Multiple complaints yet everyone books BA

Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Multiple complaints yet everyone books BA

BA is not the best, by far. I bring my own food and don't expect great service anymore. So maybe I'm just used to them?
Onboarding is always chaos. Flight from GLA or EDI always late. Bring my carry on so they don't lose my bag.
Lounges are filthy and crawling with rodents (well at Heathrow).
I book them prob 4 times a year.
However the complaints - from forums and people around me are non-stop.
For me it's convenience and price. I must go to either EDI or GLA (from LAX) and Business is usually 1K cheaper than other airlines... unless I'm missing something?
Just curious, since I'm once again (gulp ) ready to book another ticket with them.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Much hinges on routes and connections. There is no perfect solution, especially when Domestic gets thrown into the mix.
crazy8534 and noob2022 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
What is your point OP?

i have never seen Rodents at Heathrow and service has been good.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Emirates blue
Originally Posted by Kay_Baden
What is your point OP?

i have never seen Rodents at Heathrow and service has been good.
I second that. I am perfectly happy to use BA about 2- 3 times a year for the last 20 years, obviously nowhere near as much as others. For the first time I had a couple of issues LHR/JNB in August for which I await a resolution but, apart from that theyve been great.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:02 pm

The route system from LHR is what keeps most of us on BA. But the deterioration of service absolutely costs them business. Im still guest list but with 40-50% less tier pints than I used to earn while flying the same amount with the rest of my business going elsewhere.
dk9 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold,, Chevalier d'Honneur des Muccis
I have 39 BA flights under my belt since march and am more than happy with every one of them. Sometimes it goes wrong and I roll with the punches, when it goes very wrong I whinge and get a nice level of ‘shut up’ payment. I have more issues with the ground product than that in flight - specifically looking at you, Birmingham Airport!

I also have 4 Lufthansa, 8 AF, 1 KLM, and 1 air dingus flights in the same period and am equally happy with them too. Maybe I’m easily satisfied.
HIDDY, Shingi, Gengy and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by PlungeTEX
The route system from LHR is what keeps most of us on BA. But the deterioration of service absolutely costs them business. Im still guest list but with 40-50% less tier pints than I used to earn while flying the same amount with the rest of my business going elsewhere.
Deterioration of service costs them nothing unfortunately. They can "enhance" left, right and center, double the price of flights and yet people will happily pay more and more for this. Yes, there is a decent enough network and connections may be good at times, but a lot of people will never change their habits / routine; wouldn't be seen dead on other (potentially low cost) airlines; be delusional and keep wearing their rose tinted glasses.
Look at all these Sofia flights. Full of people doing their last minute runs to keep their gold cards that they might utilise a couple of times a year. The BAEC keeps people flying with BA / OW, and it offers benefits you can't easily get elsewhere.

At the end of the day, regardless of what you spend and/or status, unless you're someone who has real commercial benefit to them at that given time, you're no-body, and if you stop flying, there will be someone else to take your place and so on.
mnhusker and AJNEDC like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by noob2022
BA is not the best, by far. I bring my own food and don't expect great service anymore. So maybe I'm just used to them?
Onboarding is always chaos. Flight from GLA or EDI always late. Bring my carry on so they don't lose my bag.
Lounges are filthy and crawling with rodents (well at Heathrow).
I book them prob 4 times a year.
For me it's convenience and price. I must go to either EDI or GLA (from LAX) and Business is usually 1K cheaper than other airlines... unless I'm missing something?
Just curious, since I'm once again (gulp ) ready to book another ticket with them.
I do moan a bit about BA and as a result I try and just book the cheapest business ticket whichever the airline. But what draws me back to BA a lot of the time is basically the location of terminal 5 as its much easier to get to from my home near junction 10 of the M25..
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
For as long as I have lurked, or participated, on FlyerTalk, there have always been a laundry list of complaints against BA. Checking other threads for airlines or hotel companies, BA is by no means unique in this regard.

There have been many instances over the years where BA have dropped the ball or taken measures that were unpopular.

But they still work for me and my flying pattern, and Im happy to keep flying them (even with the odd inevitable gripe).

If Scotland is your destination, well unfortunately GLA does not have the connectivity to the USA that it did pre-2020. However, options exist for you to get to EDI via New York on Delta or United if youd prefer to avoid BA.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by noob2022
We have online stores across the world (all digital downloads). When people leave reviews, 80% or more tend to be people who have had issues, a complaint or just can't get something working. The number of people who will make a comment than seek post-sale support is incredible. Most of the issues can be resolved easily, but they insist on leaving a comment.

Why? People only feel inclined to say something when something goes wrong. If you get on a regular CE flight, it takes off on time, lands on time, you get served well, there's zero reason to jump on a forum or make a comment. Most people will focus on their holiday or business trip.

It's pretty much the same with many brands. Look at Easyjet on TrustPilot: Easyjet Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.easyjet.com (trustpilot.com)

Or Lufthansa: Lufthansa Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.lufthansa.com
Or Emirates: Emirates Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.emirates.com
Or Etihad: Etihad Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.etihad.com (trustpilot.com)

All 2-star or lower. See the issue here?
adrianlondon and T8191 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
noob2022 I sometimes wonder myself. I'm in some Facebook and WhatsApp groups for BA frequent flyers as well and the tone in most of those is largely critical. However, I try to bear in mind that the members of these groups aren't representative of the majority of BA passengers flying 'down the back' (usually paying for their own tickets, I guess). Some will have their own complaints, of course, but don't all dash off to their keyboards to vent off.

Some of the threads I see on here and the other platforms remind me of the 'Calm down and get a hold of yourself!' scene in the first 'Airplane' movie
If you watch a YT video review that includes a CW flight with the 'old' seat you'll understand!

Well, I'm off to get prepared for my LHR-SOF B2B this week
noob2022 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: Varies
Quite simply, for me it's about the loyalty program. It works for me. It doesn't stop me discussing poor experiences, if they happen, and I see no reason why I shouldn't discuss them on forums like this. Or complain directly to the airline. It's my right to choose an airline based on my personal criteria and it's my right to praise it or complain about it if I want to.

Quite honestly I don't give a damn if others don't understand my choices. And there are so many other companies I deal with that can be pretty crap at times - but that doesn't mean I don't use them if I can get what I want or need from them.

I think it's a bit faux naive to say you don't understand why people fly an airline they're sometimes unhappy with. It's like any relationship : there are pros and cons, and we might complain at times, but our reasons for staying in that relationship don't have to be explained to others.
adrianlondon and RockyRobin like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
When flying with baby and wife - no connections - BA

When flying by myself - AF via CDG as I really like business and crews (and somehow I even like CDG)
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Executive Blue
I fly a lot less than most here on the forum, only about 4-5 times a year. As my main destination is Stuttgart (family there) I have the grand choice of BA or Eurowings. Major deciding factor is the price.
For Christmas this year BA wanted over 300 more than Eurowings, so an easy decision.
For my trip next month pricing was similar, but BA has an earlier outbound and a later return flight, giving me four extra hours with my family, which I'll happily take.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
See BA / BAEC as a stepping stone to a rich world of relative red-carpet treatment on vastly superior OneWorld carriers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.