Urgent help needed please - passport issue

Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
In the early 2000s I used to make sure my husband came into the airport with us if I was travelling with the kids alone but I haven’t had a problem with it in many years, and in fact at some point failed to remember to bring the solicitor-witnessed letter I used to carry, and am only remembering it now. I only have anecdotal experience but OP should be fine travelling with children alone.

Wishing some good luck to the whole family.

Edited to add: Cheers!

Last edited by Arsey00; Dec 14, 2023 at 7:42 am Reason: Posted before seeing OP’s update
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:34 am

Glad to hear it worked out. Don't forget to mark down to get your kids' passports renewed upon your return!
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: BA silver
I have just read this thread and I have to hand it to all those of you who contributed to helping the OP. Well done to you all. For me this is the essence of what a forum like this should be all about, all the moreso at this time of year with kids involved
Happy travels to the OP and her family. Im sure she is eternally grateful for your help
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:27 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
A great story - thanks for the update and travel well.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Out of curiosity did you flag the issue or did the member of staff notice?
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Out of curiosity did you flag the issue or did the member of staff notice?
I flagged it. The system had already identified the passports as being not valid for travel and I assumed the check in agent would see the same message. [Plus I not prepared to risk my career by doing something that might be perceived as dishonest.]. It was far better to go armed with the explanation and the information they needed to make the right decision.
Kgmm77, wrp96, Geordie405 and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I was hoping for a little bit more drama...just kidding. Glad everything worked out for you. Enjoy the journey and kudos for all the helpful posters.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Glad everything worked out for you. Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
Newly Wed , there was a long case with BA in T5 where check-in agents denied a PRC passport holder from boarding BA flight to South Africa for lack of visa, ignoring the traveller's presentation of a stand-alone same day ticket to take her out of South Africa with another airline.
BA denied wife & daughters boarding due incorrect use of Timatic
Please report back. We could use a counter example to the South African case.
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Thank you all for your helpful advice. They say a picture paints a thousand words so, here goes…..

There is no way we would have been approved for travel without me having all the relevant information to hand as the initial response from the back office approval desk was “no”. But armed with boarding passes for an onward flight within 24 hours, a confirmed booking at the transit hotel, and hand luggage only I pressed for reconsideration and it was approved. I don’t think entry to Thailand was much of an issue, it was more about checking the transfer rules in Singapore.

The whole process took about 15 minutes so now we are in F lounge with 4.5 hours to kill.

Phew!!
I tried doing a summary of what Newly Wed did right vs what BTP 's wife may have done wrong.
Certainly forewarned is forearmed applies here (the beauty of FT)?

Conversely Newly Wed 's data point shows BTP 's wife could have been checked through and had enough time to have been checked in, but for some reason the staff that day cannot look beyond the original itinerary in the system and assess other documentation the passenger was presenting.

(There may be errors in this summary - please point them out and I'm happy to update when pointed out to me)
hotturnip, ZenFlyer, :D! and 6 others like this.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 14, 2023 at 3:19 pm
Old Dec 14, 2023, 4:11 pm

I tried doing a summary of what Newly Wed did right vs what BTP 's wife may have done wrong.
Certainly forewarned is forearmed applies here (the beauty of FT)?

Conversely Newly Wed 's data point shows BTP 's wife could have been checked through and had enough time to have been checked in, but for some reason the staff that day cannot look beyond the original itinerary in the system and assess other documentation the passenger was presenting.

(There may be errors in this summary - please point them out and I'm happy to update when pointed out to me)
A big difference is that Newly Wed, while also initially denied boarding, had the docs ready to prove their case. Also, as you point out, they had enough time for everyone to get through the situation relaxed.

"There is no way we would have been approved for travel without me having all the relevant information to hand as the initial response from the back office approval desk was “no”. But armed with boarding passes for an onward flight within 24 hours, a confirmed booking at the transit hotel, and hand luggage only I pressed for reconsideration and it was approved."
flygirl68 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
A big difference is that Newly Wed, while also initially denied boarding, had the docs ready to prove their case.
BTP 's wife also had the ticket on MK to MRU, and it was presented to the two agents.

Plus BTP looking up Timatic in real time and sending the screencaps to the agents thru his wife while the processing took place. Did not change their minds.

But yes - Newly Wed had plenty of time for agents to reconsider. Maybe having time will chill the staff even if they didn't actually have to use it.
adrianlondon likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 14, 2023 at 4:29 pm
Old Dec 14, 2023, 4:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
BTP 's wife also had the ticket on MK to MRU, and it was presented to the two agents.

Plus BTP looking up Timatic in real time and sending the screencaps to the agents thru his wife while the processing took place. Did not change their minds.

But yes - Newly Wed had plenty of time for agents to reconsider. Maybe having time will chill the staff even if they didn't actually have to use it.
She also had a 5 night BA Holiday hotel booking in South Africa and no entry clearance to use that reservation! Full and accurate facts are essential in these situations if we are able to offer reliable advice.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:20 pm

Excellent news to hear it worked out for OP!
Very happy to hear this.
I hope OP has great holiday and enjoys many glasses of champagne to get over the very unfortunate stress of this.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
She also had a 5 night BA Holiday hotel booking in South Africa and no entry clearance to use that reservation! Full and accurate facts are essential in these situations if we are able to offer reliable advice.
I thought OP also had a SIN-Thailand-SIN onward segments on her LHR-SIN tix, but reading the case further, that couldn't have happened.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Well done to the OP. Was it on BA15 yesterday? If so,we were on the same flight ✈️

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.