Malé Maldives Pricing Patterns

Old Apr 12, 2024, 3:54 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
I'm on my second day in the Maldives. The weather remains consistently hot and humid. The diving staff mentioned a delayed onset of the monsoon due to the late start to the dry season. Last night, heavy rain poured for about two hours, but by morning, it seemed as though it had never happened. With five more days to spend here, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for clear skies during the day, or at least minimal rain interruptions.
Welcome to the tropics! It rains in the Maldives any time, any year. Going in January/February minimises the chance of rain and going in October probably maximises it but really it's all a bit random and climate change is making the weather patterns less predictable, too.

BA F pricing to the Maldives is indeed utterly ludicrous a lot of the time, you need to understand that only direct flight x wealthy travellers x high likelihood of honeymoon basically means BA can just set a random price, same as F to e.g. LAX.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:07 am

We tend to go June to September. We’ve had certain activities cancelled due to rain in the September trips but we’ve had June trips where we’ve had 10 minutes of rain in the whole day 10 day trip. The hotel savings are worth the slightly less predictable weather in our opinion.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:16 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
I go to Male' for work about once a month since 2018 (except Covid) and I did notice the seasons shifting a little bit. We deal quite a bit with resorts over there and although the usual high-season / low-season still applies applies as a general rule it can be hit and miss. There's been days of rain in high season last year and beautiful weeks in the low season. I always feel bad for once-in-a-lifetime visitors who get rained out...
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 12:19 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by AAtticus
I go to Male' for work about once a month since 2018 (except Covid) and I did notice the seasons shifting a little bit. We deal quite a bit with resorts over there and although the usual high-season / low-season still applies applies as a general rule it can be hit and miss. There's been days of rain in high season last year and beautiful weeks in the low season. I always feel bad for once-in-a-lifetime visitors who get rained out...
I went in the rainy season and it rained every day. Since it is always 80 degrees this was just like having a nice shower. Paid less than 40% of high season prices, so I would only feel bad for those who might have been scammed into paying rack rates for out of season visits, otherwise it's a bargain I would encourage people to check out.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 1:29 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Welcome to the tropics! It rains in the Maldives any time, any year. Going in January/February minimises the chance of rain and going in October probably maximises it but really it's all a bit random and climate change is making the weather patterns less predictable, too.

BA F pricing to the Maldives is indeed utterly ludicrous a lot of the time, you need to understand that only direct flight x wealthy travellers x high likelihood of honeymoon basically means BA can just set a random price, same as F to e.g. LAX.
Yeah, you are right. Today (Saturday) I was booked for a snorkelling excursion from 10AM - 12PM. Skies looked ponderous to me before we were scheduled to depart and so I postponed the excursion. A good thing too as thunder, lightening, rain and choppy seas rolled in around 10:45 till about 12:15.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I went in the rainy season and it rained every day. Since it is always 80 degrees this was just like having a nice shower. Paid less than 40% of high season prices, so I would only feel bad for those who might have been scammed into paying rack rates for out of season visits, otherwise it's a bargain I would encourage people to check out.
I don't care how much the discount is, I am not paying one cent to be stuck in doors daily, while it's storming outside. That's a waste. I had might as well be at home. If I were to travel during the normal period of the dry season and there happens to be an unexpected shower - then fine. But I'm not leaving home to go visit a destination where the expectation will be rain but hope for a dry spell.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 3:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't care how much the discount is, I am not paying one cent to be stuck in doors daily, while it's storming outside. That's a waste. I had might as well be at home. If I were to travel during the normal period of the dry season and there happens to be an unexpected shower - then fine. But I'm not leaving home to go visit a destination where the expectation will be rain but hope for a dry spell.
In the Tropics it's kind of built into the system that there will be 1 to 3 hours of rain per day, which will be fully disruptive at the time, but very quickly clears up and life resumes. Monsoons are a separate factor. It's perfectly true that your day would be less likely to be disrupted if you booked Bognor Regis instead.
Eskimoboy and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:19 am

Yeah, you are right. Today (Saturday) I was booked for a snorkelling excursion from 10AM - 12PM. Skies looked ponderous to me before we were scheduled to depart and so I postponed the excursion. A good thing too as thunder, lightening, rain and choppy seas rolled in around 10:45 till about 12:15.
I loved snorkelling during storms - the rain on the surface (and the utter calm beneath) never stopped being fun.

Appreciate that a boat trip in choppy seas would not be fun.
AJNEDC and timtamw like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I went last may and going this may. I lost my arrival day to a storm but after that it was the odd shower. It mainly rained at night.

I flew out in a qsuite but back with BA and I hate the fact they use the 787. Awful club layout. One of my worst ever flights for service but that’s another story.

This year chose Qatar out and BA back but just coming home WTP. May is definitely better for pricing compared to peak march prices. But as said before I think club gets pretty full because it’s a premium destination so prices are hefty all round.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by timtamw
I went last may and going this may. I lost my arrival day to a storm but after that it was the odd shower. It mainly rained at night.

I flew out in a qsuite but back with BA and I hate the fact they use the 787. Awful club layout. One of my worst ever flights for service but that’s another story.

This year chose Qatar out and BA back but just coming home WTP. May is definitely better for pricing compared to peak march prices. But as said before I think club gets pretty full because it’s a premium destination so prices are hefty all round.
I am on QR, but not Qsuites for the DOH/MLE leg. But that's OK as it's a short flight. Coming to Male was about 3.5 hours. It was a 1-2-1 A359 config so pretty OK with that. My flight from IAD was on Qsuite B773.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by strowger
I loved snorkelling during storms - the rain on the surface (and the utter calm beneath) never stopped being fun.

I have been in the ocean when raining and the temp differential between the cool rain and warmer ocean has been interesting. I didn't do it this time around though as there was fork lightening around.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 2:16 am

I am on QR, but not Qsuites for the DOH/MLE leg. But that's OK as it's a short flight. Coming to Male was about 3.5 hours. It was a 1-2-1 A359 config so pretty OK with that. My flight from IAD was on Qsuite B773.
Yeah my DOH-MLE was on a 777 leased from Cathay. It was actually alright I liked the layout and it was quiet. I’m taking the same route this year but slightly different coming home.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by strowger

I was snorkelling with the sting rays today, and while doing so, a squall moved in. it was just as you said. pretty calm beneath while raining on the surface. Quite fun.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 3:19 pm

Well my Maldives vacation trip is over and it was wonderful. Last day was hazy but no rain till I was onboard my flight out. Overall, an excellent trip and I would definitely do it again.
timtamw likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:21 am

I cant wait for next month when I arrive now its wonderful isnt it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.