DEL - Delhi airport (Indira Gandhi)

Old Nov 20, 23, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI
DEL - Delhi airport (Indira Gandhi)

Hi everyone,
So I wanted a bit of advice.
Last time I went to India was a fair few years ago. Airports were a glorified scrum involving generally pushing to get anywhere whilst avoiding around 500 people trying to 'carry your bags' for you and 'help you' but really just wanting money.
Also immigration wasn't the fastest.
Just wondered if anyone has been through DEL lately and what it is like landing and getting through to landside and then the whole departing side of things. I gather the airports have been completley rebuilt so are much more pleasant overall though......
FD.
Old Nov 20, 23, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The new airport terminal is excellent and you should have a a seamless journey, it maybe busy but well organised with plenty of staff around to assist.
13901 and Pilou like this.
Old Nov 20, 23, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Hurrah! Thanks!
FD.
Old Nov 20, 23, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I departed from there last week and it wasn't too bad. Getting into the terminal building was a bit of a pain (print off your itinerary email which clearly shows your name to make it easier), and there's no fast track security, but it was all seamless enough. BA were being very strict on the cabin baggage size limits at check in. The whole terminal felt modern, was clean enough and well signposted. I didn't get approached once by anyone trying to get money out of me, or wanting to offer services.
Pilou likes this.
Old Nov 20, 23, 8:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The one bit of advice I'd offer on departing is that even if you're hand-baggage-only you have to get yourself issued with an official boarding pass from the airline which means you have to visit the bag drop desks. If you take yourself off straight to passport control with a non-official boarding pass (e.g. printed at a hotel) you'll be sent back and will have to start again. The official boarding pass is used for stamps at passport control and at security.
Old Nov 20, 23, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
The one bit of advice I'd offer on departing is that even if you're hand-baggage-only you have to get yourself issued with an official boarding pass from the airline which means you have to visit the bag drop desks. If you take yourself off straight to passport control with a non-official boarding pass (e.g. printed at a hotel) you'll be sent back and will have to start again. The official boarding pass is used for stamps at passport control and at security.
Agree with this, and BA wont even provide you with a PDF printable BP at online check in (so you cant fall foul if flying BA).

This is what creates the issue entering the terminal - I tried to show the officer my booking on the app, but he wasnt happy with seeing my full name there. I had to show him myself opening MMB and displaying passenger details there. And its not possible to join the airport wifi unless you have an Indian phone number (or a code which you can only get from inside the building!).
Old Nov 20, 23, 8:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by stevebintley
Agree with this, and BA wont even provide you with a PDF printable BP at online check in (so you cant fall foul if flying BA).
Interesting. The reason I know this problem so intimately is because I did have a boarding pass that I printed at my hotel and only discovered it was a problem when I reached the front of the passport control queue. That particular problem was a few years ago so perhaps the BA process has been amended to avoid it happing to others.
Old Nov 20, 23, 8:47 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
The airport, while nothing special, is fine. The only advice i would add: on arrival, follow the signs for the e visa deks (assuming you have an e visa) which is all the way at the far end of immigration desks - just keep walking. Most people stop at the first few which are always rammed. IME, the e visa desks at far end are empty and quick. Also, print your e visa and your itinerary, as noted above...
Old Nov 20, 23, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Interesting. The reason I know this problem so intimately is because I did have a boarding pass that I printed at my hotel and only discovered it was a problem when I reached the front of the passport control queue. That particular problem was a few years ago so perhaps the BA process has been amended to avoid it happing to others.
Maybe something good with their IT finally! Last week I got the common no mobile BP available message, and when clicking for other options the only one presented is to collect at the airport. The machines outside the terminal dont handle BA. Desks open almost five hours before the 3am departure, presumably because they have to deal with every passenger.
golfmad likes this.
Old Nov 20, 23, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks this is all great.
I will print out the itinerary - that is easy and then we can have it and also I did not it said anyway to print the e-Visa and I will look for the far end of the queue and immigration desks.......
FD.
Old Nov 20, 23, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Thanks this is all great.
I will print out the itinerary - that is easy and then we can have it and also I did not it said anyway to print the e-Visa and I will look for the far end of the queue and immigration desks.......
FD.
If travelling in Business or First Class then I believe you can use the Business Class line which is just at bottom of stairs when entering passport control hall
Old Nov 20, 23, 9:21 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by Kay_Baden
If travelling in Business or First Class then I believe you can use the Business Class line which is just at bottom of stairs when entering passport control hall
If they are busy though, seriously keep going, the e visa area is just so much quicker.
Old Nov 20, 23, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Just transited through DEL a few weeks ago. Some tips, which others in this thread have pointed out:

1.) Fly Business or First. It has fast and separate security and a fast, separate passport control line. Without it, you will be stuck in Gen Pop lines....in India.

2.) Print out your entire itinerary, preferably from the airline. Security won't let you in the door without it and I saw several people turned away. Paper boarding passes are also a must.

3.) If you are connecting onward from DEL, you have to pick up your bags and re-check them, similar to a US airport (or at least I did, when connecting within India.)
Old Nov 20, 23, 9:51 am

And, it is Indira GANDHI, not Ghandi (with an emphasis on the "A", pronounced as "aa").
If you were to pronounce that as Ghandi, that might not always be welcome - can be a touchy topic!
Why?
Indira Priyadarshini Nehru (daugther of India's first PM, Jawahar Lal Nehru) was married to Feroze Gandhi, a follower of the Parsi faith.
However, his original name was Ghandy (a Parsi name), and then he changed it to Gandhi (usually a Hindu name) -- but he was no relation to Mohandas (aka "Mahatma") Gandhi.
But many, many people used to be (and, perhaps still are) confused, and assume that Indira Gandhi and her son (former PM, Rajiv Gandhi) and grandson (current informal leader and opposition candidate for PM, Rahul Gandhi) are related to Mahatma Gandhi.
There also is the question of Feroze Ghandy being a Parsi (who was given a Parsi burial upon death rather than a Hindu cremation), and that opens up a can of worms about whether Rajiv can claim to be a Hindu, and in turn whether Rahul can claim to be Hindu (since his mother is Catholic).

So, in these charged times, best to avoid "Ghandi" since that will sound close enough to "Ghandy"!
Old Nov 20, 23, 9:57 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Flew in last Monday. No lines for E Visa. Was off the plane and through to landslide with my bag in under 20 mins.

Made JFK look like a disgrace!!

landed at 12am from a VS flight FYI
Pilou and ffI like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.