Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holidays Double Tier Points Promotion | 2024 edition

BA Holidays Double Tier Points Promotion | 2024 edition

Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:36 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: London, UK
Posts: 124
Hello all - mildly concerned as we have a 5 night hol to OTP coming up, but it only qualifies for the double TP promotion by 30mins as the outbound LHR-OTP arrives at 2330. We are using car hire to qualify for the promotion, in a delay situation that would see us arriving after midnight, will we still be eligible for the double TPs? Many thanks
smiles in the aisles is online now  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:53 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 100
Good morning and Happy New Year!

When booking a flight+hotel package I always get the message “Executive Club members earn Double Tier Points”, but I never get it when choosing flight+car. T&C says the latter is still eligible however the lack of confirmation on the booking screen makes me nervous...
Daventry is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 3:12 am
  #18  
zsc
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: LHR / LCY / DXB
Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by Daventry
Good morning and Happy New Year!

When booking a flight+hotel package I always get the message “Executive Club members earn Double Tier Points”, but I never get it when choosing flight+car. T&C says the latter is still eligible however the lack of confirmation on the booking screen makes me nervous...
Might it be because you hadn't met the 5 night qualifying rental period? I recall seeing this when I made my booking yesterday, and was able to replicate:

If the 5-night period is not met, you won't see the double TP text, like so:
zsc is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 3:21 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 100
Ah yes, that was the issue! Thank you very much!
zsc likes this.
Daventry is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:19 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Forest of Dean
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 91
I am looking at buying flights to Tokyo for 2 weeks but with just 5 hotel nights booked through BA - we would travel around the country and BA doesn't offer hotels everywhere; although there are a few in eg Osaka. I thought this would be bookable as a BAH but it seems not via the website. From the information further up the thread it seems that I would need to book hotels for the whole trip to qualify both for BAH Ts&Cs (book with a deposit) and double tier points. Is that correct or could it be solved by phoning up?
Caerbannog is online now  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:57 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Posts: 4,570
Originally Posted by Caerbannog
I am looking at buying flights to Tokyo for 2 weeks but with just 5 hotel nights booked through BA - we would travel around the country and BA doesn't offer hotels everywhere; although there are a few in eg Osaka. I thought this would be bookable as a BAH but it seems not via the website. From the information further up the thread it seems that I would need to book hotels for the whole trip to qualify both for BAH Ts&Cs (book with a deposit) and double tier points. Is that correct or could it be solved by phoning up?
Provide you are UK based and have at least 5 full nights of hotel(s) and or car hire you are OK. The post further up reflects the US T’s&C’s which seem to be a bit unclear.
crazy8534 and DeathSlam like this.

Last edited by BA or bust; Jan 3, 2024 at 7:08 am
BA or bust is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:41 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 584
A cautionary tale for anyone accruing bonus TP around the time of their yearly reset.

The OH completed a 5 night BAH in the week before his 2022 reset, the 160 bonus TP's then posted into the 2023 membership year and weren't backdated - at least that's how they looked to us. They showed on the account statement, they showed as being counted towards the new total and when 1500 was hit, it said as expected that Gold had been renewed. Jump forward to the 2023 reset and an unexpected drop to Silver on December 31st.

Due to an IT glitch, despite those bonus TP's showing to the front end user as being in one year, the backend has them (rightfully) credited to the former so the website/app were showing incorrect information. Thankfully we completed additional flying in the immediate weeks after the November 8th reset so those TP's are being moved across to the preceding year to meet the renewal threshold.

Obviously the backend is right here, we never even gave it a second thought at the time when it happened so once passing 1500 nearly a year later, thought job done and moved on to focusing on 2024.

So if you find yourself in a similar situation, remember it happened and remember that you'll likely need to earn more than you think and you may not have actually achieved the TP nor the status the website/app may be suggesting.
BA or bust and crazy8534 like this.

Last edited by BJ787; Jan 3, 2024 at 8:43 am
BJ787 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:11 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Posts: 4,663
Originally Posted by BJ787
A cautionary tail for anyone accruing bonus TP around the time of their yearly reset.

The OH completed a 5 night BAH in the week before his 2022 reset, the 160 bonus TP's then posted into the 2023 membership year and weren't backdated - at least that's how they looked to us. They showed on the account statement, they showed as being counted towards the new total and when 1500 was hit, it said as expected that Gold had been renewed. Jump forward to the 2023 reset and an unexpected drop to Silver on December 31st.

Due to an IT glitch, despite those bonus TP's showing to the front end user as being in one year, the backend has them (rightfully) credited to the former so the website/app were showing incorrect information. Thankfully we completed additional flying in the immediate weeks after the November 8th reset so those TP's are being moved across to the preceding year to meet the renewal threshold.

Obviously the backend is right here, we never even gave it a second thought at the time when it happened so once passing 1500 nearly a year later, thought job done and moved on to focusing on 2024.

So if you find yourself in a similar situation, remember it happened and remember that you'll likely need to earn more than you think and you may not have actually achieved the TP nor the status the website/app may be suggesting.
It is a very good point and I believe there was at least one other similar case reported last year.
Certainly don't rely on any bonus TPs earned by flying in the previous year which show up in your account as having accrued in the following year.

This appears to be separate to another issue which some people have come across which was that bonus TPs were not treated correctly (when earned in the appropriate year) when renewing status, but that is an error on BA's part which should be soluble by contacting BA.
crazy8534 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:14 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 12
IB flight in a BAH booking

Apologies if this has been asked in the past - the 2023 thread became quite lengthy!

I have a BA Holiday booking which appears to meet the criteria but with one wrinkle. One of the flights has an IB flight number. There are also four BA flight numbers, three of which are on BA metal and the other is on an IB plane. I also have 5 nights hotel included. The trip begins and ends in the UK. All flights are business.

My reading of the current T&C’s is that the four flights with BA flight numbers will attract double tier points but the IB coded flight might not. If it makes a difference nowadays, it’s Iberia Express, but it is an IB code, not I2.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I hope I haven’t fallen into a loophole that excludes the entire booking from double TP!

Thanks!
Magic.Island is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:36 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by zsc
Might it be because you hadn't met the 5 night qualifying rental period? I recall seeing this when I made my booking yesterday, and was able to replicate:

If the 5-night period is not met, you won't see the double TP text, like so:
I must still be tired from New Year or something but how is the 2nd booking not valid under the 5 night rule? The car is picked up on the afternoon of 11th January and returned on the afternoon of 16th January. So that’s overnight of the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th before returning on the 16th.
David_Doyle is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:31 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Posts: 4,663
Originally Posted by Magic.Island
Apologies if this has been asked in the past - the 2023 thread became quite lengthy!

I have a BA Holiday booking which appears to meet the criteria but with one wrinkle. One of the flights has an IB flight number. There are also four BA flight numbers, three of which are on BA metal and the other is on an IB plane. I also have 5 nights hotel included. The trip begins and ends in the UK. All flights are business.

My reading of the current T&C’s is that the four flights with BA flight numbers will attract double tier points but the IB coded flight might not. If it makes a difference nowadays, it’s Iberia Express, but it is an IB code, not I2.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I hope I haven’t fallen into a loophole that excludes the entire booking from double TP!

Thanks!
You will get the double TPs for all the eligible flights, just not for the ineligible flight where you will only get the usual TPs.
Actually, you may find some variance in your favour (e.g. on AA coded flights), but obviously don't rely on it.

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
I must still be tired from New Year or something but how is the 2nd booking not valid under the 5 night rule? The car is picked up on the afternoon of 11th January and returned on the afternoon of 16th January. So that’s overnight of the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th before returning on the 16th.
The absence of the "double tier points" tagline on the booking doesn't really relate to its eligibility.
If you have 5 "over midnight" car nights booked or 5 hotel nights with a UK start then you will get the double TPs.
The second booking in the quoted post would be eligible.
David_Doyle likes this.
crazy8534 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:37 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by crazy8534
The absence of the "double tier points" tagline on the booking doesn't really relate to its eligibility.
If you have 5 "over midnight" car nights booked or 5 hotel nights with a UK start then you will get the double TPs.
The second booking in the quoted post would be eligible.
Phew thanks, I’m not going mad haha. My booking to Miami did not come up with the double tier points message at time of booking but is definitely 5 “nights”

crazy8534 likes this.
David_Doyle is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:39 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by crazy8534
You will get the double TPs for all the eligible flights, just not for the ineligible flight where you will only get the usual TPs.
Actually, you may find some variance in your favour (e.g. on AA coded flights), but obviously don't rely on it.

Thank you! That was my hope.

In reference to another thread…..this is why the BA Forum is so well attended!
Magic.Island is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:16 am
  #29  
zsc
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: LHR / LCY / DXB
Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
I must still be tired from New Year or something but how is the 2nd booking not valid under the 5 night rule? The car is picked up on the afternoon of 11th January and returned on the afternoon of 16th January. So that’s overnight of the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th before returning on the 16th.
The '5 night' rule perplexes me as well from a car rental perspective. It worked out in my case because the cheapest flights were 11/1 to 17/1 (i.e. 6 nights), so I figured paying a few quid extra was worth it for the peace of mind, and the BA website seems to 'agree' with my selection.

I don't have an answer as to why the rental from 11/1 to 16/1 doesn't count as 5 nights, maybe someone else might.

EDIT: from crazy8534's response below, it seems like this is just another BA IT gremlin?

Originally Posted by crazy8534
The absence of the "double tier points" tagline on the booking doesn't really relate to its eligibility.
If you have 5 "over midnight" car nights booked or 5 hotel nights with a UK start then you will get the double TPs.
The second booking in the quoted post would be eligible.

Last edited by zsc; Jan 3, 2024 at 10:20 am Reason: answered question
zsc is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2024, 11:10 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,038
Possibly asked before, but a search doesn't provide an answer: if booking a "5 night" holiday in let's say DXB, but the return flight is at 0100 meaning that you won't have stayed at the hotel that night - would that still count as 5 nights for the purposes of double TPs?
CatchThePigeon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.