DYKWIA | 2024 edition

Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
not quite sure why folks are trying to defend this. the CCR is only available to F and GGL, and not to the protagonist in the story who clearly tried to make out he was entitled. neither is the CCR a corridor to the GF.

any story which includes "but i am a gold card holder" is pretty much the definition of a DYKWIA story.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Minor DYKWIA yesterday at SFO lounge. A couple tried to enter the F Dining at the lounge, but given there was no F on the later evening flight, they were denied. The man insisted that he should have access (I think I heard something about Gold) and told the lady to call her supervisor. She called up to the office and they confirmed no access. They were not happy with the regular lounge offerings.
becks1 and LancashireFlyer like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I have deleted 20 posts just now which were off-topic ranging from discussions of Stansted, shopping and the closure of the First Wing. People, this thread isn't about any of those things.

golfmad
Moderator: BAEC Forum
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Minor one my end yesterday at JFK. The classic "Do you realise this is the queue for group 1?" - Now by no means was I dressed like a scruff bag but what a nice start to my evening. My response was simply "Correct".
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:40 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by 1WFlyer
Minor one my end yesterday at JFK. The classic "Do you realise this is the queue for group 1?" - Now by no means was I dressed like a scruff bag but what a nice start to my evening. My response was simply "Correct".
Nice response! I never cease to be amazed about how judgmental humans can be, just based on what another person is wearing or looks like. The world would be a better place if everybody just chilled out a bit more.
the810, wrp96, AmaaiZeg and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Ditto, and those who discriminate on looks might also be surprised...

When I travel in Y I tend to wear a semi decent looking shirt or something so I don't get treated like garbage when I ask for a drink. In J it's usually a comfortable hoodie because service will be just the same 😎
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Or thank you for confirming, as I wasnt 100% sure I was in the right place.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Fun and games at the gate today for DXB.

Gate staff call for pre-boards, at which point lots of families head through the gate area - as do those in wheelchairs.

A few families with older children (teenagers) also bound forwards, and the gate agent doesnt put up a fight and lets them through the doors.

A smartly dressed chap then approaches, says he's Group 1, and the lady tells him she isnt boarding Group 1 yet. He kicks off, demands to be let through to board, and she waves him through.

After a rather lengthy time, the lady does call Group 1, so we go through the doors. We walk down the ramp, and as we turn the corner, all the pre-boards are stood there waiting to board - alongside Smarty McSmart.

M
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:35 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Fun and games at the gate today for DXB.

Gate staff call for pre-boards, at which point lots of families head through the gate area - as do those in wheelchairs.

A few families with older children (teenagers) also bound forwards, and the gate agent doesnt put up a fight and lets them through the doors.

A smartly dressed chap then approaches, says he's Group 1, and the lady tells him she isnt boarding Group 1 yet. He kicks off, demands to be let through to board, and she waves him through.

After a rather lengthy time, the lady does call Group 1, so we go through the doors. We walk down the ramp, and as we turn the corner, all the pre-boards are stood there waiting to board - alongside Smarty McSmart.

M
I flew to DXB last week and the gate agent was extremely strict and when we went forward for pre boarding (my 4 year old was with us) then said this is group 1 only. Maybe a mini self dykwia when I said, thank you, we are group 1.

Ended up a faff at the gate as they had moved my son to 5a from the seat beside my wife and he got the beep but after about 5 mins we were all seated back together.
the810 and jaro like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:47 pm

Actually a better response would be to dress up like a scruff bag (like I normally do when flying) - and answer, Yes. Do you?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Some folks on another message board many years ago introduced me to the lovely phrase Im sorry but that wont work for me in a discussion of how you dont really owe a stranger an explanation of why you havent decided to do them a favor.
I like that expression. I shall use it if needs be.
crazy8534, becks1, zymm and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
As a newly minted GGL I like the swift entrance into the CCR from the temporary FW lane. None of that unnecessary walking through the heaving masses of the Flounge (oh how quickly I forget the many hours I have spent there).

Although I did have a mini moment when I first used it last month as the lovely dragon seemed to think that a boarding pass wasn't the right thing to present to gain entrance and I felt a bit of idiot asking, "Do you need to see my GGL card?". They then said "oh I'll give the BP a go and see if it works". All very peculiar. Not sure if many people passing behind me were smirking.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, SQ PPS, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Getting them to actually scan the BP can be surprisingly difficult but often it's the easiest way.
Sometimes it just gives a big green tick, other times a cross, but they should be able to see GGL status either way as it prompts them about the Family rule for GGL.
My most recent paper boarding pass had printed, in the line below my name:

GGLFL Concorde Room

This should help the door monitor sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Doc Copper
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
My most recent paper boarding pass had printed, in the line below my name:

GGLFL Concorde Room

This should help the door monitor sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Doc Copper
They actually knew who you were!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I like that expression. I shall use it if needs be.
Yes, great line. But I would omit the "I'm sorry" bit. You don't owe the other person an apology for not doing them a favor that you're not required to.
wrp96, crazy8534, acucobol and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.