Selectively rude service in CE?

Old Oct 27, 2023, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Selectively rude service in CE?

I had a strange experience recently, my other half and I were sat in row 1 in CE on an Avios booking from LCY. The cabin crew was lovely to everyone else, but super unfriendly to us.

He was great and proactive with everyone else, going around offering top ups and asking if anyone needed anything else. However, he completely ignored us outside of giving us the meal. When we asked for a top up of our drinks, he was pretty rude and said Im just serving other people now, youll need to wait please.

I also noticed that he poured large glasses of champagne and gave it to the another cabin crew who gave it to passengers in economy. Later in the flight when we asked for more, they had run out.

I asked for a water and he said give me 5 minutes and didnt return until about 10 minutes, when there was a large bottle of water clearly sitting in the galley.

Im aware that you should never have super high expectations for CE and that service / crew can wildly vary. But, this made us feel really uncomfortable because it was obvious he was friendly, helpful, and proactive to everyone elsebut cold and rude to us.

We were pretty confused, and wondering if we did anything wrong to offend him. I dont think there is anything we would have said or did, we simply got on the plane, sat down, and were nice and polite to him even before the service.

Im considering submitting a complaint to BA, what do you think about this situation? Has anyone experienced anything similar before?
the810 and ttama like this.

Last edited by LHR_93; Oct 27, 2023 at 2:58 am
Old Oct 27, 2023, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s a difficult one as only you can decide if you want to complain, personally I wouldn’t and would let it go.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:16 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by LHR_93
I had a strange experience recently, my other half and I were sat in row 1 in CE on an Avios booking from LCY. The cabin crew was lovely to everyone else, but super unfriendly to us.

He was great and proactive with everyone else, going around offering top ups and asking if anyone needed anything else. However, he completely ignored us outside of giving us the meal. When we asked for a top up of our drinks, he was pretty rude and said Im just serving other people now, youll need to wait please.

I also noticed that he poured large glasses of champagne and gave it to the another cabin crew who gave it to passengers in economy. Later in the flight when we asked for more, they had run out.

I asked for a water and he said give me 5 minutes and didnt return until about 10 minutes, when there was a large bottle of water clearly sitting in the galley.

Im aware that you should never have super high expectations for CE and that service / crew can wildly vary. But, this made us feel really uncomfortable because it was obvious he was friendly, helpful, and proactive to everyone elsebut cold and rude to us.

We were pretty confused, and wondering if we did anything wrong to offend him. I dont think there is anything we would have said or did, we simply got on the plane, sat down, and were nice and polite to him even before the service.

Im considering submitting a complaint to BA, what do you think about this situation? Has anyone experienced anything similar before?
Yes, I was treated very differently to my companion and to other passengers on a F flight. I did complain. I received a phone call from You First. I got the impression they were very interested in my experience. They asked some very relevant questions which made me think they were aware of certain issues that hadn't crossed my mind.

So yes, I think you should contact BA. They need to know. Even if it's a one-off, it should never have happened, and BA may have lost you as a customer. Give them a chance to make you feel more valued. In my case, although I'm unlikely to fly F again after such an unpleasant experience, I'm still a BA customer because of their service recovery.

Edited to add, of course you may not get as good a response as I received. In which case BA will have doubled down on your initial poor experience. So I kind of agree with the person who responded first, it depends on your tolerance level.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:20 am

Programs: BA executive club
Could there be some remarks in your personal EC data file leading to such behaviour? Did you complain a lot to BA? Did you post bad reviews about BA? Where you involved in a dispute wit BA crew recently?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trippelone
Could there be some remarks in your personal EC data file leading to such behaviour? Did you complain a lot to BA? Did you post bad reviews about BA? Where you involved in a dispute wit BA crew recently?
The crew would not be aware of anything like that.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, I would put in a complaint, the service you received was poor. Even if you aren't seeking compensation, I think it's important to raise issues like this, otherwise how will things ever improve.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:31 am

Programs: BA executive club
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The crew would not be aware of anything like that.
Thank you for the clarification. I always thought that the cabin crew had info about some passengers, e.g. about disruptive behaviour in the past.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They do get some information but not that specific.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:36 am

Programs: Some
Thank you for the clarification. I always thought that the cabin crew had info about some passengers, e.g. about disruptive behaviour in the past.
Even if they had this info, I am not sure it amounts to a justification for being unnecessarily rude to a passenger.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Even if they had this info, I am not sure it amounts to a justification for being unnecessarily rude to a passenger.
There is never a reason for being rude in fact a reason for being more careful.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Could there be some remarks in your personal EC data file leading to such behaviour? Did you complain a lot to BA? Did you post bad reviews about BA? Were you involved in a dispute with BA crew recently?
I dont think so, the only complaint Ive made in the past was about the AMS lounge closure, but in that complaint I made it clear I knew that wasnt BAs fault, but wanted to pass on my experience in the replacement makeshift lounge (way overcrowded, flies everywhere, etc). Ive never complained about crew or had any disputes, Ive been a loyal customer for years, but recently dropped from Gold to Silver.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:56 am

Programs: AA PLT
Sad to say, the first thing that came to mind reading this was this Two Ronnies sketch:
Old Oct 27, 2023, 4:05 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
When was this and which route was this?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I relate to this. I feel on BA it's often clear to the customer whether the cabin crew like you, ambivalent or outright take agin, I've never felt it so strong on other airlines. Luckily only once did a BA CC not like the cut of my jib, but boy did I feel it, the service was exactly as you describe. Shorthaul thank god.
the810 and Thomathy like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
When was this and which route was this?
Yesterday, LCY to EAS. I'll note that the flight was diverted to BIO due to weather, but our experience had nothing to do with that as the diversion only happened after 2 aborted landings at EAS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.