Finally managed to snap a J Japan flight

Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Finally managed to snap a J Japan flight

After only Y or occasionally WTP flights this year, I finally managed to snap an Avios J Japan flight on ba.com for next year.

Probably not a big deal for most folks here and nothing that may even warrant a post, but for me who now does perhaps a dozen Y flights a year that are probably on average at least 10h+ long, it is a bit of relief that I am really looking forward to. Based on the seat map, it is 1-2-1 config and so I grabbed the single window seat. Not sure what to expect with AY62 in J as I never flew AY in J, only BA's old J product. But 1-2-1 sound much better offering that old BA Club World product that I last flew to Asia, and it was 2-3-2 config.

I was surprised there seem to be quite a bit of Avios options to chose from on various dates - I went with the AY option HND-HEL-LHR as it was circa 93k Avios and just over 200 something in cash, which I found very reasonable!
LapLap and ttama like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Finnair last week loaded a substantial number of Avios seats throughout the schedule in implementation of their policy which guarantees availability of a minimum number of Avios seat on every flight.

AY J is an excellent product - I think you will like it.

More details available on this article: https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/1...g-avios-seats/
OGG flyer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingnomad
Finnair last week loaded a substantial number of Avios seats throughout the schedule in implementation of their policy which guarantees availability of a minimum number of Avios seat on every flight.

AY J is an excellent product - I think you will like it.

More details available on this article: https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/1...g-avios-seats/
Wow, talk about lucky timing! I had no clue, thank you.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
After only Y or occasionally WTP flights this year, I finally managed to snap an Avios J Japan flight on ba.com for next year.

Probably not a big deal for most folks here and nothing that may even warrant a post, but for me who now does perhaps a dozen Y flights a year that are probably on average at least 10h+ long, it is a bit of relief that I am really looking forward to. Based on the seat map, it is 1-2-1 config and so I grabbed the single window seat. Not sure what to expect with AY62 in J as I never flew AY in J, only BA's old J product. But 1-2-1 sound much better offering that old BA Club World product that I last flew to Asia, and it was 2-3-2 config.

I was surprised there seem to be quite a bit of Avios options to chose from on various dates - I went with the AY option HND-HEL-LHR as it was circa 93k Avios and just over 200 something in cash, which I found very reasonable!
JL tends to open up premium-cabin award availability close to departure date, so if you are willing to pay the BA change fee, check a couple of weeks before your travel date, and you might be able to snag the JL nonstop.

Here's an example of availability later this month courtesy of the AA app, showing AA -- not BA -- redemption rates and fees (no log-in required):

OGG flyer and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:14 am
Original Poster

So I can swap AY Avios booking to JAL for only a change fee (and perhaps extra Avios difference?)

JL tends to open up premium-cabin award availability close to departure date, so if you are willing to pay the BA change fee, check a couple of weeks before your travel date, and you might be able to snag the JL nonstop.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
So I can swap AY Avios booking to JAL for only a change fee (and perhaps extra Avios difference?)
You can change the booking, or just book the new itinerary and then immediately cancel the old one. BAEC award service fees here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...d-service-fees

I should think that the Avios required for the nonstop would be less than that required for a connection.

Good luck!
OGG flyer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 3:42 pm

AY is good but JL is better. If you have the Avios book F, which also becomes available close to the travel date. Its superlative!
OGG flyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.