Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA0369 - 17/10/23 - Rude entitled passengers

Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL

Sitting on the tarmac in Athens waiting to taxi.

Canít believe the general rudeness of passengers to the crew and attitude of entitlement.

Two people just grabbed a stewardess to ask why we were running late. Itís only 10 minutes after the scheduled departure time. She nicely explained it was wind at Heathrow and they started to say that the captain should have made an announcement. She said that he had and when they started to argue that they hadnít heard it my wife and I chipped in that he had indeed announced it.

People upset that they canít have their stuff with them in the exit rows. Complaining when bags get put on top of their jackets in the overheads. Trying to get out of seats when we are about to taxi etc.

Must drive the cabin crew crazy. Surely people have been on aircraft before and know exit row rules which multiple people have argued about.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Chevalier d'Honneur des Muccis
You would think that people knew how to use seatbelts too but according to the BA safety briefing that would appear not to be the case. Flying seems to bring out the worst in some people, or maybe that is their default state.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
I wonder what has triggered the general sense of dissatisfaction for this particular flight or whether it's just a coincidence that there were a few mouthy passengers in the same place at the same time? Sometimes it happens like this albeit very rarely in my experience.

I hope that the cabin crew member wasn't actually grabbed, rather that she was questioned in an unpleasant way?

Compare with the last flight MAN-LHR yesterday. Creeping delays, lounge closed and kicked us out, more delays, usual challenging boarding down the tiny corridor at MAN, more delays once boarded, took off 90 minutes late in the end, multiple passengers missing connections and some being delayed 24 hours. Final ignominy was gate 572 (I think), with a bus and a scenic tour of Heathrow, plus no apparent support at the terminal for any connecting passengers who needed hotels.

I didn't hear any complaints, passengers may have been frustrated but didn't show it. Maybe the OP was unlucky in this case.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by MrALIG

Must drive the cabin crew crazy. Surely people have been on aircraft before and know exit row rules which multiple people have argued about.
Itís probably for the best that I left when I did 🫣

I remember years ago on a delayed domestic flight, waiting to get back to LHR. I was walking the cabin, showing my face seeing if all okay. I was stopped now and then and asked for any more information, which there wasnít, and a couple of times the chats would move on to something else, there may be a bit of humour involved. When I got down to a certain gentleman he proceeded to, loudly, tell me off, for finding a delay funny and I should have more respect. 🤷‍♀️ Luckily it was water off a duckís back for me.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Rude passengers were just playthings to me. 🤪
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Could be worse, look into the AA forum about the responsible daddy they had on one of their flights...
flygirl68 and DASRTR like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:28 am

BA369 is from MRS, not from Athens?

That bit aside, yesterday evening I was sat on a flight from LIN, in my usual aisle seat, minding my own business, when the elderly man and lady who were sat in the middle and window seat arrived. I stood up to allow them to get in and the man (whom I refuse to call gentleman, for obvious reasons) opened the locker and told me "The locker is full of your clutter. Remove it".

I pointed at the space under my seat, where my backpack was stored, and simply told him "Look".
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Not sure that 'expecting to put your stuff in the locker above your seat' counts as entitled.

'Entitled' is a word too often used these days to stop people getting what they are rightly due. Which of these things, for example, counts as 'entitled'?

*not being happy that the airline doesn't load spare meals so those at the back get no choice?
*not being happy that you can be delayed for 3 hours with no compensation?
*not being happy when a flight is cancelled and the airline won't pay for a hotel better than a 3-star?
*not being happy, as happened to me today, when Virgin Atlantic swaps your Upper Class suite - which you deliberately booked - for a 330-300 coffin and doesn't even bother to notify passengers in advance?
*not being happy, as happened to me in August, when my unaccompanied minor daughter had her flight cancelled and was not booked on the next flight, or the next flight, but the flight after that, despite not only being an unaccompanied minor but having a Business Class ticket (which was downgraded, no compensation paid - yet) and Silver status?

I struggle to think of any other business where people can literally spend thousands of pounds and are expected to accept that they can be treated like dirt.
1P, Buster CT1K, Dave_C and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
My method with rude customers was to listen and nod occasionally and let them run out or steam.
I remember going to Boston and this man was ranting about something, when he finished I just ask if he was Boston, when he said yes I just said could he recommend a good restaurant for fish as it was my first time (obviously untrue), I think some of the other customers around were going to self combust.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
My method with rude customers was to listen and nod occasionally and let them run out or steam.
I remember going to Boston and this man was ranting about something, when he finished I just ask if he was Boston, when he said yes I just said could he recommend a good restaurant for fish as it was my first time (obviously untrue), I think some of the other customers around were going to self combust.
You have more patience than I do, after my last encounter with an entitled self important customer demanding to see the Captain, I have resolved that they can see me only after landing if they can be bothered to wait. I am not someone to whom they can rant just because they are angry about something, I have more important matters on my mind, like the telegraph crossword, which I fail to complete on a regular basis.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Raffles
*not being happy when a flight is cancelled and the airline won't pay for a hotel better than a 3-star?
This one is entitled behaviour. EC261 doesn't allow you to insist on a 4 star hotel, though as it happens BA will usually pay for such a hotel. But if BA insisted on Premier Inns then that would be entirely valid. And better than some alternatives.

Now I am taking one item from a longer narrative and I do want BA to do the right thing but equally passengers need to be reasonable.
JimEddie, halls120, HIDDY and 12 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:19 am

*not being happy, as happened to me in August, when my unaccompanied minor daughter had her flight cancelled and was not booked on the next flight, or the next flight, but the flight after that, despite not only being an unaccompanied minor but having a Business Class ticket (which was downgraded, no compensation paid - yet) and Silver status?...
BA doesn't provide an unaccompanied minor service, so she will not have been a UM.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:19 am

Not sure that 'expecting to put your stuff in the locker above your seat' counts as entitled.
In my case it was, because said person arrived last, assumed that I somehow brought in all the wheelie cases and jackets and so on, and then proceeded to command me to "remove my clutter". No please, no question as to whether it was all mine, no checks of the other lockers to see if they had space (which they did)... Or an apology once he realised that none of the stuff up there belonged to me.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Best comment ever from a flight attendant named Jeremy in South Africa some years ago.

The airline had not catered religious meals which is an issue and the passengers were understandably annoyed but given that we had taken off for our 14 hour flight to the US, there wasnít a lot that could be done. Jeremy did his best scrambling together food, but three passengers in particular made it personal towards Jeremy and were using the F word at him liberally.

Before I retired for the night I went to the galley and told Jeremy that I had been impressed with his efforts and restraint in the situation.

He thanked me and then told me he wanted to be a game ranger in his next life. When asked why, with a little smile, he said Ďbecause if the animals give you that much sh*t, you can shoot them and eat themí. 😀
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:53 am

That expectation is not in itself entitled, but expecting other people sitting in the same row to then remove *their* stuff certainly is!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.