when it exceeds 35 knots. Otherwise too many planes divert or diversion airports run full and passengers get trapped for hours. I guess in the US, weather cancellations are "free" without any requirements for "duty of care", so airlines lean on stranding passengers and crew at origin.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by Swampz64
Sounds like you can claim back the cost of the cancelled flights, nothing for the taxi to EDI, refund of hotel and taxi from U2.
Yes I would have guessed so too .. if you took the refund and didn't travel on any of the Dublin flights then that's the duty of care for either of them discharged isn't it ? .. the fact you chose to book another flight with a different route and then add on taxis to/from the alternate departure and arrival airports .. I don't know who you could legitimately claim that from ?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Yes I would have guessed so too .. if you took the refund and didn't travel on any of the Dublin flights then that's the duty of care for either of them discharged isn't it ? .. the fact you chose to book another flight with a different route and then add on taxis to/from the alternate departure and arrival airports .. I don't know who you could legitimately claim that from ?
I didn't take the refund on the Ryanair ticket.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Worth a try then ... I would guess Ryanair mightn't be too keen to pay for a taxi from Belfast to Dublin as the more 'reasonable' expense would be the bus/train, but I guess go and see then - if you didn't take the refund then you're in a position to try anyway. ... Ryanair are much more efficient than Aer Lingus or BA in processing these types of claims so you'll likely get an answer pretty quickly.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:22 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Worth a try then ... I would guess Ryanair mightn't be too keen to pay for a taxi from Belfast to Dublin as the more 'reasonable' expense would be the bus/train, but I guess go and see then - if you didn't take the refund then you're in a position to try anyway. ... Ryanair are much more efficient than Aer Lingus or BA in processing these types of claims so you'll likely get an answer pretty quickly.
Depending where youre going n Dublin, I would say the train is unlikely to be reasonable. The buses are regularly fully booked also - so id say for those that did end up here it isnt unreasonable to claim a taxi to DUB.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:35 am

Fair point ... though I guess that FR have some sort of process that semi-automatically approves low value claims up and chunkier ones go for manual review where more questions might get asked ... Given ( I'm guessing ) by the time you add it all up the replacement flight, two long taxis and a night's hotel etc the claim for would maybe five times the cost of the original ticket ... Good luck and let us know
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ryanair was involved in a CJEU case in this area, which they lost, but the key words that were in the judgement were along the lines of "reasonable, necessary, proportionate". So for example if you had to get to DUB for an onward flight that would be necessary. If you just didn't fancy a schlep with 40 other people in a coach then that is probably for your own account. Coach is around 15 and takes just under 3 hours, whereas a taxi is about 2 hours and in the 180 area.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ryanair was involved in a CJEU case in this area, which they lost, but the key words that were in the judgement were along the lines of "reasonable, necessary, proportionate". So for example if you had to get to DUB for an onward flight that would be necessary. If you just didn't fancy a schlep with 40 other people in a coach then that is probably for your own account. Coach is around 15 and takes just under 3 hours, whereas a taxi is about 2 hours and in the 180 area.
Thank you CWS - I did have to get to DUB for an onward flight.

I will be sure to update how I get on.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
This is a nice little insight from NATS.

Riding the storm
JapesUK likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
This is a nice little insight from NATS.

Riding the storm
Good overview, but I'd say that it's a little erroneous to say that we need to provide more separation between aircraft on approach.... it's more about the fact that this is the result of the very strong winds causing, for example, a difference in ground speed of nearly 200kts between two aircraft, one approaching the final approach track from the north, and one from the south.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Jpm81
Thank you CWS - I did have to get to DUB for an onward flight.

I will be sure to update how I get on.
To come back on this - received the following response from FR today - quite efficient compared to some of the responses from BA over the years prior to hitting GGL:

We refer to your recent correspondence dated 31/01/2024.

We sincerely regret the cancellation on your flight FR5775 from Glasgow International to Dublin on the 21/01/2024.

We wish to confirm that a transfer payment for the sum of 258.32 GBP (equivalent to taxi 231.00 GBP, difference for alternative airline 22.18 GBP, meal 5.14 GBP) will be authorised by Ryanair in full and final settlement of your claim under EU 261.

Please allow 14 working days to receive this payment
So they've covered the taxi. Curious on the difference for the alternative airline which should be about 120 as I don't think they've refunded me the ticket on FR.

Also got Easy jet duty of care for taxi to hotel/hotel/taxi to airport for the overnight at EDI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.