Urgent help needed please - passport issue

Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Urgent help needed please - passport issue

I have Avios flights to SIN tomorrow.

I've just discovered my kids passports aren't valid for travel to SIN because they have less then 6 months until expiry. Am I right in thinking that if we travel hand luggage only and remain in transit in SIN with an onward flight booked, we will be allowed to board our BA flight? Or is Christmas cancelled this year??

And is there an official source that I can use to verify my course of action?

Travelling with hand luggage is actually an option because Mr NW is flying Qantas and can take all our luggage.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Newly Wed

I've just discovered my kids passports aren't valid for travel to SIN because they have less then 6 months until expiry. Am I right in thinking that if we travel hand luggage only and remain in transit in SIN with an onward flight booked, we will be allowed to board our BA flight? Or is Christmas cancelled this year??

Travelling with hand luggage is actually an option because Mr NW is flying Qantas and can take all our luggage.
Passport office, same day service upgrade. Belfast/Glasgow/Durham has 9am slots. Note you need the forms from a post office, and photos, but photos often available on site. Not sure how same day upgrade works, but I was offered it in London a few months ago.

Reason for minimum validity is typically to provide them enough time to deport you...so don't think being in transit will help. But am not sure on this point.
becks1 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Academic anyway because its 6 months minimum for Thailand where we are heading anyway.

I could cry.
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:46 pm

And a quick Google - https://www.mfa.gov.sg/Overseas-Miss...ation/FAQ-page

Can I travel with less than six months validity?

You can transit if you do not need to go through immigration in Singapore, though you will still need permission from your airline to board the plane. However, if you do need to go through immigration, you are strongly advised to renew your passport before travelling.
​​​​​​​MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Purely anecdotal but I have flown to Singapore with less than 6 months left on my passport while on the way to New Zealand. So I believe it is fine.

However you have to be able to connect without going landside.

Is it a single ticket?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

SORRY IN A PANIC BUT HOW DO I BOOK SAME DAY APPOINTMENTS? I CAN ONLY FIND LINKS TO AN ONLINE PREMIUM SERVICE WHICH YOU CAN'T USE FOR KIDS.

Transit isn't an option becuase we are going onwards to Thailand and can;t enter there either.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:51 pm

Academic anyway because its 6 months minimum for Thailand where we are heading anyway.

I could cry.
I would still try my luck with the passport office. You'll need to replace the passports anyway, so as I see it, you have nothing to lose by going to HMPO with an appointment (they have a few spare forms there anyway, if this is a blocker).
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL

I could cry.
I believe the 6 months is purely recommended. According to Timatic:

Document Validity:
British passports must be valid for the period of intended stay.
On that basis, BA shouldn't deny you boarding onto the SIN flight and you should be able to connect to Thailand just fine (as long as you don't need to go landside). Might be worth calling the Royal Thai Embassy in London?

The embassy website seems to suggest it isn't actually a requirement either:

Originally Posted by https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/84498-faq?menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072ef
However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 20,000 Baht (450 pounds) per person or 40,000 Baht (900 pounds) per family. Otherwise, you maybe inconvenienced upon entry into the country.
"you maybe inconvenienced upon entry into the country" - what that means I have no clue....
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:53 pm

SORRY IN A PANIC BUT HOW DO I BOOK SAME DAY APPOINTMENTS? I CAN ONLY FIND LINKS TO AN ONLINE PREMIUM SERVICE WHICH YOU CAN'T USE FOR KIDS.

Transit isn't an option becuase we are going onwards to Thailand and can;t enter there either.
I got a same day passport in London in July. I booked the 1 week fast track service (sorry should have clarified this), and upgraded on the day. Will they let you do the same? I hope so.

Link here -- https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-ur...-track-service
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:01 pm

I think you will be fine.
​​​​​​The requirement is your passport is valid for length of stay. It's 'strongly recommended' to have six months to avoid the risk of immigration not allowing you (once you land). US state department and reports on TA back this up.

Relax.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...eturn%20ticket.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...-Thailand.html
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by AviosTreasureHunter
I think you will be fine.
​​​​​​The requirement is your passport is valid for length of stay. It's 'strongly recommended' to have six months to avoid the risk of immigration not allowing you (once you land). US state department and reports on TA back this up.

Relax.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...eturn%20ticket.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...-Thailand.html
OP is travelling on separate tickets - as far as the staff in LHR are concerned, the passenger's destination is SIN and they are not eligible to enter their destination. Not saying this is insurmountable, but it's far from straightforward.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by cauchy
OP is travelling on separate tickets - as far as the staff in LHR are concerned, the passenger's destination is SIN and they are not eligible to enter their destination. Not saying this is insurmountable, but it's far from straightforward.
We need more info from OP.
Sounds like two tickets. LHR-SIN and SIN-Thailand.
SG Government say no issue with passport validity if in transit. OP can show BA that information tomorrow at LHR. If they refuse him, s/he can claim IDB and refund.
I assume OP is connecting to an LCC in SIN as s/he is HBO. If s/he can check in online for LCC, then hopefully it will all be fine as can avoid SIN immigration.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

The OP has Avios flights to SIN.
We are spending 3 nights in SIN then flying to Chiang Mai for 4 nights, the 6 nights in Koh Samui, and back to SIN for 1 night to catch our Avios flight home.

Unfortunately the transit plan won't work because we also need 6 months remaining on passports for Thailand.

I have booked an appointment at the Passport Office in Liverpool tomorrow afternoon and will try to get the same day service. If that happens, I'll have to cancel my Avios flights and book cash as they are GGL redemptions and there is no availability for the foreseeable future.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:07 pm

The OP has Avios flights to SIN.
We are spending 3 nights in SIN then flying to Chiang Mai for 4 nights, the 6 nights in Koh Samui, and back to SIN for 1 night to catch our Avios flight home.

Unfortunately the transit plan won't work because we also need 6 months remaining on passports for Thailand.

I have booked an appointment at the Passport Office in Liverpool tomorrow afternoon and will try to get the same day service. If that happens, I'll have to cancel my Avios flights and book cash as they are GGL redemptions and there is no availability for the foreseeable future.
The six months for Thailand isn't actually a set in stone requirement. It's 'strongly advised' and not a Timatic requirement.
If you forego your 3 nights in SIN, and book LCC HBOs to fly out to Thailand a few hours after your arrival in SIN, you should be good to go.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 7:02 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Same day service is ordinarily not available for children.

I believe when you do the same day service for adults they print the new passport beforehand, however for children the photo needs to be countersigned so they won't process it until you attend the appointment.

Earlier this year I did the 1 week service for my son in Glasgow and I was advised it would be faster to have it posted than to wait for collection (it arrived in 2 days and sat in my postbox for a week), which suggests to me that the new passport would be printed elsewhere and then posted to Glasgow if I had really wanted to collect

I don't know how it goes in Liverpool though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.