DYKWIA | 2024 edition

Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:34 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
And if everyone did it then it would take over an hour to board an A320…
Wasn’t oceanscape in 777 CW? If on a narrowbody, the politeness factor should be lower (or at least everyone’s tolerance of what you’ll take in and out of bags will be).
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
Oh, how I hate those people who take 20 seconds to put their bag in the overhead locker when people are trying to get past.

Count it: 20 seconds is a very, very long time to be faffing about and blocking the aisle.
LOL. FWIW, I had an annoying (and somewhat flustered / embarrassing) moment where half the contents of my backpack decided to spill out into the aisle whilst I was putting it into the overhead. Hence my request that she kindly allowed me 20 seconds. I'd also add that nobody was behind her (except her husband) -- in any event, I was in in 6A so there were only a small handful of seats in front of me. On a normal day? I reckon 3 seconds.
BA or bust, LCSinTexas and Mekko like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Anyone wish to own up to being the DYKWIA whose lounge-wine-fuelled “I’m a Gold Card Holder!” behaviour during boarding of BA2621 at INN last Friday led to them being offloaded, delaying the departure ?
BOH, higham44, 1Aturnleft and 23 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Anyone wish to own up to being the DYKWIA whose lounge-wine-fuelled “I’m a Gold Card Holder!” behaviour during boarding of BA2621 at INN last Friday led to them being offloaded, delaying the departure ?
More details, please! It must have been a good one to get offloaded!
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:50 am

Some git was giving out in the Saga lounge at Reykjavik/KEF, which is closing at the advertised time of 5.30, because the 6.30 to LHR is delayed by an hour.

”I’ve paid for business class and not only is the plane late but they’re kicking us out!” Loud enough for half the lounge to hear; the staff appeared unmoved as they continued turning the lights off.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:46 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDork
Some git was giving out in the Saga lounge at Reykjavik/KEF, which is closing at the advertised time of 5.30, because the 6.30 to LHR is delayed by an hour.

”I’ve paid for business class and not only is the plane late but they’re kicking us out!” Loud enough for half the lounge to hear; the staff appeared unmoved as they continued turning the lights off.
I wonder what they thought all the other uncomplaining passengers were doing? Classic DYKWIA behaviour, well spotted and posted.
I used to fly MAN-BOS often enough that I tried all reasonable options which included KEF a few times. I thought the lounge there was rather nice. I remember large genuine fake fires and other quirky bits in what was otherwise an underground dungeon. A lot better than milling around the terminal.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:28 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Laughable DYKWIA next to me

I had a laughable experience earlier on todays BA767 from Oslo where the person in 1A couldn’t tell the crew enough times how many times she flies, couldn’t have the afternoon tea as she has had it so many times and even managed to wave a printed sheet of her flights to show how many flights she takes I chuckled to myself and maybe a little loudly.. Maybe I should tell the bored crew about my next to flights tomorrow and then again Monday.

Poor crew having to listen to her telling them about how Heathrow is so bad etc.. At least they learnt how to make a Buck’s Fizz from her today
higham44, the810, wrp96 and 10 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
That reminds me of someone on a LHR-EDI who couldn’t stop telling the whole CE cabin how she just couldn’t have any more food as she had eaten SO much in the lounge as she had a SILVER card. I think she might have been under the impression that everyone in CE didn’t automatically have lounge access. The 8 Gold card holders across the front 2 rows (probably!) seemed entirely unperturbed by her dilemma!
the810, wrp96, on-a-stick and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Another trip, another lack of classic DYKWIA moment - it's very disappointing. I read this board and turn up fully expecting a "Move aside, Group 1 coming through" or "But I'm a Bronze Card Holder" moment, and it never seems to happen. Shame. I'm heading to NCE next, and hoping that's a route more conducive to such antics. I'll report back.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Anti-DYKWIA moment..

Flying MIA-LHR on BA in F, transiting from CUN. I’ve got GE and my travel companion doesn’t. I get through and into Flagship F dining quickly, waiting for him. Eventually he gets through immigration and comes to the Flagship Lounge with probably 15 minutes to spare in it, as the A380 was leaving from an E gate with a very long walk over.

He messages me saying he’s in the lounge. I ask him why he hasn’t made his way to the flagship F dining, to which he replies ‘the lounge dragon said it’s too late to invite him to flagship F dining so I accepted and just found myself a drink’. I wasnt having any of that, so had a word with the staff and they got him in, but he couldn’t be the slightest bit bothered! I mentioned that he passed the Anti-DYKWIA test well and everyone on here would be proud. 😂

(Still don’t understand why AA staff think it’s their right to decide if someone uses a facility that they are entitled to or not)
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
(Still don’t understand why AA staff think it’s their right to decide if someone uses a facility that they are entitled to or not)
To be fair , if 15 minutes are below their order to serve average time for food, it would have made sense for AA to make the passenger aware but instead of not allowing him in, I would expect them to simply inform the passenger that he/she may only be able to get drinks…
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Foofighter69

As much as I like the mia ffd, I’ve actually had multiple experiences of a grumpy waitress trying to discourage us from ordering on the grounds we wouldn’t have enough time to eat. This was on stays of about 1-2 hrs before needing to leave the lounge! Always ignored her and always had no issue finishing a full meal but that’s actually been a bit annoying. Never had any issue at lounge entrance though.
crazy8534 and Bellerina like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
This thread is certainly entertaining for me as a lowly Silver. However, as I fly on my own dime, I have noticed that recently I have been flying on *A because flying between various EU cities on *A does not necessitate the extra time and expense of flying thru LHR or MAD. But, *A is not all gravy either as LH in business class gives a P booking which gives nada TPs and miles. So I have to be vigilant ...

Just another day of retirement, being entertained by all of these pesky 1st world problems. Thats all the result of developments after the Wright brothers left their bicycle repair business. 😉
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by CT-UK
I had a laughable experience earlier on todays BA767 from Oslo where the person in 1A couldn’t tell the crew enough times how many times she flies, couldn’t have the afternoon tea as she has had it so many times and even managed to wave a printed sheet of her flights to show how many flights she takes
"I am a frequent flyer. I fly EVERY year..."
MaxFlyer, tmac100, PAL62V and 12 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
To LYS this morning. The GAs were asking people to stand aside for Group 1s to board but with 12 full rows of CE on a 320 plus it being a “rugby special”, I’m estimating that at least half of the passengers are Group 1.

No DYKWIA antics for the actual boarding but I half listened into a convo where the GA was trying to check a bag of a travelling companion (daughter maybe) of a GGL who wasn’t on the same booking - he was saying that if they checked her bag, they would hold up both of them at baggage.

The GA was saying that if they’d been on the same booking then it would be OK - meaning that they thought they did have enough space if the bag were taken on board. In the end there is quite a lot of spare overhead space.
BA or bust, becks1 and JapesUK like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.