Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘Booking on hold’ due to family emergency - questions

Old Dec 20, 2023, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold

BA have kindly placed my booking on hold to be reused within validity due to a family emergency. A couple of questions though if I may…
  1. there’s currently just one pax on the PNR…can I rebook using the value over multiple people? It’s an expensive cash ticket at the moment albeit was restrictive from a refund perspective.
  2. in the event I rebook and my plans change on the new booking, do the new fare rules apply? I.e. if the new fare rules were less restrictive, could I change/cancel and get cash back? Or would it go back into the ‘held’ booking?

thanks so much!
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:03 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tom139
BA have kindly placed my booking on hold
Sorry about the issues that have disrupted your travel plans.
As to the question about distributing the value, we probably need to know more about the exact nature of the tickets you purchased, class, fare basis, travellers, etc.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Sorry about the issues that have disrupted your travel plans.
As to the question about distributing the value, we probably need to know more about the exact nature of the tickets you purchased, class, fare basis, travellers, etc.
Thank you. It’s currently a commercial WTP booking for one passenger (me!) but upgraded to Club with Avios. BA have said the cash and the Avios are stored within the PNR but I don’t need to fly in the same cabin or route…just that it needs to be the same or greater value. They said if I don’t want to do an MFU, they would refund the Avios.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My general understanding is that when you have used the emergency provisions that BA offer, there is at some point a need to complete the journey as booked, other than on a different date. UuA is reversible anyway, so that makes sense. So to answer the question with the lmited information provided it's
1) No
2) The original fare conditions apply (with the UuA reversible) but if you want a refund instead then the original conditions / cancellation fee etc would apply.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My general understanding is that when you have used the emergency provisions that BA offer, there is at some point a need to complete the journey as booked, other than on a different date. UuA is reversible anyway, so that makes sense. So to answer the question with the lmited information provided it's
1) No
2) The original fare conditions apply (with the UuA reversible) but if you want a refund instead then the original conditions / cancellation fee etc would apply.
Thank you so much. They were very clear it didn’t need to be the same route - so I presume the ‘journey as booked’ means a flight to somewhere of equal or higher value for me only?

For reference, I hadn’t completed the outbound sector so the booking hadn’t been ‘started’ at all…albeit I was due to fly today.

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:28 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
‘journey as booked
If you can preserve the value of the ticket online it will probably get you the best return. Cancellations and rebookings seldom seem to work out as well for the customer. So when you can devote a bit of time to thinking about it, try to figure out what resolution you would really like and try to achieve it.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you so much. They were very clear it didn’t need to be the same route - so I presume the ‘journey as booked’ means a flight to somewhere of equal or higher value for me only?

For reference, I hadn’t completed the outbound sector so the booking hadn’t been ‘started’ at all…albeit I was due to fly today.
That's additional information. Yes, they can't change the name on a coupon but if you go somewhere else instead then you can re-price and pay extra, with some exceptions. If you stick to the same destination then you can be rebooked without further costs. It's a bit like the Covid-19 offline vouchers.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see these recent threads:
agent prevents my medical emergency full refund
Cancelling a flight due to illness

As noted by c-w-s, as travel has not yet begun on the ticket you can probably stick to the same routing without additional cost or change the routing and be subject to repricing.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's additional information. Yes, they can't change the name on a coupon but if you go somewhere else instead then you can re-price and pay extra, with some exceptions. If you stick to the same destination then you can be rebooked without further costs. It's a bit like the Covid-19 offline vouchers.
Sorry but need to correct you here. Even if you keep the same route if this is a commercial fare you will pay the difference if the fare and taxes fees and charges are higher when rebooking.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Just to add (as I had exactly this situation earlier in the year), if you do want to do the same route as originally booked, you DON'T need to have Avios Reward availability in J, there just needs to be a seat in J available on the date that you want to fly. BA are incredibly generous with this, you had to have Avios availability for the original flight to be able to upgrade, but when it's medical they let you pick any flight which has a seat in the J cabin. When it happened to me the agent had to check with a manager on the rules but confirmed that this was the case.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the additional info!
Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
Sorry but need to correct you here. Even if you keep the same route if this is a commercial fare you will pay the difference if the fare and taxes fees and charges are higher when rebooking.
Ah because it was UUA it is still a commercial fare underlying, sorry I missed that part. Mine was an Avios-only ticket on a companion voucher and I was told we didn't need reward seat availability if we were rebooking due to medical. So the question is, if the OP rebooks to a different date on the same route, will the fare of the WTP be repriced, but they will allow him to rebook into J even if no reward seats available? Or is the seat rule only for Avios-only bookings?
Old Dec 22, 2023, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by JessicaB
Just to add (as I had exactly this situation earlier in the year), if you do want to do the same route as originally booked, you DON'T need to have Avios Reward availability in J, there just needs to be a seat in J available on the date that you want to fly. BA are incredibly generous with this, you had to have Avios availability for the original flight to be able to upgrade, but when it's medical they let you pick any flight which has a seat in the J cabin. When it happened to me the agent had to check with a manager on the rules but confirmed that this was the case.
This is only correct if you’ve taken one of the flights already. If you havent taken any flights rebooking due to illness would still require Avios availability when its an Avios booking.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by JessicaB
Ah because it was UUA it is still a commercial fare underlying, sorry I missed that part. Mine was an Avios-only ticket on a companion voucher and I was told we didn't need reward seat availability if we were rebooking due to medical. So the question is, if the OP rebooks to a different date on the same route, will the fare of the WTP be repriced, but they will allow him to rebook into J even if no reward seats available? Or is the seat rule only for Avios-only bookings?

The booking is repriced based on the fares available and to have an Avios upgrade still you would need Avios availability. As far as im aware there arent any different rules for Avios bookings, you would need Avios availability when rebooking. As i mentioned previously its only different if youve taken one or more flight already.

Last edited by Anonba; Dec 22, 2023 at 11:58 am
Old Dec 22, 2023, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Anonba
The booking is repriced based on the fares available and to have an Avios upgrade still you would need Avios availability. As far as im aware there arent any different rules for Avios bookings, you would need Avios availability when rebooking. As i mentioned previously its only different if youve taken one or more flight already.
Thank you very much for clarifying this. All of these rules are complex and it's really helpful to know case by case how things are applied. In my case we had taken one of the flights so the rule applied.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.