DYKWIA | 2024 edition

Old Jun 20, 2024, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape
I don't know if I'm "allowed" to share this one on the BA forum but I was in the LHR T3 Cathay Pacific F Lounge dining room last week. An English gentleman (c. mid 60s) was next to me with his Asian companion (I assume wife/girlfriend from their conversations) (c. mid 40s). It literally beggared belief how rude and entitled he was.

The dining room was full and the poor staff (only 2 of them) were literally darting between tables taking orders and delivering dishes. His wife/girlfriend got her food and he chimes up "Oh so you couldn't even bothered to wait to serve us at the same time. What kind of service is this?". The server had a bit of a "..." moment and then realised he was just being a twat and reassured him his food would be out very shortly.

Maybe 5 mins passed and I kid you not he SHOUTED to the server from one end of the restaurant to the other "WHERE IS MY FOOD, I ORDERED HOURS AGO". Literally like a child. The poor serving team were running around and going back of house to figure out where his food was and eventually brought it out to him. I'm not sure why she did this (a bit late at this stage ...) but the server - after putting his plate down - said to him "Sir, do you have any allergies?". He responds "WHAT?". She repeats. He responds "SPEAK BLOODY ENGLISH, WOMAN" (side note: the server was Asian but, funnily enough, so was his companion. The server was speaking perfectly clearly). He then got it third time and said "NO I DON'T HAVE BLOODY ALLERGIES NOW BUGGER OFF AND LET US EAT, YOUR SERVICE FOR FIRST CLASS PASSENGERS IS ATROCIOUS, I AM *SICK* OF IT". His wife/girlfriend was quite literally dying in embarrassment because the entire restaurant was in silence and staring and wondering what the heck his problem was.

This man had no ability to speak quietly / softly, the entire dining room heard every word he said which was at max volume. I was working on my laptop whilst eating and the conversations he was having with his companion when he eventually got his food where really quite awful (basically slagging off the wait staff some more and saying they were probably illegal immigrants ?!?!). I really wanted to speak up and in hindsight absolutely should have. What a nasty piece of work. I said a little prayer for the cabin crew that would be dealing with him
He wasnt wearing red trousers by any chance?
Old Jun 20, 2024, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by B7474U3
He wasnt wearing red trousers by any chance?
I can't imagine Michael Portillo ever carrying on like that!
BorisBrownBear likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would love to see the lounge manager call the gate and let them know just what they may be dealing with. Karma would see the twt denied boarding.
higham44 and DelTroon like this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
Originally Posted by 13901
Classic "British expat in Asia" behaviour...
FILTH . Say no more
tmac100 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingCruiser
I can't imagine Michael Portillo ever carrying on like that!
I absolutely can see him doing that, and a later career presenting TV programmes about trains really hasn't changed that....

Last edited by aks120; Jul 4, 2024 at 10:13 pm Reason: Removed political chat which is off topic
Old Jul 4, 2024, 5:05 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Had a mini moment on a BA flight last week that I thought I might mention as a DYKWIA moment. A very minor moment but it did make me smirk somewhat.

Boarding BA206 in MIA, and I was in WTP, on the A380, sitting in the bulkhead in 61A. With 2 side windows bins. Arrived at my seat, and put my small wheelie in the overhead, and moved my blanket and cushion from the seat into one window bin to use later, and my briefcase into the forward bin. Settled in and read my book whilst boarding continued.

A few moments later, a lady arrived and was to be seated in 61B. She popped her wheelie in the overhead, and then proceeded to decant the contents of her large Louis Vuitton hand bag onto the seat, including laptop, iPad, Bose headphones, a couple of iPhones, a neck cushion, water bottle etc.

She then said - excuse me, I need to put my things in the side bin. I said - oh I already have my things in the side bin, but Im happy to share the space. Im sure I can find room for your laptop. She then announced very loudly, I am entitled to use that space, I always get this bulkhead seat, and I am an American Airlines Executive Platinum. So if you dont mind moving your bag, so I can use that side bin, Id appreciate you doing that now!

I was slightly taken aback, and thought to myself - ok, this it is actually a published benefit of a window seat in all cabins on the upper deck on a BA A380, that the window seat gets the benefit of the side bin. I checked later - its on the BA website. However, aware I have to share this space with the lady for the next 7.5 hrs, and always willing to compromise when its possible, I offered to remove my blanket and pillow, and stuff down the side of the seat, move my briefcase to the rear bin, and let her have the forward one.

So I moved them, and once I sat back and let her have the forward bin, she said - thats better. And put all her stuff in the forward bin. No form of thanks offered.

We didnt interact again, and ultimately no one really lost out or was affected, but the attitude at the beginning did make me think - Oh it could be one for the DYKWIA thread when I get round to it..

I know BA states it is a window seat benefit, and I am always willing to compromise to make everyones life a bit easier, but it was the attitude of the demand that rubbed me slightly the wrong way, and could have been done in a much nicer way.
Fritz, PeS, T8191 and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 5:09 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
Had a mini moment on a BA flight last week that I thought I might mention as a DYKWIA moment. A very minor moment but it did make me smirk somewhat.

Boarding BA206 in MIA, and I was in WTP, on the A380, sitting in the bulkhead in 61A. With 2 side windows bins. Arrived at my seat, and put my small wheelie in the overhead, and moved my blanket and cushion from the seat into one window bin to use later, and my briefcase into the forward bin. Settled in and read my book whilst boarding continued.

A few moments later, a lady arrived and was to be seated in 61B. She popped her wheelie in the overhead, and then proceeded to decant the contents of her large Louis Vuitton hand bag onto the seat, including laptop, iPad, Bose headphones, a couple of iPhones, a neck cushion, water bottle etc.

She then said - excuse me, I need to put my things in the side bin. I said - oh I already have my things in the side bin, but Im happy to share the space. Im sure I can find room for your laptop. She then announced very loudly, I am entitled to use that space, I always get this bulkhead seat, and I am an American Airlines Executive Platinum. So if you dont mind moving your bag, so I can use that side bin, Id appreciate you doing that now!

I was slightly taken aback, and thought to myself - ok, this it is actually a published benefit of a window seat in all cabins on the upper deck on a BA A380, that the window seat gets the benefit of the side bin. I checked later - its on the BA website. However, aware I have to share this space with the lady for the next 7.5 hrs, and always willing to compromise when its possible, I offered to remove my blanket and pillow, and stuff down the side of the seat, move my briefcase to the rear bin, and let her have the forward one.

So I moved them, and once I sat back and let her have the forward bin, she said - thats better. And put all her stuff in the forward bin. No form of thanks offered.

We didnt interact again, and ultimately no one really lost out or was affected, but the attitude at the beginning did make me think - Oh it could be one for the DYKWIA thread when I get round to it..

I know BA states it is a window seat benefit, and I am always willing to compromise to make everyones life a bit easier, but it was the attitude of the demand that rubbed me slightly the wrong way, and could have been done in a much nicer way.
next time, say no....carry on reading
Old Jul 4, 2024, 7:47 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
How rude of her, and why would she let a stranger have free access to her private things, all due respect to Jet Ranger. Maybe you should have made use of the headphones and neck cushion...
wrp96, Keystone, DXB2745 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
next time, say no....carry on reading
Next time ask her: "what is the magic word!?"
Old Jul 5, 2024, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I just don't get it - in that situation, surely her best chance is to be nice and just ask "would you mind if I put some of my things in there..." - most other passengers wouldn't even know the side bins are a "published benefit" of the window seats (I didn't!) - a smile and some manners would have worked just fine for 99% of people

the immediate resort to "I'm entitled" and "I'm X status" is classic DYKWIA - what a charmless moron
Old Jul 5, 2024, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I am an American Airlines Executive Platinum.
Me: 'you'll be used to being disappointed then....'
Old Jul 5, 2024, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
. She then said - excuse me, I need to put my things in the side bin. I said - oh I already have my things in the side bin, but Im happy to share the space. Im sure I can find room for your laptop. She then announced very loudly, I am entitled to use that space, I always get this bulkhead seat, and I am an American Airlines Executive Platinum. So if you dont mind moving your bag, so I can use that side bin, Id appreciate you doing that now!
How rude! I think I might have been inclined to reply "There is no need to do anything and yes I agree you are very entitled! I'd appreciate some civility and you politely asking if I might consider allowing you to access the window bin"

My take on this is if you want the window bin reserve the window seat. Might've been funny if you'd kept the forward bin and offered her the bin closest to you. Did she access the bin during the flight? Otherwise what's wrong with keeping her stuff in the overhead locker?

Still, well done to you for being so accommodating.
Rudyroo likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
In your position I would have responded right back (based on your profile) "and so am I, and I'm a BA Gold too"!
tmac100, DiamondMile and Thax1 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic

I am not so sure that access to the side bins is a published benefit for window seats in the A380 upper deck- have checked the website- but happy to stand corrected if I have got that one wrong.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:41 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BarelyBAGold
I am not so sure that access to the side bins is a published benefit for window seats in the A380 upper deck- have checked the website- but happy to stand corrected if I have got that one wrong.
Attached a screenshot of the blurb from BA Media Centre on the A380 features for each cabin.. it is fairly unambiguous in the wording I think.
Unless anyone knows any different?

BravoKilo, orbitmic and oceanscape like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.