Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lipton v BA City Flyer to be heard in the UK Supreme Court

Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

This case will be heard by the UK Supreme Court on 6 February. The hearing can be watched online view the UKSC website.

Lipton and another (Respondents) v BA Cityflyer Ltd (Appellant) - The Supreme Court

Lord Justice Coulson sitting in the Court of Appeal held that ".....I consider that the captains non-attendance for work due to illness was inherent in the air carriers activity and operations and was not an extraordinary circumstance within the meaning of Article 5(3) of the Regulation. If my Lords agree, I would allow this appeal and order that the respondent compensate the appellants for their cancelled flight from Milan to London."
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Oh this will be very interesting!
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
I genuinely cannot believe a case of this nature has made the Supreme Court, given it is a dispute over what can only be a couple of hundred pounds.
scolbath, becks1, SxMan and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
I genuinely cannot believe a case of this nature has made the Supreme Court, given it is a dispute over what can only be a couple of hundred pounds.
The court sets precedent.

It's not commercially unreasonable for the airlines not to want a Supreme Court precedent and to settle those that are persistent while brushing away all the others based on their own interpretation: if the claim is successful, the existence of this precedent will embolden claimants.

However, there is a wider public interest issue - almost everyone could be affected by a 261 claim at some point in their lives.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: BA GGL
I thought that BA had dropped their attempted appeal to the Supreme Court?

Cannot see how BA can succeed here given the extensive list of judgments which support the Court of Appeal's holding.

The precise reason why the captain fell ill or indeed the reason why he didn't turn up to work is neither here nor there. The point is that this is a risk inherent in airlines' operations.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Cymro

It's not commercially unreasonable for the airlines not to want a Supreme Court precedent and to settle those that are persistent while brushing away all the others based on their own interpretation: if the claim is successful, the existence of this precedent will embolden claimants.

However, there is a wider public interest issue - almost everyone could be affected by a 261 claim at some point in their lives.
milan to lcy? the captain went ill down route?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
From the very clear and helpful Supreme Court summary: "Mr and Mrs Lipton's flight from Milan to London was cancelled because their pilot unexpectedly and suddenly fell ill at short notice while he was at home and off duty."

(it doesn't state whether home is Milan, London, or somewhere else)
oceanscape likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
In the Court of Appeal judgement, Lord Justice Coulson said, under a heading "Too granular an investigation":

Originally Posted by Coulson LJ
Most of these claims are assigned to the Small Claims Track, and the vast bulk of them should be capable of being determined on the papers. In those circumstances, it is contrary to the scheme of the Regulation to allow the carrier to embark on a complex analysis of precisely when, why or how a staff member became ill so as to explain their absence and the subsequent cancellation of the flight.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
When I first started looking at this thread, I thought someone had received a cup of tea at the wrong termperature or the milk had been poured before the tea or vice-vera
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:47 am

The judgement is actually quite important, putting aside the matter of the flights.

The judgement also contains a framework for applying EU case law to "retained laws" from pre-brexit that have been copied into UK law, and is one of the first cases to consider this, so the tests applied by the court of appeal are also likely in the firing line here, hence why it has got to the level of the Supreme Court. The question under appeal isn't just the pilots illness being exceptional, it is the application of EU cases in the judgement and how the retained aspect of the legislation alters how this is dealt with.

I suspect the consideration will more be on the constitutional question on the application of EU case law post-Brexit, not the finding in regards to the judgement itself (which would normally not be appealable to this level), as without the consideration of the former they are unlikely to find the latter is a question to be appealed

Last edited by Mdann52; Jan 16, 2024 at 6:54 am
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by catandmouse
When I first started looking at this thread, I thought someone had received a cup of tea at the wrong termperature or the milk had been poured before the tea or vice-vera
I thought this was a defamation suit by Lipton against BA arguing that theyd maligned their delicious tea!
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:16 am
Formerly known as tireman77

What a spectacular waste of time, money, energy and resources.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Why?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Do you understand how a common law system works and the doctrine of precedent?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cymro

Fully understand that. I am just quite surprised that BA didn't just pay up and remove the possibility of what could well be a pretty bad public outcome for them. I am equally surprised someone has gone to the time and effort of pursuing it this far, right enough, but that's another matter entirely.

I have limited sympathy for them, however. They seem to be quite dishonest in some of their rejections of valid 261 claims.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.