DYKWIA | 2024 edition

Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Whilst we're talking about moving luggage I have a self DYKWIA to report from a few months back.

Was on a KL flight and when I boarded the baggage racks in EBC were completely full despite only being one gentleman in the whole cabin. I randomly moved one bag from the bin immediately above my seat to a bin further back in Y, but with my bad luck (and to be honest it was inconsiderate of me in the first place) looks like that was the gentleman's bag. (Or maybe they were all his...)

Follwing my example of not asking before acting (in which case I would gladly have put it back), the gentleman stood up and without a word, removed my bag and put it in in the Y cabin, then regrabbed his bag and put it back where it originally was, all whilst staring at me. Then only after this was all done, with a face flushed red with anger he said "Don't touch my things". I told him sheepishly that I was very sorry, but there was probably no salvaging our chance of ever becoming friends.
This is the first time I have seen a DYKWIA post told from the perspective of the DYKWIA passenger.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:00 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Self DYKWIA to report. I flew on BA and used the Heathrow VIP service. The crew kept addressing me as "Your Excellency" for some reason!

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 7, 2024 at 1:05 am Reason: Adjust text colour for dark mode reading
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Priority Club Platinum, SPG, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Self DYKWIA to report. I flew on BA and used the Heathrow VIP service. The crew kept addressing me as "Your Excellency" for some reason!
Well they knew who you were even if you didn't!
the810 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:05 am

Programs: AC*SE • LH*SEN • BA*G • AA*EXP • MB*A • WOH*G • HH*G
Another self DYKWIA / DEKWIA (Does Everyone Not Know Who I Am?) report:

UA Elite here, on my EWR-YYZ segment I found myself on a revenue Y ticket. Just as boarding was about to start, I noticed that there are 10+ other pax behind me in the upgrade list (which is a lot for a E75, but since I was #2 on the list and there were only two seats left, I thought my chances were good.) ... but then all of the sudden my name disappeared from the upgrade list whilst #3 found himself in my place. Of course I won't let this happen so I approached the gate and explained the situation and the stereotypical UA lady was like "sigh, one moment OKAY" in the worst tone you can ever imagine. I wasn't anything but polite to her, but I may have caught her on her worst shift, it seems.

I didn't cause a scene and I got my upgrade at the last minute after I imposed a YBYL situation on myself, however I wanted to return her gesture of kindness so I report her to corporate and got 5,000 loyalty miles. Lol.

Finally, there were SO MANY Group 3/4/5 pax taking up MY space when they're not supposed to... Ugh. Sometimes I miss those slightly annoying GAs who keep checking your for your boarding pass whilst waiting in line.
BOH and Smid like this.

Last edited by Jason77W; Jan 25, 2024 at 3:11 am
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
It probably highly amused the President of a medium-sized country sat across the aisle from you!
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
That's not DYKWIA, that's IDKWIA (I don't know who I am). Happens to me sometimes when there's too good drink offer in a lounge.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
On another note, they took my food choice 1st even though I'm only Blue. I asked and they said on the pax manifest I'm marked as a VIP so they will serve me first!
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
On another note, they took my food choice 1st even though I'm only Blue. I asked and they said on the pax manifest I'm marked as a VIP so they will serve me first!
Egyptian crew recognising Atum, primordial god of ancient times?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:05 pm

I am not sure what to call this, so over a week ago I was sat in the North Lounge enjoying the view while checking some emails on my laptop. A lady in her 50's walks by and standsr by my table with a glass in her hand and a carry on bag in the other. The carry on seems to have a lot of tags from BA, AA and a few others, I am about to say sorry im expecting company and she turns to put the glass on my table and turn to walk away throwing the tissue in her hand on the side.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by suley
I am not sure what to call this, so over a week ago I was sat in the North Lounge enjoying the view while checking some emails on my laptop. A lady in her 50's walks by and standsr by my table with a glass in her hand and a carry on bag in the other. The carry on seems to have a lot of tags from BA, AA and a few others, I am about to say sorry im expecting company and she turns to put the glass on my table and turn to walk away throwing the tissue in her hand on the side.
Sounds like she was flirting..............
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by suley
Your ex wife or girlfriend?
BA or bust and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Silver, IHG Platinum, Senior Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Sounds like she was flirting..............
Apparently the language of the handkerchief, dropping the handkerchief in front of someone was a way to gain their attention, drawing it across the cheek meant "I love you", drawing it through the hands meant "I hate you". I have no idea whether this also applies to tissues
the810 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Apparently the language of the handkerchief, dropping the handkerchief in front of someone was a way to gain their attention, drawing it across the cheek meant "I love you", drawing it through the hands meant "I hate you". I have no idea whether this also applies to tissues
Are we talking about the hanky code.? If so, thats a whole different kettle of fish. As you were.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Silver, IHG Platinum, Senior Bus Pass
Originally Posted by nick585
Are we talking about the hanky code.? If so, thats a whole different kettle of fish. As you were.
Ive just googled hanky code 😳.

I was actually referring to something you might find in a Jane Austen novel.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Ive just googled hanky code 😳.

I was actually referring to something you might find in a Jane Austen novel.
every day is a school day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.