Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŗ jour du champagne

JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŗ jour du champagne

Old Feb 9, 2024, 7:10 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
In Chelsea this morning from 8am-9am. Asked for Krug or Cristal. Was given Krug with multiple top ups.
seanp7, stewaran and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, to me, thatís the problem: I aak if they do not have any of the special list Champagne available and I expect them to answer that question, not to hide things unless I keep interrogating them, going down the list name by name and looking at them in the eyes with a ď mate, I know you are lyingĒ look. Iím not playing poker here, I am not bartering for carpets in a shuk trying to double guess the real price of something and how low my next offer should be. I am just in a place where people are supposed to deliver a certain service spontaneously, seamlessly, and making guests feel welcome.

I donít really want to change who I am or how I have been educated to ask for things just to get what Iím supposed to and which happens to be available.
Agreed. Itís the equivalent of walking into a restaurant and asking what todayís specials are and only being given one or two items. When you ask why the table next to you has beef wellington, which isnít on the menu, youíre told that you were supposed to ask the waiter specifically whether they have any pastry encrusted bovine on the specials.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by S.R
I'm curious if those of you who have not gotten any of the "special" champagnes have actually asked for them by name? Or did you just ask if they have anything more premium or special on offer?
Because my experience has been that whenever I asked for Krug, I have gotten it. If you ambiguously ask for what else they have on offer, they will most likely not mention the "good stuff."
I'll be in tomorrow morning, will report back on availability.
I watched this play out live the other night. I was at the bar enjoying a glass of Krug. Customer rocks up at the bar, obviously in the know. He asks for champagne "but the good stuff". The bar tender plays a bit clueless. "Moet?" and then eventually offers LPGS after a few knowing looks. I might be on the naughty list now as I intervened and declared there was Krug in the fridge. I got (jokingly?) chastised for "revealing our secrets". It's really astounding but I actually think this is literally what they've been trained to do. Don't ask don't get.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:37 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
I watched this play out live the other night. I was at the bar enjoying a glass of Krug. Customer rocks up at the bar, obviously in the know. He asks for champagne "but the good stuff". The bar tender plays a bit clueless. "Moet?" and then eventually offers LPGS after a few knowing looks. I might be on the naughty list now as I intervened and declared there was Krug in the fridge. I got (jokingly?) chastised for "revealing our secrets". It's really astounding but I actually think this is literally what they've been trained to do. Don't ask don't get.
Definitely on the naughty list! Iíve been on the right side of this so far (being a known person helps), but it is pretty ridiculous for a first class lounge to have to ask for a specific type of champagne multiple times to maybe get it.

I get the concerns of someone coming in and draining bottles, but Iíd suspect that the odds of that happening are generally low.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Did you not say something to the server? As in, can you please explain the eligibility criteria to me as it looks very much like you just discriminated against that person for no valid reason? Not sure I would have been able to keep quiet.
ryanbriar and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
The situation is unfortunately beyond the server or front-line staff control; one of them told me was really clear to me ( about 50%+ staff know me over there ) that they are first supposed to offer Moet, and then offer the specials which starts with LPGS; you are 95% likely to get Krug, Dom ( even Vintage or Lady Gaga edition ), Cristal, etc... if they have it and if you ask it nicely by name.

The issue is regarding the management decision ( not sure if it's Sodexo, BA, AA or another joint-operation/company who makes this decision ) where frontline staff has no power and if they don't follow their job descriptions they could be easily fired, removed from their position, get assigned a different position via the same company ( some were already previously threatened to get moved to Greenwich/Soho which they care a lot ), etc... Labor laws are not strong in the USA, compared to the UK, European Union and some other countries so arguing with the servers would result in nothing but just harming them.

While the situation is ridiculous, not sure where the best place is to complain because I did see lots of people even complaining to the Chelsea Manager on duty ( D***** - gentleman with the white curly hair ) on my recent visits, things haven't changed for months.
seanp7, ryanbriar and Parterre like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
"Don't ask, don't get" is pretty much a philosophy for dealing with airlines (and other companies), and that is why websites like Flyertalk exist so that site members can swap tips on improving our travel experiences.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
"Don't ask, don't get" is pretty much a philosophy for dealing with airlines (and other companies), and that is why websites like Flyertalk exist so that site members can swap tips on improving our travel experiences.
i am sure you wouldn't like it tho if it was you not "getting" something which should be available to you without going through riddles.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
i am sure you wouldn't like it tho if it was you not "getting" something which should be available to you without going through riddles.
indeed. Additionally, I simply donít agree with the basic premise - in airlinesí best lounges, Iíve been pro-actively offered great stuff when available and off the menu multiple times. Thatís been true of lounges where much of the staff knows me (eg ccr and the t7 ccr before) but also lounges where Iím not regular enough to be known ;eg AF P lounge, QF f lounge at MEL etc). You are not asking for something the airline has not decided to provide here, and typically, staff mission in the very best lounge is to give all customers as fabulous an experience as possible. Apparently this is not how it is conceived in Chelsea.

Ps: incidentally, donít agree with the premise more broadly either. For instance I donít think asking for upgrades increases your chances to get them at all.
seanp7, ryanbriar and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Today.... we have Roederer. Vintage to be fair. Or the LP Rose. Tried being direct. Asked for everything by name. Much protestation. I decided to escalate to the new manager. Lots of looks in the fridge. No sir there's nothing. At this point my conflict aversion crept in and I gave up despite there seeming to be someone senior from AA wandering around. The guests apparently want port. All I want is a decent glass of champagne. What a game this is. You just never know.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Asked for everything by name. Much protestation. I decided to escalate to the new manager. Lots of looks in the fridge. No sir there's nothing. At this point my conflict aversion crept in and I gave up despite there seeming to be someone senior from AA wandering around. The guests apparently want port. All I want is a decent glass of champagne. What a game this is. You just never know.
Just... bizarre.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Ps: incidentally, don’t agree with the premise more broadly either. For instance I don’t think asking for upgrades increases your chances to get them at all.
I agree. F Dine on Demand is another example; you shouldn't have to ask for a meal and it's a problem or it's all out when it's a promised service element (within reason).
orbitmic and crazy8534 like this.

Last edited by seanp7; Feb 14, 2024 at 7:16 pm
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Krug was available on Wednesday.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
So I was in Chelsea yesterday;

All standard champagnes on the menu were there.
Louis Roderer Vintage 2015 and Dom Pťrignon Vintage 2013 available on request if you ask through name. No Krug, No Cristal, no LPGS.
There were only two bottles for the day of the Dom and during my visit the first one got finished so not sure about the situation later in the evening.

People who asked for signature series was directed first to Louis Roderer Vintage 2015 but it looks like most people were happy with Moet during my visit.
I would share a more detailed insight in the Chelsea thread.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in Chelsea yesterday as well, and Dom Pťrignon Vintage 2013, Krug Grande Cuvťe, LPGS and Louis Roderer Vintage 2015 as special.
The only champagne that was not available was Louis Roderer Cristal.

Dom and Krug was offered upon request by name and everyone who asked during my visit has got it. People who asked for specials were offered LPGS first and all of the people were happy with that.
When I was leaving the lounge, one of the managers was bringing plenty of stock with a cart of almost all champagnes ( the trolley mostly had Moet ) so there shouldn't be stock issues these days.
seanp7, lorcancoyle and crazy8534 like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Thank goodness for FT and this thread, otherwise I would have been completely unprepared for my visit there last weekend.

Wasnít hungry when I arrived so sat down outside the dining area initially. Server came by and I asked about premium champagne options. He said it was 2015 Louis Roederer. I asked about Dom and he said they didnít have any.

Later went to eat in the dining area and asked again (also a different server). This time Krug was offered without me having to mention it specifically.
Parterre likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.