Urgent help needed please - passport issue

Old Dec 14, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Thank you all for your helpful advice. They say a picture paints a thousand words so, here goes…..

There is no way we would have been approved for travel without me having all the relevant information to hand as the initial response from the back office approval desk was “no”. But armed with boarding passes for an onward flight within 24 hours, a confirmed booking at the transit hotel, and hand luggage only I pressed for reconsideration and it was approved. I don’t think entry to Thailand was much of an issue, it was more about checking the transfer rules in Singapore.

The whole process took about 15 minutes so now we are in F lounge with 4.5 hours to kill.

Phew!!
Congrats 🎉🎉👏
Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
She also had a 5 night BA Holiday hotel booking in South Africa and no entry clearance to use that reservation! Full and accurate facts are essential in these situations if we are able to offer reliable advice.
There was no evidence that this had any bearing on BAs decision at the time. Of course since that poster didn’t disclose that to FT until later it’s possible that it could have.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Final update and more good news

We arrived in SIN on BA11 all ready to spend the night in the transit hotel. However, I took a chance at immigration and explained the situation. Again after showing the documents evidencing our transit booking and onward flight, plus our original booking to Thailand on Monday, the kids were granted 4 day visas to enter Singapore. So, here we are, and the view is a bit better than it would have been had we stayed at the airport.

The hotel was the kids choice and I have to say the rooftop pool is a great jet lag buster.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Am I right in thinking that....we will be allowed to board our BA flight?
This is the most frequent existential question asked on this forum...

Or is Christmas cancelled this year??
Christmas was almost cancelled this year as the Grinch made the children's passports' 6-month validity disappear, but crisis was averted in the last minute with some fancy fairy work...
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Good result, Newly Wed

I think it was also a wise decision to consult the FT hive mind immediately...

For those who are now checking UK passport validity as a result of this, I can report that passport turn round times seem to be short at the moment. My data point - Digital 'check and send' service at the post office last Thursday (7 Dec), passport received today (15 Dec)

The postie said he had 15 passports to deliver on this round!
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Some double checking at the Scoot check-in in SIN for our flight to Chiang Mai, but cleared to board and no problem at Thai immigration.
chessman, Tobias-UK and Keystone like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Congratulations. Merry Christmas !!
Newly Wed likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:14 am

Programs: BA, VS
Glad this all worked out, enjoy your break. It made me check our kids passports and they expire within 6 months of our next trip at Easter, so will be a job for the new year. It makes you realise just how quickly (almost) five years flies by!
Newly Wed likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 2:44 am
Original Poster

On our way home after a fabulous time in Singapore, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui.

I was worried that Bangkok Air might not let us board our Samui - SIN flight but they weren’t phased by the kids being in transit and even offered to check our bags through to LHR.

So we’re now lounge hoping in SIN. We started with salt & pepper squid in the QF lounge. It was deserted when we arrived around 4.30pm but an hour later when we finished lunch there was nowhere to sit. So we’ve decamped to the QR and we are literally the only people in here.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:12 am

Glad you had a great holiday and the return has gone smoothly.
Newly Wed likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
On our way home after a fabulous time in Singapore, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui.

I was worried that Bangkok Air might not let us board our Samui - SIN flight but they weren’t phased by the kids being in transit and even offered to check our bags through to LHR.

So we’re now lounge hoping in SIN. We started with salt & pepper squid in the QF lounge. It was deserted when we arrived around 4.30pm but an hour later when we finished lunch there was nowhere to sit. So we’ve decamped to the QR and we are literally the only people in here.
Oh, unlucky about the CS—>Yin Yang swap, fly in the ointment BA15 LHR-SYD 28th Dec Aircraft Swap / BA16 SYD-LHR

I was booked on BA32/1 a month ago with the missus, hoping for CS (quickly dashed). Then had the opportunity to send away the missus on her own JAL Global Club pre-change run, so I can occupy the 7K/13K seats and not take the aisle..
Newly Wed likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Oh, unlucky about the CS—>Yin Yang swap, fly in the ointment BA15 LHR-SYD 28th Dec Aircraft Swap / BA16 SYD-LHR

I was booked on BA32/1 a month ago with the missus, hoping for CS (quickly dashed). Then had the opportunity to send away the missus on her own JAL Global Club pre-change run, so I can occupy the 7K/13K seats and not take the aisle..
I did nearly add a moan about the plane change, but decided it would be churlish given we almost got no holiday at all.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Data point: my kids’ passports have taken 11 days to renew via the online standard process.

The fast track service that requires an appointment at a passport office has a 7 day turnaround for kids, so very little benefit and much less convenient.

Discovering within 7 days of travel that your child’s passport is expired / has insufficient time left is likely to be insurmountable unless travel plans can be changed.
percysmith and sammyg901 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Discovering within 7 days of travel that your child’s passport is expired / has insufficient time left is likely to be insurmountable unless travel plans can be changed.
Tbh you children’s passports are five months remaining validity rather than five days remaining validity, there’s a lot more they can be done for the former than the latter.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:55 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
We arrived in SIN on BA11 all ready to spend the night in the transit hotel. However, I took a chance at immigration and explained the situation. Again after showing the documents evidencing our transit booking and onward flight, plus our original booking to Thailand on Monday, the kids were granted 4 day visas to enter Singapore. So, here we are, and the view is a bit better than it would have been had we stayed at the airport.

The hotel was the kids choice and I have to say the rooftop pool is a great jet lag buster.
Out of sheer curiosity, were you offered an entry stamp or something of that sort? Those physical things are very much out-of-use in Singapore, but it'll be interesting if you and the children were offered some form of paper documentation to enter Singapore for just four days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.