DYKWIA | 2024 edition

Old Dec 31, 2023, 9:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

DYKWIA | 2024 edition

This thread is a continuation of the ever popular DYKWIA | 2023 edition thread.

Airports are funny places. While they are increasingly designed to both complement and positively influence human behaviour, some of our fellow passengers do on occasion suffer a complete loss of composure and/or self awareness. This thread celebrates those amusing lapses of, well, lets call it social etiquette.

We also have a sister thread dedicated to our musings of the use of Executive Club baggage tags, fair or faux pas, which you can find here: BAEC luggage tags: practical utility or personal statement?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Don't know if this counts but...

Prior to Xmas I flew to New Orleans, via Miami. For various reasons I was the last person to arrive at the connecting gate - the Captain was stood there and heartily welcomed me on board, walking me down the airbridge. Upon arriving at 1F I noticed 1D's bag in the overhead. 1D was a slightly bohemian looking older gentleman.

I placed my luggage (small backpack) alongside his in the overhead.

As I stepped into my seat he challenged me as to where I'd put my luggage and I tersely said "alongside yours". He became virtually apoplectic. He asked repeatedly and I told him repeatedly, ALONGSIDE yours.

I settled into my seat and rapidly dozed off. When I came to he was regaling 1A and C about his ownership of some shops in Nawlins and the make and model of his private jet. I drifted back to sleep and woke for landing. He disappeared quickly. I went to retrieve my bag and found it wasn't there. Seems he'd moved it to the opposite side of the cabin several rows back. So with the flow of pax I had to wait a while to retrieve it.

Regretfully I couldn't be bothered finding him at the carousel (what would be the point?) as I already knew my luggage was still in MIA so I just left for my hotel. Bit galling though.
tmac100, T8191, Nick_USA and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Deckard
I settled into my seat and rapidly dozed off. When I came to he was regaling 1A and C about his ownership of some shops in Nawlins and the make and model of his private jet. I drifted back to sleep and woke for landing. He disappeared quickly. I went to retrieve my bag and found it wasn't there. Seems he'd moved it to the opposite side of the cabin several rows back. So with the flow of pax I had to wait a while to retrieve it.
How annoying. You should have asked why he was flying AA and not on his jet .
Old Jan 2, 2024, 5:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Prior to Xmas I flew to New Orleans, via Miami. For various reasons I was the last person to arrive at the connecting gate - the Captain was stood there and heartily welcomed me on board, walking me down the airbridge. Upon arriving at 1F I noticed 1D's bag in the overhead. 1D was a slightly bohemian looking older gentleman.
So lesson learnt - take the aisle to stop bag movers? If he wants to move your bag he has to wake u first. Also, you get to stop him from getting off before you.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Whilst we're talking about moving luggage I have a self DYKWIA to report from a few months back.

Was on a KL flight and when I boarded the baggage racks in EBC were completely full despite only being one gentleman in the whole cabin. I randomly moved one bag from the bin immediately above my seat to a bin further back in Y, but with my bad luck (and to be honest it was inconsiderate of me in the first place) looks like that was the gentleman's bag. (Or maybe they were all his...)

Follwing my example of not asking before acting (in which case I would gladly have put it back), the gentleman stood up and without a word, removed my bag and put it in in the Y cabin, then regrabbed his bag and put it back where it originally was, all whilst staring at me. Then only after this was all done, with a face flushed red with anger he said "Don't touch my things". I told him sheepishly that I was very sorry, but there was probably no salvaging our chance of ever becoming friends.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Seems he'd moved it to the opposite side of the cabin several rows back. So with the flow of pax I had to wait a while to retrieve it.
To be fair, I have done a similar thing once ARN-LHR.

During boarding, the pax in front of me put their bags overhead my seat in biz. Ok, no biggie, until I saw them trundling off deep down way past the curtain. So I arranged a free bag relocation service to the closest available spot I could find, and yes, it did happen to be on the other side of the aircraft. It was either going to be my bag or theirs. So as a favour I relocated their bag closer to their seat, a few rows back. Slightly more challenging for them during their egress, was that this was a twin-aisle 767.

Last edited by Howard Long; Jan 5, 2024 at 10:05 pm
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Cheeky

I travelled yesterday in an A320 in CE ex LHR (flight details withheld to protect the, um, guilty). It was a pretty lsat minute booking (booked a few days before), and when choosing seating, all of CE was unavailable except for row 1 which was completely empty. That's fine, I like the bulkhead, so chose 1A, and hoped 1C would stay empty (as it often is when Golds have chosen 1A).

When I got on the plane, a woman was in 1A (my seat) and a man in 1C. I said to the woman "excuse me, I think you're in my seat". She started to apologise and get up to move, but the man asked if I could sit in row 2 as he and his partner could not find a seat together. I have no problem with asking, but I actually wanted the bulkhead row, and it transpired the woman's correct seat was in fact 2C (not a million miles away), and the man appeared to find it difficult to take no for an answer. Eventually I said "well, this is the better seat, so why don't you ask whoever is in 2A behind you to swap with you - I'm sure they'd be glad of the slightly better seat and you can sit next to your partner". At this point the woman moved back a row, and the man continued to sit in 1C quietly fuming.

Once the door closed, after some conversation between the two in a language I don't understand, the man got up and went to sit in 2A (behind me), still evidently cross. Whatever the language was had a word used quite a lot that sounds a lot like "ducking". And the charming individual decided to put his knees into the back of the seat regularly throughout the flight.

I am 90% sure that actually both were originally assigned to row 2 (2A and 2C), and they just thought they would like the bulkhead row.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:23 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
In that sort of situation I might say… ‘very sorry but I paid for that specific seat’.
Technically I might have ‘paid’ by flying a lot on BA to achieve status… so though I might not have shelled out cash specifically… but ‘pay’ I did.

In any case… life is to short to worry about childish behaviour like that person exhibited.

PS Just to add that I speak and/or understand quite a few few languages. So in many cases like that I would able to say something along the lines of ‘very nice to meet you’ or ‘hope you have a nice stay in XXX’ at the end of the flight. Though only did that once in a similar situation… the look of horror on their face was worth it!
You might want to invest in learning a few more languages so you can enjoy doing that in future.
HIDDY, T8191, the810 and 15 others like this.

Last edited by BA or bust; Jan 7, 2024 at 1:33 am
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
On the subject of speaking several languages I have a friend who is able to speak Italian fluently as a second language and one day she and a friend were walking down Weybridge High Street in Surrey and commented in Italian that the lady walking ahead of them had a very big ar*e and those leggings didnt do her any favours at all.

To her horror the lady turned around and replied in perfect Italian that she'd heard everything my friend had said and furthermore my friend wasn't looking too good for her age and perhaps best not to assume that she would not be understood.

As for the two wrongly seated I am glad OP stood their ground. I hope that the man has sore knees after being so childish.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Any reasonable person would not be 'fuming' at being politely told no and it sounds like the gentleman needed to understand that you don't always get what you want. This incident will 'hopefully' serve as a learning and make them less entitled they next time they are politely told no.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:35 am

Rather than entering into further conversation with the interlopers once met with resistance for them to move, it's just easier (for me) to let the cabin crew deal with the situation and resolve the situation.

They've had their opportunity by that point to do the right thing and the semantics where they've ended up sat on board aren't my problem. They also had the opportunity to pay for seats at time of booking if sitting together was important but again they've chosen not to.

People can indeed be childish about such things including using their knees in the back of your seat to provoke a reaction. Take solace in knowing you're the better person by not reacting to their behaviour. It might have been tempting to recline your seat at that point but that may have started them off on to another level.
BA or bust, Modo, HIDDY and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
They've had their opportunity by that point to do the right thing and the semantics where they've ended up sat on board aren't my problem. They also had the opportunity to pay for seats at time of booking if sitting together was important but again they've chosen not to.
The fact the man was so cross despite actually getting to sit next to his travelling companion (in row 2) was the real giveaway that this was nothing to do them being unable to sit together and everything to do with not nabbing the bulkhead!

With regard to the other post, I didn't actually get riled at all, mainly because I thought the behaviour was sufficiently childish to be funny. Well, I didn't get riled until it transpired BA had lost my checked luggage, but that's another story!

My favourite story of someone being in my seat was a rather self-important woman who claimed the seat was hers (xxx D I think), and refused to show me her boarding pass. I showed her my BP but she wasn't interested in looking. Eventually I involved the cabin crew who very gently pointed out to her that her seat was xxx C. She did a fabulous job of pretending this was the cabin crew's fault in some way - they gave me a most excellent eye roll.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:11 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by abligh
She did a fabulous job of pretending this was the cabin crew's fault in some way - they gave me a most excellent eye roll.
You see examples of this 'face saving' behaviour all over the animal kingdom. I spotted a squirrel on my window sill this morning (one way windows so it didn't know I was on the other side). When I opened the window it lept about 20 feet and then sat there shaking its tail at me as if I was in the wrong I am sure you can think of many other examples. My point is that being nice in adversity is the behaviour of someone who has to some extent overcome their basic animal instincts, perhaps we could regard air travel as a type of gom jabbar.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
in the last few years i can only recall one instance where someone was in the wrong seat (was on austrian embraer biz where the next seat is blocked) and immediately went to crew to advise the pax was in the wrong seat and it was taken care of.

if i saw someone in 1A i would not engage rather turn around and let crew deal with it and presumably the husband as well and usually cuts off the convo about not being able to sit together etc as i have seen plenty of times where crew apologize/nothing can be done etc in a nice way.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by VSLover

if i saw someone in 1A i would not engage rather turn around and let crew deal with it
Would be a bit odd not to engage at all surely - a polite "I think this is my seat". I've once accidentally sat in the wrong seat (out by 1 row) and similarly have had people accidentally in mine. All sorted out in good natured fashion like grown ups. Pre-emptive involvement of crew seems a bit like running to teacher.
Strawb, HIDDY, percysmith and 12 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.