Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Traveling with a companion on a separate reservation

Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

Basic questions, I know. I am traveling MSY-LHR-AMS in J. My partner is on the same flights, but on a separate reservation. (We are traveling MSY-AMS together, but returning separately, so I had to book separate reservations.) I am OW emerald; she has no status. Can I book seats for her with me without having to pay for her (and do I need to phone BA to do so)? When we connect at LHR, assuming we exit the secured area and re-enter through the F wing, can I bring her with me?
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:30 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Blumie
Basic questions, I know. I am traveling MSY-LHR-AMS in J. My partner is on the same flights, but on a separate reservation. (We are traveling MSY-AMS together, but returning separately, so I had to book separate reservations.) I am OW emerald; she has no status. Can I book seats for her with me without having to pay for her (and do I need to phone BA to do so)? When we connect at LHR, assuming we exit the secured area and re-enter through the F wing, can I bring her with me?
Yes you can book her seat and it will need a phone call to the BA Gold line.

Yes if you head Landside you will both be able to enter through F Wing.

Im doing similar with my parents soon.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
And just to add, picking seats for her for free on a separate booking only applies when you are on the same flight and in the same cabin.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
And just to add, picking seats for her for free on a separate booking only applies when you are on the same flight and in the same cabin.
Thanks. I booked her on AA (AMS-PHL-CLT-MSY) on the return since she's not flying back with me and not flying on a day on which BA operates its LHR-MSY flight. Free seat selection (although I think that route has AA's lousy 788 J seats) and easier transiting PHL than LHR.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Done this a number of times with BA using Direct Message on Twitter, calling equally works. I've asked them to TCP (to complete party) the two bookings, they usually then link them in system and ask which seats I want and allocate them. I have found that the person travelling with me then has the same rights on their BP as mine - ie. Boarding group etc.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:58 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
and interestingly when my son did a TCP with a friend on the same flight, my son got an op-up, and his friend did as well so they remained seated next to each other in CE.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I had to call as the Twitter team point blank said for data protection they couldn't modify my sister in law's booking to sit with me.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by gcuk
and interestingly when my son did a TCP with a friend on the same flight, my son got an op-up, and his friend did as well so they remained seated next to each other in CE.
I've had the opposite experience. Phoned, TCP'd, booked seats together, then I've been op-uped at the gate.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So so far I've had two different BA phone agents tell me that I will have to pay for my partner's seat assignments unless we are on the same booking. First, I called what I believe is the main US phone number (+1-877-767-7970) and got directly through. The agent told me I would have to pay unless AA (through whom I booked) linked the two bookings. I then called the AA EXP line and was told that their system does not allow them to link reservations for a partner airline like they can do for aa flights. She did offer to transfer me directly back to BA to see if a different agent gave me a better answer, but he did not. Again, I was told there would be a fee unless the flights were on the same booking. I am now trying my luck messaging then on X (twitter).
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:48 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by gcuk
If I TCP me and my partner with my parents I wonder if it would reduce my chances of an OPUP
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
So so far I've had two different BA phone agents tell me that I will have to pay for my partner's seat assignments unless we are on the same booking. First, I called what I believe is the main US phone number (+1-877-767-7970) and got directly through. The agent told me I would have to pay unless AA (through whom I booked) linked the two bookings. I then called the AA EXP line and was told that their system does not allow them to link reservations for a partner airline like they can do for aa flights. She did offer to transfer me directly back to BA to see if a different agent gave me a better answer, but he did not. Again, I was told there would be a fee unless the flights were on the same booking. I am now trying my luck messaging then on X (twitter).
This is absolutely a thing and perfectly doable. The agent cannot do it there and then. Instead they message the "back office" team who make the seating assignment.
Hang up and call again. Explain you want to add a "To Complete Party" - known as a TCP to your booking. This will allow them to make a note in the booking notes which will be visible to anyone who looks and allows them to ask for the seat assignment. If rejected, ask them to double check their answer. Then ask them to check with a supervisor. Then ask to speak to the supervisor. Then ask for the supervisors supervisor. Repeat until someone who has worked there for more than 10 minutes answers the phone.

It is a sad thing to say that not only is staff knowledge at an all time low, but their supreme confidence in their lack of knowledge alienates genuine customers trying to do simple tasks that are perfectly possible. And this doesn't even begin to touch why the IT provision (bar some layout changes) is never updated with more "useful" functions.
Bellerina likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.