Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How windy is “windy” on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

How windy is “windy” on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Plat...
Originally Posted by AviationMoose
Ryanair once pretended that Salzburg airport had somehow closed early so they didn’t have to pay me any compensation. It was an actual lie.

Asked the airport itself what had happened and the only reason why they eventually paid up was because I did as such. Never flew them again.

Typical RyanAir!

I seldom fly with Ryan Air , but the times I have are just when I can't justify going via LHR if there is such a cheap flight. But whenever I have, despite a beautiful sunny day, the landings are the hardest... All the "worst" landings I have had in recent times (excluding storms) have been on their fleet. Can't imagine landing in a storm with them 😅
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:14 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’ve only used Ryanair to position in DUB from MAN and back. I can’t justify going to LHR especially when it adds additional risk to positioning.
Jitesh1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Jitesh1
Poor people with work tomorrow. Good story to tell - booked to go to Dublin, ended up in Paris. But also good luck for them getting any compensation from Ryan Air!!
Ironically Ryanair’s BVA-DUB (which you would forgive for returning to origin) looks like it’s headed to Belfast (BFS), as has EasyJet’s LPL-BHD. Looks like BA is going to try BHD again after a wee rest in MAN.
Jitesh1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have put up a third list of cancellations on the FAQ thread for delays and cancellations. I am expected a further update of more cancellations in about an hour. Flight Status on BA.com isn't working very well at the moment, but the App version is now working. DUB is pretty much closed, and AMS is also disrupted.
DUB is now open for business again, bringing the cross field runway 16 back to life. I thought it had been closed when the new northern runway 28R/10L opened but apparently not!

EI553 just tried it after a few go around on the main runway but seems not to have enjoyed it and is off elsewhere, looks like SNN.
Jitesh1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I’ve only used Ryanair to position in DUB from MAN and back. I can’t justify going to LHR especially when it adds additional risk to positioning.
Glad no positioning for you on that MAN-DUB service today 😅, might be a bit off position ...
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by bd95
Ironically Ryanair’s BVA-DUB (which you would forgive for returning to origin) looks like it’s headed to Belfast (BFS), as has EasyJet’s LPL-BHD. Looks like BA is going to try BHD again after a wee rest in MAN.
Anyone have any reason to suggest why the MAN to DUB diverted to BVA ? been looking on twitter for a reason ..guess about half the plane may not have roaming enabled🤣
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bd95
The night-stopper is also cancelled so you can have a lie in as well!
Haha, they initially offered me that but I politely declined and chose the 14:40.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:49 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
BA837 back to LHR from Dublin taxied to the runway and has since returned to a gate, I’m guessing because the crosswind components are out of limits.

Dublin is definitely suffering at the moment!

Pilot37
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
So far, still showing as operating. One of the rare times I really can’t not be there, due to be on the first flight out to BHD in the morning.

I can’t check-in on any device, so I assume the IT systems are still in full meltdown. 2/2 on that front as I couldn’t check in yesterday for my flight home from Glasgow this afternoon.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
BA837 back to LHR from Dublin taxied to the runway and has since returned to a gate, I’m guessing because the crosswind components are out of limits.

Dublin is definitely suffering at the moment!

Pilot37
According to Airliners.net, BA returned to stand due to an imminent switch in departure runway from 28R to 28L, but I think it’s more likely associated with the switch over to crosswind ops on 16.

Nothing has managed to land on 16 yet, with a few holding over Meath, as well as some out in the two holds over the Irish Sea. Some are diverting elsewhere, including to BFS where nothing has managed to land recently and ops have switched back to 25. Included in the mottly crew attempting BFS is the Ryanair from BVA to DUB after a go around at BFS.
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Looks like an awful mess in DUB this evening .. glad I pulled the trigger on an alternative ... looks like EI have cancelled my originally booked DUB-LGW now too so should get a refund on that too I imagine .. good luck to any others , at least it's a quieter time of the year so there's spare capacity so hopefully recovery/rebooking will be not too hard
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: Some
LCY not faring much better in the last hour, many cancellations but of the ones that tried to land:

BA8375 (FRA-LCY) - diverted to STN
BA8742 (CMF-LCY) - diverted to STN
BA7338 (PRG-LCY) - had a go around, also looks to be heading for STN

Still quite a few flights on the way that I doubt are going to be heading to LCY (BCN, IBZ, AGP)
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
LCY not faring much better in the last hour
I live just over the river from LCY in a tall block (I can see planes on the runway from my 10th floor balcony), and can hear the structure of the building at the moment while watching my balcony rail bounce up and down. I doubt anything could land at LCY in this.
choosethedrew and IFlyPlanes like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Just landed from GLA - the departure was pretty bumpy and the pilots certainly earned their money on our landing - but they did get us back to LHR safe and sound! Good luck everyone travelling today - it is pretty awful out there!

aks120
mike&co, GuyWMD and jghastings like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:31 pm

DUB closed for a while, hence the return to stand for the BA837.

Latest Eurocontrol update;

A significant impact on the London TMA, with strong cross winds at most airports. The main impact is expected for EGLL and EGKK from 2000 onwards. There is a high probability of go-arounds and an increased risk of diversions. Surface gusts of up to 50kt are expected, with gusts at 70kt at 3000ft. Crosswinds and wet runways are anticipated. Gusts expected to continue until around 0300 with the latest TAF showing winds abating to 12kt by 0600.

Scottish airports expected to remain rough into Monday with gusts up to 58kt.

On Monday, the majority of Germanycan expect gusts ranging from 30-40kt, while EDDF at 25kt.

EHAM: Gusts of 35kt by 1900 increasing to 45kt by 2200, peaking at 55kt by 0400 on Monday through to 0900. Then abating to 33kt until 1200. A pre-tactical regulation has been implemented for the arrivals.

EBBR: Gusts of 38kt from 2200 and abating to 16kt by 0900. Gusts can still be expected to 35kt until 1200.

Paris airports: Gusts of 30-40kt expected from midnight until 1600 tomorrow.

Aerodromes

EGGW, EGKK, EGLL and EGSS (London TMA)
Arrivals regulated due to Weather (strong wind).

High delays.
The zero rate regulation for EGSS during night due to WIP was cancelled.
The regulation for EGLC was cancelled, too.

EIDW (Dublin)
Arrivals regulated due to Weather (Storm and strong wind).
High delays.
I may have performed a Micheal Fish a few days ago, that low certainly deepened. I’m sure Van Man had a good day out, but his pithy commentary aside, I’m far more weary of the AI camera that is permanently streaming these days. Is nothing is sacred anymore? Flew in earlier prior to the later excitement. It has certainly picked up as predicted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.