Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holidays Double Tier Points Promotion | 2024 edition

BA Holidays Double Tier Points Promotion | 2024 edition

Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
But there is also precedence for companies claiming that a fare or set of conditions was clearly an error and should not have been relied on.
I agree that caution is always best, and that if there was a 'clear error' (typically something that doesn't make sense or is so out of line with the market a reasonable person could not take it as valid - e.g 'if you cancel your holiday, we'll be liable to pay you in full) one should worry. However. in this case, I would have to say that i do not see anything that makes either set of conditions a clear error and personally do not share the view that the early ones should obviously be deemed correct. This conclusion relies on the (worthily cautious) assumption that tightening of conditions was more likely than loosening of them, but we have actually seen both trends. Personally, in the absence of any obvious oddity (and i see both sets as credible and coherent in their own rights), I would assume that the conditions with the latest date (here, 24/11) should be deemed correct.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:29 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by Leeward90
I booked a very last minute BA flight+hotel last night to Istanbul. Is it normal that I havent received any email confirmation of the hotel booking? Im already at the airport and these things worry me.
It should be in your e-ticket receipt that you got the flight details in.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
oh what have I missed?? Did a booking this evening and didnt show the extra money off!
I read you have to call the BAH agent and it's on the agent's discretion (must have been on BAH booking site - since I have not read anything outside of FT nor BAH since yesterday). Not sure how it works myself since I'm just about to book them.
Originally Posted by Holidays - Save up to an extra 300 on holidays
Under TnC: Holidays - Save up to an extra 300 on holidays
10. Prices advertised on ba.com include the additional discount where applicable. Quotes in our Create your trip booking tool will not include any applicable discounts discounts in this book flow will be applied at the discretion of British Airways Holidays and you must call to have your discount applied.

Last edited by GordonMacPherson; Jan 6, 2024 at 6:16 am
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:38 am

I agree that caution is always best, and that if there was a 'clear error' (typically something that doesn't make sense or is so out of line with the market a reasonable person could not take it as valid - e.g 'if you cancel your holiday, we'll be liable to pay you in full) one should worry. However. in this case, I would have to say that i do not see anything that makes either set of conditions a clear error and personally do not share the view that the early ones should obviously be deemed correct. This conclusion relies on the (worthily cautious) assumption that tightening of conditions was more likely than loosening of them, but we have actually seen both trends. Personally, in the absence of any obvious oddity (and i see both sets as credible and coherent in their own rights), I would assume that the conditions with the latest date (here, 24/11) should be deemed correct.
Yes, this is all true and perfectly arguable. FTers vary greatly in their attitude to risk and hassle. So I can see some people wanting to book claiming the Nov conditions while they are accessible and arguing as you have done if BA initially denies them. I see that as having a reasonably high probability of success, but perhaps some hassle. Others are more conservative and don't want any risk, in which case it is safest to assume the worst case scenario of the Sept conditions until we have 100% clarity. Anything that is valid under the sept conditions is also valid under the Nov conditions.
Like Tobias, I suspect what they have actually done is update the wrong dates on the two docs. The one that says Nov should say Sept and the one that says Sept should say Nov.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC
This is a difficult issue. If two sets of T&Cs are displayed you have an argument to apply the one with the later date as long as you get evidence that this was the case at the time of booking. But there is also precedence for companies claiming that a fare or set of conditions was clearly an error and should not have been relied on.
You may well win a claim in court even if the terms were an error, but not everyone has the will to go through that pain.
The Nov conditions do look exactly like what the conditions were before the various changes and it seems unlikely that such a reversion would have taken place, so I would unfortunately take this with a pinch of salt.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/69

The statutory position is that where (consumer) contractual terms conflict or are ambiguous, the interpretation most favourable to the consumer will be applied.
remaxmac and Robert279 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I have seen no reports that anyone has fallen foul of this, but it remains untested as to how strict it it.
Several people believe that it is based on the country of residence of your BAEC account and there have been some posters who have changed their residency on that account before making a booking.
But many of those bookings will have been made after the T&C change and will not have been travelled yet, so the exact details are hard to be sure of.
If your BAEC account country, billing address of payment card and BA site used to make the booking are all UK based it is hard to see how they would know if you currently lay your head in another locale.
I changed my BAEC account country and telephone numbers to the UK. I cannot change my credit card to UK.

However, I will see what happens to my TPs when I book my flights to Canada and then my 5+ night holiday elsewhere after that.

As I will stay in Canada for at least 6 weeks, I cannot use that part of my travels to book through BAH with a car rental to obtain double TPs.😢 The T&C state a maximum of 30 days to be elegible for double TPs with a car rental of 5+ nights. I will just book the car rentals as I go along in Canada...

No matter as the post-Canada holiday booking through BAH will get me to enough TPs to maintain my Silver status.

Similarly, a planned trip to Australia will be of 6+ weeks so there is no way to use that trip to get double TPs either. 🙄
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/69
The statutory position is that where (consumer) contractual terms conflict or are ambiguous, the interpretation most favourable to the consumer will be applied.
I agree, but many companies have certainly forced people through the courts rather than admit this up front. Presumably because they know that lots of people will just give up at that point. BA also has a history of initially denying compensation that is clearly due and should really be given automatically, so who knows whether they would be like that with this as well.
flarmip likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:20 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by flyslow
Up to 300 off, which requires minimum 10K flight and hotel booking with a list of hotels excluded from thee offer.
An extra 300 off when you spend 10,000+ on flight + hotel
An extra 200 off when you spend 5,000+ on flight + hotel
An extra 100 off when you spend 2,500+ on flight + hotel or flight + car
An extra 50 off when you spend 1,250+ on flight + hotel or flight + car
An extra 25 off when you spend 625+ on flight + car
At least this is one thing you can fairly reliably expect as part of BA Sales. I've been holding out on booking my BAH BAH () until this extra discount popped up, but now I can go ahead
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:44 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I agree, but many companies have certainly forced people through the courts rather than admit this up front. Presumably because they know that lots of people will just give up at that point. BA also has a history of initially denying compensation that is clearly due and should really be given automatically, so who knows whether they would be like that with this as well.
My bigger concern would be that you are not claiming a direct financial loss - it's missing points in a loyalty scheme - points which don't have a justifiable value (like Avios would).

So you'd probably have to MCOL them for the lowest fare cost to earn those TPs? Seems pretty risky to me.
sayling likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It should be in your e-ticket receipt that you got the flight details in.
Oh yes, youre right! Overlooked that in the panic.

Thank you.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
My bigger concern would be that you are not claiming a direct financial loss - it's missing points in a loyalty scheme - points which don't have a justifiable value (like Avios would).

So you'd probably have to MCOL them for the lowest fare cost to earn those TPs? Seems pretty risky to me.
Legal remedies extend beyond just MCOL. I seriously doubt BA would have any grounds to argue this anyway. Consumers are not expected to scour websites to check for different sets of terms - if one enters into a contract based upon terms published on the other partys webpage then both parties will be bound by those terms. I would have zero issue booking and relying on those terms (of course take a screenshot of the terms when booking) if I were not a UK resident.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:40 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
The BA Holiday finder does not appear to cover India. When I try and book flights, I am offered a hotel, but it gives me the option of adding the hotel to my basket than booking flights and hotel in one go. No mention of double tier points.

Does BA consider this a Holiday eligible for double tier points? Seems to be the same for China, and perhaps other places too?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 2358
The BA Holiday finder does not appear to cover India.?
ive certainly been able to price bah to Mumbai and Delhi in the past.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:13 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
ive certainly been able to price bah to Mumbai and Delhi in the past.
I think I can answer my question. India, China not on the Holiday Finder, but looks like double TPs can be earned if you book flight plus hotel rather than adding the hotel to the flights. May be available for the latter, but I get the magic red words when doing the former.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
There is certainly a clear error here to the extent that both sets of T&Cs are not intended to be published or be in force simultaneously. My view is that BA intends to rely on the 27 September 2023 Second Edition of the T&Cs. I say this because that edition of the T&Cs is the one found on the main Earn Double Tier Points on Holidays promotion page.

The 24 November 2023 edition of the T&Cs is found, almost hidden, at the very bottom of the British Airways Holidays title page. This tab appears a remnant of a previous version of that page. In fact if you inspect 24 November 2023 version of the T&Cs you will see it is exactly the same as an older edition of the T&Cs save for the date at Paragraph 9. As you scroll down the British Airways Holidays title page there is a featured item entitled 'Double Tier Points on Holidays'. If one follows the links in that item you are taken to the Earn Double Tier Points on Holidays page and the 27 September 2023 T&Cs.

There are two editions of the T&Cs with the 27 September 2023 date (both editions will be found in Post #2). I mentioned earlier that I think the date is wrong in the 27 September 2023 Second Edition T&Cs. There is only one substantive difference between these editions and that is found in new Paragraph 1(b) "The booking must be made by a UK resident and must originate and end in the UK". The residency condition did not appear in the First Edition of the 27 September T&Cs.

What adds more weight to my belief the 27 September 2023 Edition Two has the incorrect date is that the new residency requirement was first spotted by scottishpoet on 23 November 2023. I suspect that is the day the new edition of the T&Cs was uploaded by BA. It is likely someone at BA noticed the discussion on FT and changed the date on the wrong T&Cs to 24 November 2023 using an old link and remnant of an old landing page.

All this being said, there are clearly two editions of the T&Cs published on ba.com. The law will generally side with the consumer where there is doubt about the terms and conditions in a consumer contract and on that basis I would expect BA to give in to any challenge (with a little bit of persuasion) and honour (what I believe to be) the erroneously published 24 November 2023 T&Cs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.