DYKWIA | 2024 edition

Old Jan 28, 2024, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc
Originally Posted by GodAtum
On another note, they took my food choice 1st even though I'm only Blue. I asked and they said on the pax manifest I'm marked as a VIP so they will serve me first!
I believe the pretty penny they charge for the service also include the links with the airlines extending the experience, as I believe you can only book it if you are flying in Business or First.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Apparently the language of the handkerchief, dropping the handkerchief in front of someone was a way to gain their attention, drawing it across the cheek meant "I love you", drawing it through the hands meant "I hate you". I have no idea whether this also applies to tissues
Wondering what the language of the handkerchief is for 'hanky panky'? Lol
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:45 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Self-report time, or ratting out my brother rather.

He is based out of SOF/OTP/VAR, and started flying a fair deal for work in 2018 around Europe, and especially Russia, going as far as PKC (Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky Airport). I got him an additional card under my Canadian AmEx Platinum account, in order to take advantage of the generous lounge access benefit. The CAD200 (or whatever it was) annual fee was well worth it, if only to enjoy the food/drink photos he would send me from various airport lounges. He was just tickled pink! Those of you who grew up poor, or even upperish-middle-class in a 2nd/3rd world country would understand.

Then Covid happened, and then Russia happened, so I cancelled his card.

He started flying more again last year, and I reinstated it. Also, after decades of trying in vain, his wife finally got him to take more than a couple of days off in a row. They just came back from a 10-day cruise around the Middle East, and are flying to KUL, and then AKL this Saturday. They'll even get to experience a Centurion lounge on the way back in HKG.

When the cruise ended, he and the missus flew back from DOH to SOF on QR. She had to powder her nose upon arrival at the airport, so naturally he waited for her before proceeding to security together. The rest of their tour group went ahead and lined up. By the time she finished her business, the line at security had become ridiculous, with their travel mates having made hardly any progress.

It may be partly my fault because I had told him there were other Platinum perks, such as mid-tier status at various hotel and car rental companies, as well as priority security at YYZ. I know he didn't remember any of it; all he really used his Platinum membership for is Priority Pass. But there had remained some nebulous notion in his head, so he whipped out his phone, showed the Priority Pass QR code to the lady at the priority security lane at DOH, and completely innocently but matter-of-factly asked if he and his wife were in the correct lane. The answer, apparently, was "yes, Sir, this way please". So there they went, walking right past their travel companions, straight up to the front of the line, and directly into the Al Maha Lounge.

Now, that alone would be a proper DYKWIA display, but there's more. My brother had earned, fair and square (though employee and friends & family pricing helped) Diamond with Hilton, which he'll lose in April. Being a flyertalker, I just had to check on his cruise line, and lo and behold, they had a generous status match scheme. I filled out the online form for him, and there he was a newly minted MSC Diamond Member, right in time for sailing. Not a big deal: a few special events on board, a $10 bottle of Italian bubbly waiting for them in the cabin, and some biscuits or chocolates and other small goodies, but word had spread among their tour group.

6.50 Clubcard Price at Tesco until 14/02/2024

That, and the subsequent experience at DOH security must have had some asking themselves "Do You Know Who They Are?"

Last edited by bambinomartino; Feb 7, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sounds all perfectly reasonable to me ... great filial support program in place!
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:50 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by T8191
Sounds all perfectly reasonable to me ... great filial support program in place!
The filial support went into overdrive for the planning of their upcoming Asia/NZ trip. I moved to North America over 30 years ago, but we still -- or perhaps because of that -- have a great relationship.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by bambinomartino; Feb 8, 2024 at 10:56 am
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:58 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Great example today at AMS. Whilst being a status holder or flying in CE gives a pax priority security, it does not give priority when queuing for exit Passport Control. A couple come out of the security priority and simply removed the tensa barrier straight in front of them which is pretty much at the front of the Passport queues for Departures 3. Fortunately, this is spotted by one of the airport workers whose job it is to try and make the lines run smoothly and he shouts at them to join the main queue.

"But, we are flying business class", the bloke in the couple shouted back, "we have the priority". Airport worker fella shouted back, "I'm sorry, that does not apply to Passport checks, you will have to join the main line", and pointed to where the main queue started, far in the distance. "No, we have priority" he insisted and stayed put. Airport worker was having none of this and he left his position about 10 metres away, headed over to them both and re-opened the tensa barrier and gestured them out. "Do not move the barrier for your convenience", he abruptly said to them, followed by, "there is NO priority in these queues, you will have to join up there", again pointing.

A walk of shame resulted, thoroughly enjoyed by many onlookers
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Mini DYKWIA flash story from 8th Feb

Was waiting in zone 1 queue, just behind another man at BCN. (They had already started zone 3 boarding). Some gentleman simply said excuse me and pushed himself in front of both us. I looked at the other guy in the queue and we silently rolled our eyes and laughed it off.

On board, the mini-dykwia was sitting accross me in row 1, so I tried to make eye contact so that I could greet him with a big smile, but he kept his eyes stuck in his phone 😟
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
so I tried to make eye contact so that I could greet him with a big smile, but he kept his eyes stuck in his phone 😟
Or you sure you didnt want to give him the dont do that again look as well practised by my mum?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
Or you sure you didn’t want to give him the ‘don’t do that again’ look as well practised by my mum?
Only women can give "that look"......I am surprised my nan wasn't called "Medusa"
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Only women can give "that look"......I am surprised my nan wasn't called "Medusa"
good cop, bad cop scenario
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Self reporting DYKWIA here (unwittingly).

Arrived San Francisco Airport 20 minutes before the desks opened for check-in. Opted to sit on a bench rather than stand in line like several others opted to do.

Did notice that the First/BAEC Gold/OWE line was closed, and the Club World/BAEC Silver line had half a dozen people waiting.

That bemused me, but there really was no rush as we were over 3 hours early for the flight.

Just as we decided to get up and join the CW queue as the desks were imminently opening, an agent walked past us and headed for the First/BAEC Gold/OWE line, opened the tensa barrier, and went to sit at a desk.

We naturally walked down that line as we were eligible, and as a result was first in line. She then beckoned us over to commence the check in. That meant we were through security and first in the BA lounge. I never clocked them, but there was apparently an elderly couple in the CW queue who were giving us daggers 😂.

​​​​
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Lovely one this morning. Whilst exiting the temporary first wing security there was a bit of a commotion at the Concorde Room door. A man was asking to go through to the lounge and the staff member said (probably unhelpfully, to be fair) sorry sir, this is for the first class lounge only.

The man said yes, Im gold - please let me through. She then clarified no, this is the Concorde Room for first class passengers, not the lounge for Gold members. He then starts getting a little heated yes, I am gold and have access to the first class lounge. No sir, you need to proceed down the escalators and do a u-turn and then head up the escalators at the other end of the terminal to enter your lounge.

this is absolutely ridiculous. Why are you being so difficult? Im telling you now that customer services will be hearing from me about this
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Lovely one this morning. Whilst exiting the temporary first wing security there was a bit of a commotion at the Concorde Room door. A man was asking to go through to the lounge and the staff member said (probably unhelpfully, to be fair) sorry sir, this is for the first class lounge only.

The man said yes, Im gold - please let me through. She then clarified no, this is the Concorde Room for first class passengers, not the lounge for Gold members. He then starts getting a little heated yes, I am gold and have access to the first class lounge. No sir, you need to proceed down the escalators and do a u-turn and then head up the escalators at the other end of the terminal to enter your lounge.

this is absolutely ridiculous. Why are you being so difficult? Im telling you now that customer services will be hearing from me about this
Whilst the man overreacted, he has an entirely valid point. Part of the whole point of the First Wing is that it gives direct access to the Flounge without needing to traipse through the shopping centre that is T5. That benefit has been rendered null and void through the current arrangements and it would have been reasonable for BA to make some sort of adjustment for this in my eyes. Or at a minimum, the dragon could have been a little more gracious about it.
scoonee, the810 and oceanscape like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by oceanscape

The dragons comment was clearly unhelpful to anyone that doesnt know the nuances of the flounge v ccr but had the chap responded Im a gold member so why can I not come in? He would have received an education rather than a ride on a high horse.
BA or bust and tmac100 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by JapesUK
The dragons comment was clearly unhelpful to anyone that doesnt know the nuances of the flounge v ccr but had the chap responded Im a gold member so why can I not come in? He would have received an education rather than a ride on a high horse.
It depends how the question is asked, and how quickly the GCH jumps on that high horse of their own. Sometimes once you've said "no", however politely, people go into cognitive dissonance and you've completely lost them, especially in a stressful environment like an airport around security.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.