Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 LHR-SIN-SYD. Do pax get off and back on again at SIN?

Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I am flying LHR-SIN-SYD on BA15 in February. This is a long time to be on a plane but hopefully it will be eased somewhat by being in F. My question concerns what happens during the refuelling stop at SIN. Do SYD pax get a chance to get off the plane and stretch their legs or do we stay onboard? My suspicion would be the latter. On the return leg I will be flying SYD-DOH and then DOH-LHR on QR F so it will definitely get the chance to stretch my legs at DOH. I am looking forward to comparing the QR trip back to LHR with the outbound trip.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by drpabs
I am flying LHR-SIN-SYD on BA15 in February. This is a long time to be on a plane but hopefully it will be eased somewhat by being in F. My question concerns what happens during the refuelling stop at SIN. Do SYD pax get a chance to get off the plane and stretch their legs or do we stay onboard? My suspicion would be the latter. On the return leg I will be flying SYD-DOH and then DOH-LHR on QR F so it will definitely get the chance to stretch my legs at DOH. I am looking forward to comparing the QR trip back to LHR with the outbound trip.
All passengers get off the plane at SIN while it is cleaned and refuelled. You can head to either the BA / Qantas or Qatar lounge and grab a shower to freshen up should you wish.

Pilot37
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, IHG One Rewards, Melia Rewards
I This is a long time to be on a plane but hopefully it will be eased somewhat by being in F. .
I feel your pain lol
Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As said you get off at SIN and re-embark. So if you get your legs on you can grab a shower. Also note the liquids rule is enforced going in to Australia with a security check at the gate before re-embarkation, so don't bother taking any amenity items / bottle of water from one flight to the next. You'll get a fresh amenity kit.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I am flying LHR-SIN-SYD on BA15 in February. This is a long time to be on a plane but hopefully it will be eased somewhat by being in F.
I wonder how people flying in economy class will feel then!?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 9:44 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Haven’t flown this route for a few years but I do recall getting off the aircraft for a few hours
Old Dec 7, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: OneWorld
I have done this route 5 times in each direction. In my experience the main risk is that the flight is late into SIN, in which case you have very little time to use the lounge before returning to the gate, especially as the terminal is so big that it can take a while to get to it. Also, if you're travelling with hand baggage only and have 2 or more items, be careful with security when back at the gate. The security zone is quite cramped and, if they decide to be throrough, the process can be a bit of a pain.
HFHFFlyer likes this.

Last edited by JonathanFWright; Dec 7, 2023 at 12:46 pm
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by JonathanFWright
I have done this route 5 times in each direction. In my experience the main risk is that the flight is late into SIN, in which case you have very little time to use the lounge before returning to the gate, especially as the terminal is so big that it can take a while to get to it. Also, if you're travelling with hand baggage only and have 2 or more items, be careful with security when back at the gate. The security zone is quite cramped and, if they decide to be throrough, the process can be a bit of a pain.
Being the same aircraft, the turnaround is pretty much the same duration if the inbound flight is on-time or late. Naturally if it's early then you may have a little longer.
Blenheim and JonathanFWright like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by JonathanFWright
I have done this route 5 times in each direction. In my experience the main risk is that the flight is late into SIN, in which case you have very little time to use the lounge before returning to the gate, especially as the terminal is so big that it can take a while to get to it. Also, if you're travelling with hand baggage only and have 2 or more items, be careful with security when back at the gate. The security zone is quite cramped and, if they decide to be thorough, the process can be a bit of a pain.
Just to reiterate, you'll have to take all your stuff off the aircraft (even if you are continuing in the same seat) and go through another security check at the gate before re-boarding (I can't remember if there is a fast track at the gate?).
littlefish and andy_nD like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by peter h
Just to reiterate, you'll have to take all your stuff off the aircraft (even if you are continuing in the same seat) and go through another security check at the gate before re-boarding (I can't remember if there is a fast track at the gate?).
there usually is but as the security is specific to the gate as long as youre in line at a reaonable
time then you will get to board no matter how long it takes.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
A 'C' gate arrival if you are lucky should give you enough to for a shower and a quick snack, but 'D' gates, and you'll need to walk really fast; in this case head to the Qatar lounge as it is usually less busy than the others.
JonathanFWright likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I did this flight on Wednesday in Economy, so you being in F makes me jealous!

As others have said you get off, taking all your belongings with you. We landed 16 minutes late at gate C15. I exited the jet bridge at 19:00 and was back in my seat at 20:06 (I know this from the logs of calls and messages I sent during the time). Going to the lounge would have been nice, but would have been far too rushed for my preference.

Full security check again to get into the gate area, but nice that there are drinking water taps in the holding pen should you decide to enter the zone early. Apparently the airplane was "sanitised" during the wait, but interesting to find the same foil wrapper from the chocolates handed out still on my arm rest where I'd left it!
Old Dec 7, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As someone who does this regularly
- You will need to get off the plane with all of your things
- You will get a new amenity kit, PJs etc
- If a shower is important, I would go to the closest lounge. Best showers are either QR (great esp. the one for people with ability issues - which is the closest on the left as it is huge!), and the QF J showers. QF F showers have no water pressure, and BA showers the room is tiny with no ventilation and it is like trying to get changed in a sauna which sort of destroys the whole point
- watch the boards and time - as this is a open gate they literally just open the the doors and board - I have often been the very last person to board even with 20-25 mins on the clock
- annoyingly BA15 will board, and then sit for an hour at the gate as the flight time is often fast and they cannot land before 6am at SYD.
- first world problem - often on BA15 they will not have champagne available and will often just have some awful prosecco - I like prosecco but this one is best for the battery. The LPSS will come out after take off.
- security is at the gate which has the AU liquids rule, and I think DF must be picked up in Singapore at the gate, so if you bought in LHR and it is sealed it may not be allowed.
- There is a "priority" lane for security but given you have one for economy and one for premium, and any kind of status, and people just sought of drift from one lane to the other - is why I am often last.

When you land in SYD we have these annoying little passport machines (before duty free shops) that you need to use to get a card to put in the next machine which is at immigration! - as well as the biosecurity card you fill out. Find the first machine that you see, as the queues build up and up the closer you get to the immigration desks.
If you have anything to declare in SYD like food - while waiting for your bags if you see a biosecurity agent wandering around - often with a dog, flag them down if what you have is minor such as some biscuits, etc - as they can approve your items on the spot.
Take a moment to look at the biosecurity/exit queues - there is no red or green channel, no priority channel through biosecurity but there is often a massive queue near where the QF 380 (from SIN) belt is, and then no queue at the other exits - there are at least four queues, up to eight if it gets busy.

Enjoy F, I am sure you will cope...

KF

Last edited by Koru Flyer; Dec 7, 2023 at 4:37 pm
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Another BA15 question: what happens to the crew? Is it a whole new set of staff that join in SIN?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
Another BA15 question: what happens to the crew? Is it a whole new set of staff that join in SIN?
Yes and they didnt seem to have any handover from the previous about special requests etc either.
Blenheim likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.