Runways 09L in use for take offs today!!

Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:35 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 2,468
Runways 09L in use for take offs today!!

I see that 09L is in use today despite the existence of the Cranford agreement preventing its use other than in exceptional circumstances.

Does anyone know what the exceptional circumstance is? I assume a problem with 09R at far end or Radar failure. It is very unusual such that I can recall being very excited when taking off from that runway in the early 1990's.

The Cranford agreement has been around since the 1950's and was designed to protect the good people of Cranford from the noise. It means that at 3pm when on easterlies they dont switch runways as they do when arriving on westerlies over London. It was due to be scrapped but like much at Heathrow never has been.
binman is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:41 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Posts: 5,864
There was / is a security incident which held us for a while and made them switch the runways according to our captain which delayed us 20 mins.

I am sat on the 285 to SFO. When we got to the revised runway things got worse as our plane broke so we took a nice ride back to the terminal and.now they are trying to figure out how to fix it. got a good view from 1A at men high high viz jackets scratching their heads.
wrp96, mikeyfly and SxMan like this.
CT-UK is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LHR Air Traffic Control
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 859
Back on 09R departures. There was an issue that prevented 09R departures for a period.
Heathrow Tower is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:48 am
  #4  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 63,075
There is/was some sort of incident around the back of Hilton Garden Inn Hatton Cross and the Eastern Perimeter - 11:40 hrs.
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:11 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, Babylon-on-Thames
Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by binman
I see that 09L is in use today despite the existence of the Cranford agreement preventing its use other than in exceptional circumstances.

Does anyone know what the exceptional circumstance is? I assume a problem with 09R at far end or Radar failure. It is very unusual such that I can recall being very excited when taking off from that runway in the early 1990's.

The Cranford agreement has been around since the 1950's and was designed to protect the good people of Cranford from the noise. It means that at 3pm when on easterlies they dont switch runways as they do when arriving on westerlies over London. It was due to be scrapped but like much at Heathrow never has been.
Cranford Agreement was scrapped by Geoff Hoon under Labour years ago. 09L isn't used for departures because there's not enough holding links and holding points as well as T5 domestic stands limiting the queue. It's just inefficient with the existing layout. Change will come with any third runway work.
skipness1E is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:14 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LHR Air Traffic Control
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 859
Any changes to enable 09L deps are not tied to R3.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Heathrow Tower is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:02 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,033
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Cranford Agreement was scrapped by Geoff Hoon under Labour years ago. 09L isn't used for departures because there's not enough holding links and holding points as well as T5 domestic stands limiting the queue. It's just inefficient with the existing layout. Change will come with any third runway work.
If its tied to the third runway, it may never happen.
flygirl68, wrp96 and skipness1E like this.
Waterhorse is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:38 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, Babylon-on-Thames
Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Any changes to enable 09L deps are not tied to R3.
Fair point, but the CapEx program to release the funds is (likely, surely) dependent on what that's going to look like? I phrased it badly, but the infrastructure changes will be part of a phased expansion in that area to accomodate runway 3 and are unlikely to process of their own accord any time soon?
skipness1E is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:45 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Posts: 4,098
I do love the complicated holding points at 27R/L and 09R, particularly as about half of my flights are heading up north back to EDI so we quite often get a little hop, skip and jump ahead of a long queue of long-haulers, most of whom are on departures to the West or South/East!
(UMLAT, I think...?)
Heathrow Tower and skipness1E like this.
crazy8534 is online now  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:48 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: BA GGL + GfL
Posts: 265
We landed on 27R earlier which felt unusual - Captain said it was a switch due to security incident on southern runway.

Last edited by BA_Pax; Oct 18, 2023 at 10:34 am
BA_Pax is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: clue is in the nym
Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 800
Report of a suspicious package at Hatton Cross Bus Station, apparently

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-...int_source=nba
southlondonphil is online now  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 1:17 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 243
Interestingly, they switched them about a month ago to cater for White Walthams members day show.
skipness1E likes this.
VictorSierra is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:01 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lincoln, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 1,248
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Report of a suspicious package at Hatton Cross Bus Station, apparently

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-...int_source=nba
I hate local news. This link is exactly why. A page of adverts and absolutely no information that cannot be gleaned from the headline.
HarryHolden68 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:48 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: BAEC GGL
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Report of a suspicious package at Hatton Cross Bus Station, apparently

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-...int_source=nba
Poor reporting, the incident wasn't at the bus station, busses didn't serve the station during the incident though.
revorgap is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:51 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mexico
Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,477
Was the suspicious package a BA Oneworld priority tagged bag coming off the plane first?

But asides that, quite interesting about the departure runway. I'd never really thought about that before and now cannot think of a time I've ever taken off from 09L.
TTmex is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.