Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne

JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne

Old Jan 31, 2024, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Earlier this week it took a number of 'gallic shrugs' to get to a reluctant glass of 'Dom' but once there I was amongst a few who were blowing 'golden tickets' around

Luckily I quickly left to be offered LGPS by a 'one in a million' crew on the aircraft
Koru Flyer and BA or bust like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 7:54 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Asked for "one of the quirky champagnes like Cristal or Dom Rose" and was offered Krug NV 171th edition at the bar tonight
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
Sunday, 21 January, flew out of JFK on BA 116. Sat down at the restaurant in Chelsea and, when I asked the server, was told only LPGS was being served as the 'special' champagne for the evening. Twenty minutes later I sat near the bar after eating and noticed the bartender open a bottle of Dom. Walked up and asked him for a glass. Seems like guests have a better chance of getting something nicer at the bar, in my experience, since the answer I have gotten at the restaurant on three occasions is, 'we are only serving LPGS tonight'.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
that is pretty much my experience, they will tell you only X is available when you ask what specials they have, yet 10 minutes later you see a bottle of Y has appeared and being served to someone else at the bar. pretty pathetic behaviour tbh.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Not wanting to drag this off topic into OMNI territory but... does tipping result in a different experience? I have heard varying views / outcomes but not tried it myself.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
Asked for "one of the quirky champagnes like Cristal or Dom Rose" and was offered Krug NV 171th edition at the bar tonight
Nice to meet you by the way
alexwuk likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I spent an embarrassing number of hours in the Chelsea on Tuesday and didn’t ask for or consume any alcohol 😱
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
We were offered LPGS yesterday afternoon, but after gentle persuasion, Nalini produced "the big K," as she called it, and proceeded to keep us topped up
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 2015 will be available from 1st March in F to/from JFK and in the CCR per BA instagram.
seanp7 and fluffymitten like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:51 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by enemigo
Nice to meet you by the way
Ex-EU ticket and the Flightradar app installed: I should have put 1&1 together and realised I was talking to a flyertalker.
You guys had top banter 😂
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Tonight we have (drumroll please). Our signature selection. LPGS! Yes but what else? Ruinart. How about Krug? We have Dom.

Honestly actually impressive knowledge of champagne hierarchy. If you don't ask - you get the Moet Nectar Imperial. I pity those not in the know.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have had the same experience on the same day. They were really trying to push the LPGS or the LP rose, and you had to engage in CIA interrogation techniques to get anything beyond. I find this annoying as when I am in a lounge I'd like to be treated as a guest, not as some inspector from whom you hide think and I precisely don't like to ask questions.

Having said that, the cocktails and notably the Champagne cocktails are very nice in Chelsea. Having tried pretty much all of them by now, I am partial to the smokey Champagne cocktail (with Lagavulin) and to the "quite contrary" which is a playful take on "inversed" Bloody Mary.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 3, 2024 at 2:00 am
Old Feb 8, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Chelsea today LPGS, no other 'specials'. Was hoping for Christal but maybe next time.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:59 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm curious if those of you who have not gotten any of the "special" champagnes have actually asked for them by name? Or did you just ask if they have anything more premium or special on offer?
Because my experience has been that whenever I asked for Krug, I have gotten it. If you ambiguously ask for what else they have on offer, they will most likely not mention the "good stuff."
I'll be in tomorrow morning, will report back on availability.
Singapore_Air and seanp7 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by S.R
I'm curious if those of you who have not gotten any of the "special" champagnes have actually asked for them by name? Or did you just ask if they have anything more premium or special on offer?
Because my experience has been that whenever I asked for Krug, I have gotten it. If you ambiguously ask for what else they have on offer, they will most likely not mention the "good stuff."
Well, to me, that’s the problem: I ask if they do not have any of the special list Champagne available and I expect them to answer that question, not to hide things unless I keep interrogating them, going down the list name by name and looking at them in the eyes with a “ mate, I know you are lying” look. I’m not playing poker here, I am not bartering for carpets in a shuk trying to double guess the real price of something and how low my next offer should be. I am just in a place where people are supposed to deliver a certain service spontaneously, seamlessly, and making guests relax and feel welcome.

I don’t really want to change who I am or how I have been educated to ask for things just to get what I’m supposed to and which happens to be available, and I don't want to have the impression a bartender is thinking I'm stupid by telling me nothing else is available before producing a bottle of what was not available 2 minutes ago to someone else just because they asked more forcibly.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 9, 2024 at 10:06 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.