DYKWIA | 2024 edition

Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Would be a bit odd not to engage at all surely - a polite "I think this is my seat". I've once accidentally sat in the wrong seat (out by 1 row) and similarly have had people accidentally in mine. All sorted out in good natured fashion like grown ups. Pre-emptive involvement of crew seems a bit like running to teacher.
Having experienced this too many times to count, I am in the engage the crew camp. Once we had someone in our 2AB on the clamped out 772 from BKK, who had opened blankets, amenity kits etc - I turned straight around and asked the crew I think someone is lost, with a smile. They turfed them back to row god-knows-what, and somehow found us replacement blankets etc. Crew was stellar throughout btw
Markie, HIDDY, tmac100 and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Some folks on another message board many years ago introduced me to the lovely phrase “I’m sorry but that won’t work for me” in a discussion of how you don’t really owe a stranger an explanation of why you haven’t decided to do them a favor.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:34 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Would be a bit odd not to engage at all surely - a polite "I think this is my seat". I've once accidentally sat in the wrong seat (out by 1 row) and similarly have had people accidentally in mine. All sorted out in good natured fashion like grown ups. Pre-emptive involvement of crew seems a bit like running to teacher.
This is perfectly true if you are in 37D instead of 36D where there is no advantage to taking one seat or another, but it's often not true for someone sat in your 1A, extra legroom or otherwise advantageous seat that someone would have had to pay to get otherwise. Down the back of the bus I would agree with you, but as we have seen DYKWIAs are much more prevalent at the front and I suspect I might take a look and if they had too many designer labels on their clothing and luggage, might just ask the crew before engaging.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: Some
If it were not row 1 we are talking about I would agree. However, Ive tried this approach before and got nowhere. This is not someone sitting in row 32 rather than 33, its very difficult to accidentally believe your boarding pass for 3C or whatever is the front row, these people are almost inevitably sociopaths who are used to getting their own way rather than lost little old ladies.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Some folks on another message board many years ago introduced me to the lovely phrase Im sorry but that wont work for me in a discussion of how you dont really owe a stranger an explanation of why you havent decided to do them a favor.
I am 100% borrowing this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by abligh
"well, this is the better seat, so why don't you ask whoever is in 2A behind you to swap with you - I'm sure they'd be glad of the slightly better seat and you can sit next to your partner"
Unless that someone was me, since I absolutely hate bulkhead seats, and always book 2A or 2F for this reason
BA or bust, MaxFlyer, JTXC and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by the810
Unless that someone was me, since I absolutely hate bulkhead seats, and always book 2A or 2F for this reason
Past December, LAS-LAX on AA (~1h flight). I always book a seat in the 1st row (if available) because I find it the most convenient for my needs, and so I was in 1A.
As soon as I reach my seat, 1C asks me to swap with the wife in 2A so they can fly together, but I politely decline saying that I needed row 1. So, when 2C boards, 1C asks him if he want to swap, but he declines as well because he doesn't like the bulkhead... I felt a tiny bit sorry for the couple, but not too much since the flight was a very short one.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Some folks on another message board many years ago introduced me to the lovely phrase Im sorry but that wont work for me in a discussion of how you dont really owe a stranger an explanation of why you havent decided to do them a favor.
Straight from a book by a former FBI negotiator called never split the difference - not my worst lockdown read.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just flew HAM-LHR and a chap walked up to the boarding tensa barriers before boarding had been called and the agent barked "we're not boarding yet, you can sit down." or words to that effect. And the guy said "do you want me to fly lufthansa?!" which confused the agent because she thought he meant he was looking for a LH flight. After clarifying he then said "I'm a gold card holder in Club Europe", and she let him stand there.

Not massively DYKWIA but it made me smile.

A side note that FT royalty was also on this flight but not the above person.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Schwann
....A side note that FT royalty was also on this flight but not the above person.
From what I've read c-w-s would never appear at the gate that early!

(And of course would never behave in such a manner anyway)
BA or bust, wrp96, Schwann and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:52 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Was on a short flight yesterday, seated in 1A and 1C with my SO. SO's friend was also on the same flight, seated in exit row. Once we were in the air I asked the flight attendant if I could swap seats with SO's friend. I get to read in peace in the exit row, SO and her friend get some girl time up front, it's a win-win. Flight attendant said "sure, no problem". As I was getting up from my seat, DIKWYA sitting in 2C complained that she didn't want a "coach person" coming into the first cabin, and asserted that it's "against the law" for a passeger to sit in someone else's seat. Of course, I ignored her entirely and suppressed the urge to remind her that she's breathing recirculated "coach person" farts. When we deplaned my SO and her friend waited at the gate and addressed me as "coach person". "Coach person" is definitely going to stick for a while.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
oh i will borrow THAT one from now on: "to remind her that she's breathing recirculated "coach person" farts"
PAL62V, Oxnardjan and wcel like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
YYC - LHR a few days ago. We are ~75% coach persons, as Mrs. Bambino is a frugal and sensible soul who generally manages to keep me in check.

She and the kiddos are seated ABC on this WestJet 789, I am in D a couple of rows behind them, picking -- and paying for -- a seat in a row towards the back of the plane where the middle seat was vacant well into the check-in process. It was a very full flight, and sadly my bet didn't appear to pay off. The seat next to mine became occupied about an hour before takeoff per Expert Flyer.

As I am chatting with the very nice British chap one seat over, we hear someone's very loud and assertive: "I am NOT sitting in a middle seat!". That's followed by the FA calmly explaining that people have the option of paying for the seat of their choice, it's a full flight, etc., etc. The "lady" just wouldn't take no for an answer. They ended up putting her in an aisle seat in the very last row (which showed blocked of EF) right next to the toilet.

With boarding completed, it dawned on me and my British neighbour that the person in question was meant to be sitting between us. She had a rather large derriere (and equally voluminous hair), so we were quite relieved. It may not be common knowledge amongst you 1A jetsetters, but the 9-abreast config on the 787s is suboptimal.

I am torn. On the one hand, I was upset that this entitled twit got her way, but on the other, I was one of a handful of people in economy with no one sitting next to me on a 9-hour flight.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:12 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
an aisle seat in the very last row (which showed blocked of EF) right next to the toilet.
I think they are blocked off for the crew aren't they?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
They ended up putting her in an aisle seat in the very last row (which showed blocked of EF) right next to the toilet.
Wouldn't it be open for DYKWIA to swap to aisle seat after boarding completed?
jiffer21225 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.