Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 to be retrofitted with Club Suites by 2026

Old Dec 2, 2023, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*

I have searched the forum and don't see mention of this so wanted to share that BA has announced a timeline for their retrofit of Club World on the A380:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...business-class
Old Dec 2, 2023, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by goldengate
I have searched the forum and don't see mention of this so wanted to share that BA has announced a timeline for their retrofit of Club World on the A380:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...business-class
That's not BA announcing a timeline for the A380 retrofit. That's some blogger making wide, non commital speculation based on the assumption that all of Club World will be Club Suite by the end of 2026.

I'm sure there's a dedicated BA fleet page where its already been widely speculated the A380's will begin their refit programme next year. Infact one has already headed to MNL last week for heavy maintenance. Whether or not that includes any form of cabin refresh remains to be seen.
PGberkshire likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Dec 2, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Old Dec 2, 2023, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I can see how you would say that and it might be that he's made too great a leap. However BA is telling investors etc that 100% of their fleet will be new Club Suites, and their fleet does include A380's, so.... unless they are going to retire the A380, which is now unlikely given the demand, I think it's a logical jump. I just flew CW in the 380 last month (upstairs, thank goodness) and it is in desperate need of a refresh. My seat was barely functional.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Club suites on the upper deck is more space-efficient use of the deck than on the lower deck.

Id be intrigued to see what they do with First.

As mentioned in the article, LX and QF seem to have gone in a particular directionhowever achieving that as a 1-1-1 on the upper deck might be tight? And would that mean its just 6F on the A380?

It may become very exclusive when compared to todays A380 F, possibly with a fare premium over other non-A380 F seats. This would make the use of UuA very very rare, and the use of GUFs and Jokers difficult but possibly more valuable.

Last edited by Foofighter69; Dec 2, 2023 at 1:45 pm
Old Dec 2, 2023, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

The presentation is actually interesting to those who fly and follow this airline... it's the second presentation on this page:
https://www.iairgroup.com/investors-...kets-day-2023/

The mention of the Club World Suites is on page 55, and ties in with the general theme of their presentation - they say they are running higher margins than peers and that they are making huge investments in the customer experience and to grow premium travel which has become 75% leisure focused.

From reading the presentation, I think it's a logical assumption that they are (a) keeping the A380 and that it is part of their plans to upgrade their entire fleet.
Foofighter69 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I read in another post on FT that the F suites are too heavy for the upper deck. Interesting if that's true.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I read in another post on FT that the F suites are too heavy for the upper deck. Interesting if that's true.
Reference?
Old Dec 2, 2023, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Oh are you really going to make me search FT for that... LOL... I think I just closed that tab....
ijgordon and choosethedrew like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
A whole 7 years after the first ones were fitted.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
A whole 7 years after the first ones were fitted.
Consider that the supplier produces about 4 of those seats per day.
becks1 and opus99 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
other airlines (eg qatar) have first suites on the top deck of the a380 so I'd be surprised if it were true. There are also the large spaces for restrooms/showers which currently on BA are available to upstairs club and not first passengers
Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
Consider that the supplier produces about 4 of those seats per day.
In hindsight though, I bet they wish they had chosen a different one.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:21 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Oh are you really going to make me search FT for that... LOL... I think I just closed that tab....
Originally Posted by firstlight
other airlines (eg qatar) have first suites on the top deck of the a380 so I'd be surprised if it were true. There are also the large spaces for restrooms/showers which currently on BA are available to upstairs club and not first passengers
I read this earlier today as well, a thread about woes on the A380 which I now can't find.
Apparently the purchasing airline can specify the reinforcement level for the deck and BA chose the cheap option, so now going for an all J upper deck in the refit.
goldengate and ScottishTX like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
Club suites on the upper deck is more space-efficient use of the deck than on the lower deck.

Id be intrigued to see what they do with First.

As mentioned in the article, LX and QF seem to have gone in a particular directionhowever achieving that as a 1-1-1 on the upper deck might be tight? And would that mean its just 6F on the A380?

It may become very exclusive when compared to todays A380 F, possibly with a fare premium over other non-A380 F seats. This would make the use of UuA very very rare, and the use of GUFs and Jokers difficult but possibly more valuable.
I dont think it makes sense for BA to differentiate between F products to that extent, so cant see that approach being followed. Id also be very surprised if there were fewer than 8 F seats post-refurb.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 4:00 pm
Suspended

When they uopdate they might be lucky and only be ten years behind the competition
aristoph and kitbag1984 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.