DYKWIA | 2024 edition

Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGLfL
Standing in line at BUD last week behind two passengers.
PA announcement boarding Groups 1-3, and they stayed still.
I pointed out they had called Groups 1-3 which the two passengers took to be me challenging their right to be in the 1-3 line.
It dawned when the agent called Groups 4-5-6!
A sort of Do They Know Who They Are? (DTKWTA)
BA or bust, catmndu, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wow I seem to be attracting all the DYKWIA's lately. On boarding, I was trying to settle into seat 6A in the "mini" CW cabin on the 777 and as I'm putting my case in to the overhead an elderly lady barks at me "EXCUSE ME, we are trying to get past to get into FIRST CLASS". I said "Would you be so kind to give me 20 seconds to put my bag in the overhead" and she muttered something that I didn't catch. A sorry would have been nice. Then, as she is strolling past into F she says to her husband(?) behind her "It's a real shame they have changed these business class seats because now it's basically the same as first class and it is very confusing".

WOW! Heaven forbid BA should do anything for the benefit of any peasants travelling in a cabin lower than F. Some people truly beggar belief (or is it just me?).
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by oceanscape
WOW! Heaven forbid BA should do anything for the benefit of any peasants travelling in a cabin lower than F. Some people truly beggar belief (or is it just me?).
Sadly no oceanscape… it is not just you. Some people indeed do beggar belief. Perhaps they would be better off back on their private jet… where they do not need to mix with the hoi poloi.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Plat...
First time DYKWIA

Sadly my first DYKWIA moment. I am in Bangaluru airport and we were denied the 080 business entry to lounge as we weren't given some paper invitations at check in. After a bit of faff and explaining that we have Business tickets in CW and also I am a GCH they made a phone call to BA and agreed to let us in. Unsure why their system/ staff aren't set up to let business / allowed customers in?

Moral of the story; for Indian airports ask about lounge access to get your extra paper invitation!!

lounge is lovely BW
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:34 am

Programs: \_(ツ)_/
Originally Posted by Jitesh1
Sadly my first DYKWIA moment. I am in Bangaluru airport and we were denied the 080 business entry to lounge as we weren't given some paper invitations at check in. After a bit of faff and explaining that we have Business tickets in CW and also I am a GCH they made a phone call to BA and agreed to let us in. Unsure why their system/ staff aren't set up to let business / allowed customers in?

Moral of the story; for Indian airports ask about lounge access to get your extra paper invitation!!

lounge is lovely BW
this is useful, thanks
Old Feb 18, 2024, 3:35 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Sadly my first DYKWIA moment
This story would only be a DYKWIA if you properly kicked off at the agents. From the tone of your post, you don't sound like that sort of person
Just calmly trying to work through a Kafka-esque system to get what you have actually paid for is almost the opposite..
BA or bust, the810, wrp96 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by DeathSlam; Feb 19, 2024 at 2:13 am
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
I said "Would you be so kind to give me 20 seconds to put my bag in the overhead".
Oh, how I hate those people who take 20 seconds to put their bag in the overhead locker when people are trying to get past.

Count it: 20 seconds is a very, very long time to be faffing about and blocking the aisle.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Misco60
Oh, how I hate those people who take 20 seconds to put their bag in the overhead locker when people are trying to get past.

Count it: 20 seconds is a very, very long time to be faffing about and blocking the aisle.
Though I have not witnessed it myself, I understand that oceanscape’s standard for stashing bags is around 7 seconds. However this is multiplied by a politeness factor (which can increase or decrease when oceanscape is asked to change speed by another passenger).
My understanding was that on this occasion the factor was increased to maximum.

Last edited by BA or bust; Feb 18, 2024 at 5:00 am
Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

lounge is lovely BW
Its not just Indian airports. I've had this happen to me at KIN and almost at ANU as well. When it happened a KIN, it pretty much played out exactly the same as yours. Ever since then I make sure they give me a lounge invitation before leaving the desk.
tmac100 and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SonicStar817
Its not just Indian airports. I've had this happen to me at KIN and almost at ANU as well. When it happened a KIN, it pretty much played out exactly the same as yours. Ever since then I make sure they give me a lounge invitation before leaving the desk.
Yeah, lots of places that have 3rd party lounges rely on invites. QR at MAN for example - you need the invite to get into the 1903 lounge.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:42 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yeah, lots of places that have 3rd party lounges rely on invites. QR at MAN for example - you need the invite to get into the 1903 lounge.
True, but even CX issues lounge invites these days, for their own lounges which is a bit of a waste of paper. On my one-day trip to SYD two weeks ago, checking in in BKK saw me receiving four boarding passes and four lounge invites printed. Even the staff looked baffled when the printer kept spitting out stuff
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
True, but even CX issues lounge invites these days, for their own lounges which is a bit of a waste of paper. On my one-day trip to SYD two weeks ago, checking in in BKK saw me receiving four boarding passes and four lounge invites printed. Even the staff looked baffled when the printer kept spitting out stuff
The idea with CX printed invites is it avoids boarding pass scanning at CX lounges. Passengers holding a printed invite do not need BP scanning, passenger without have to have their BP scanned.
Markie and adrianlondon like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:04 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by percysmith
The idea with CX printed invites is it avoids boarding pass scanning at CX lounges. Passengers holding a printed invite do not need BP scanning, passenger without have to have their BP scanned.
But they still ask for your BP at The Wing and Pier F, so they can physically stamp it for re-entry, making it a rather moot point.. At BKK they take the invite without question though.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Misco60

And if everyone did it then it would take over an hour to board an A320
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
But they still ask for your BP at The Wing and Pier F, so they can physically stamp it for re-entry, making it a rather moot point.. At BKK they take the invite without question though.
Re-entry stamp is optional - I didnt get stamped last week in Pier F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.