Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA180 EWR-LHR 16 Jan was the emptiest flight I've ever seen on this route

Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

B777 had 40 people on board. The entire rear of the plane was empty and everyone on board had their own row. Post holiday doldrums I guess
becks1, VSLover and momoflyingguy like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Due to the current weather up here, there is a waiver in effect for many airports in the region.
Wouldn't be surprised if a few people chose to move their flights to a later date.
Since it's an EWR service, I am not sure how significant connecting traffic is for that flight, but at least a couple people likely missed their conenction as well.
Empty flights are somewhere between eerie and amazing :P
Sealink, becks1 and FabCW like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Due to the current weather up here, there is a waiver in effect for many airports in the region.
Wouldn't be surprised if a few people chose to move their flights to a later date.
Since it's an EWR service, I am not sure how significant connecting traffic is for that flight, but at least a couple people likely missed their conenction as well.
I was eerie and amazing and yes. Some ppl missed Johannesburgh cx and they rebooked them on Virgin, I know this bc they announced it. It was such a small crowd that they knew what were were all up to lol. And yes the snow was real. Our deicing took 60 minutes. We didn't take off til 1.5 hours after scheduled
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by jfktocdg
I was eerie and amazing and yes. Some ppl missed Johannesburgh cx and they rebooked them on Virgin, I know this bc they announced it. It was such a small crowd that they knew what were were all up to lol. And yes the snow was real. Our deicing took 60 minutes. We didn't take off til 1.5 hours after scheduled
I had a very empty flight on boxing day last year, so know what it's like :P
Was referring to those connecting from US cities to LHR (going through EWR).
Since a lot of flights over here were delayed/cancelled I guess that was a factor as well.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
The 180 is the morning flight, so probably minimal connecting traffic

It was mentioned in another thread that this service is already cancelled for later in the spring/summer.
Chiller3333 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Farringdon
The 180 is the morning flight, so probably minimal connecting traffic

It was mentioned in another thread that this service is already cancelled for later in the spring/summer.
Ah, I forgot that EWR had a morning one as well. :P
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:51 pm

Sounds like some of the flights I took during the pandemic. 20-30 max on any flight. Ah, those were the days....
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Sounds like some of the flights I took during the pandemic. 20-30 max on any flight. Ah, those were the days....
Yup, it took about 3 minutes to board everyone. Groups 1-2....30 seconds later 3-4......1 minute later 5-6
PAL62V and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:30 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Yes and just after 9-11 as well.
Disasters of weather, terrorism and global pandemics are obviously good for the comfort of those who are forced to travel in economy.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:33 am

flew from tokyo to nyc on christmas and there were 32 pax on a 77w
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jfktocdg
B777 had 40 people on board. The entire rear of the plane was empty and everyone on board had their own row. Post holiday doldrums I guess
Starting to see why the 180 is going
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Starting to see why the 180 is going
Im on it semi regularly and the loads seem all over the place. Sometimes its pretty full. Other times its virtually empty.

Prices are also strange. I guess the RevMan algos are doing their thing behind the scenes, but sometimes its a lot cheaper than the JFK daytime flight, other times much more expensive when the cheap fare buckets have gone.

Must be a similar dynamic at other cities with secondary airports: IAD/BWI? LGW too.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I was on a very full LHR-EWR over the summer, for what it's worth. We had dismal weather in the Northeast of the US over the past 48 hours and so I suspect there were some cancellations/moves to other routings. AA only flies from EWR to its hubs, so I don't think anybody would fly hub-EWR-LHR when hub-LHR was likely an alternative, albeit probably not on the morning flight.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:30 am

I work the 180 quite often (in a bid to avoid jet lag!). There are often quite a few connections especially to South Africa and the late domestics. Sometimes a few off to West Africa and the Middle East. It's normally pretty full, often over booked in Traveller.
RedPenguin and sammyg901 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 12:35 pm

I fly BA180 & 181 frequently to beat most of the jetlag and EWR is far easier & quicker to get to (and get through the airport) than JFK for me. I recall there being about 40 passengers on Thanksgiving Day this year which was a nice throwback to the COVID days. Sorry to see that it isn't running over the spring & summer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.