Check in question for international flight

Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Check in question for international flight

We have booked RT World Traveler (Business Class) from DFW to CDG using AK Air Miles. We had to book separate RT tickets on American Airlines ABQ -DFW (can't get there from here!). I've allowed plenty of layover time, I think--almost 6 hours.

My question is: Can I check in online for our BA flights 24 hrs prior? Or will we need to exit airside after arrival at DFW to check-in in person with BA for our Int'l flight? There is no BA counter at our small ABQ airport (Albuquerque, New Mexico). Is there perhaps a BA assistance center airside at DFW where we could check in without leaving airside and having to go thru security again?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
TVQ
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:31 pm

You will be able to check in online, no problem. However, you can also do it airside at the gate - it’s staffed pretty much constantly from the arrival of the A380 until it leaves again and you won’t need to go landside unless you have bags to collect. In either case your passport will need to be physically swiped, but again this can easily be done at the gate. The BA DFW operation is entirely set up for people doing what you’re planning and is something they handle surprisingly well.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply--Very reassuring!
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:17 pm

Business on BA is Club World. World Traveller is Economy... i hope there is no nasty surprise waiting...
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Confus
unless you have bags to collect.
Yes this is the key point. I assume OP will have checked luggage for this trip.

Does AA still through check on separate tickets? BA certainly doesnt.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Does AA still through check on separate tickets?
No, they do not.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
No, they do not.
In that case, assuming OP has checked bags and doesnt get lucky with the agent in ABQ, then they should expect to have to go landside and recheck.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:16 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
with my parents having relocated to santa fe they have had to do this a few times this year. with checked bags, AA does not thru check on separate tickets so unless you are very lucky do not count on that which would mean at DFW you'll have to collect bags and head outside to get the big orange terminal transfer bus. they run very frequently and it does not take much time to get to terminal D. this is of course presuming the ABQ-DFW flight arrives to terminal A/B/C and not terminal D.

if on the rare occasion you land at terminal D with checked bags its very easy to just collect and head back upstairs to check in again.

now, if hand bags only you can easily walk or airtrain from wherever the ABQ-DFW flight lands over to terminal D staying airside and not needing to deal with security again and in this instance you'll still need to have a passport check at the gate once agents show up before boarding begins (they would almost certainly page you anyhow at that time to confirm docs ok). also this presumes you checked in online at some point.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum Pro; Hilton - Gold
For what it's worth, AA systems have the capability to check through onto separate tickets (especially onto Oneworld tickets). While it isn't in their policy that they will 100% do it, I had one kind baggage check agent at PHL explain this and do it for me. That said, I wouldn't count on it (wasn't the first time I had asked).

Last edited by Wheres_Waldo_23; Jan 12, 2024 at 4:06 pm Reason: Previously quoted the wrong post
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Wheres_Waldo_23
For what it's worth, AA systems have the capability to check through onto separate tickets (especially onto Oneworld tickets). While it isn't in their policy that they will 100% do it, I had one kind baggage check agent at PHL explain this and do it for me. That said, I wouldn't count on it (wasn't the first time I had asked).
AAs check-in system makes it possible, and some agents may do it, but it should not be assumed. Indeed, one should plan that baggage cannot be through-checked on separate tickets.

(Im sure you know that. Just pointing it out for others reading this thread)
Wheres_Waldo_23 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the helpful replies. My mistake— we are flying Club World, (Business Class), not World Traveler. That would be a nasty surprise, indeed!.

We should have plenty of time as we will not have checked bags, carry on only.
DeathSlam, krispy84 and trooper like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by thevacationqueen
Thanks again for the helpful replies. My mistake we are flying Club World, (Business Class), not World Traveler. That would be a nasty surprise, indeed!.

We should have plenty of time as we will not have checked bags, carry on only.
Ah well that makes a big difference. You should be good to go then staying airside.

For future reference, always worth specifying if you have checked bags or not for questions such as this

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.