Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has BA zeroed out LHR-FCO flights on Xmas Day (12/25)?

Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I'm hoping the following thread gets moved here because you pros have the best capacity to opine, but I'm wondering if there simply aren't any LHR-FCO flights on offer on 12/25 by BA or the Italian airline?

Flight cancelled - CX won't/can't re-book me on another flight - advice please!
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
BA is J0Y4 on only one(?) service with an A319 while the Italian LH is J6Y9.

Is that your question?
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Hi moondog

Welcome to the BA forum!
Given it is Christmas Day, there are less flights operating and sadly BA only have 1 direct LHR-FCO flight on Dec 25th which is currently full in Business. Your options are to request a downgrade to economy on the BA service (still a few seats left) or ask for a seat in Business on the ITA service from LHR at 16.55 - but with the flight so far away, it is doubtful CX or BA will do that. Those are the only. flights operating on Christmas Day from LHR, so either drop to Y for the last leg to be sure to get to Rome on the 25th, or travel on the 26th when J class with BA is available.

Pilot37
becks1 and moondog like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:01 am

Another unfortunate consequence of BA selling seats on flights it never had any intention of operating (which it does year after year).
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Hi moondog

Welcome to the BA forum!
Given it is Christmas Day, there are less flights operating and sadly BA only have 1 direct LHR-FCO flight on Dec 25th which is currently full in Business. Your options are to request a downgrade to economy on the BA service (still a few seats left) or ask for a seat in Business on the ITA service from LHR at 16.55 - but with the flight so far away, it is doubtful CX or BA will do that. Those are the only. flights operating on Christmas Day from LHR, so either drop to Y for the last leg to be sure to get to Rome on the 25th, or travel on the 26th when J class with BA is available.

Pilot37
Thank you for your welcome Pilot37 but, I actually do follow this forum (apparently #1 on FT in terms of views) on a regular basis.

For clarity, I am not planning on going to Rome for Xmas myself (I'll be at Disney World). The main reason I started this thread was to draw the attention of the other (CX forum) thread I mentioned in the OP to you guys.

On the one hand, this is a CX issue because they own the ticket and BA can't really change it. On the other hand, since BA is the operating carrier, it is on the hook to get that poster to Rome, and I'm pretty sure UK261 applies, as well.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 4:41 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by moondog
Thank you for your welcome Pilot37 but, I actually do follow this forum (apparently #1 on FT in terms of views) on a regular basis.

For clarity, I am not planning on going to Rome for Xmas myself (I'll be at Disney World). The main reason I started this thread was to draw the attention of the other (CX forum) thread I mentioned in the OP to you guys.

On the one hand, this is a CX issue because they own the ticket and BA can't really change it. On the other hand, since BA is the operating carrier, it is on the hook to get that poster to Rome, and I'm pretty sure UK261 applies, as well.
As the flight has been cancelled with more than 14 days notice why would UK261 apply? All the airline has to do is offer a refund or a re-route.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
A lot of European airlines kind of shut down on certain holidays.
To be clear - if/when the flight is cancelled, you can simply request to be moved to another day, if that suits you. No fee applies and you should do it now, rathe then wait, otherwise there might not be seats free.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SonTech
As the flight has been cancelled with more than 14 days notice why would UK261 apply? All the airline has to do is offer a refund or a re-route.
According some of the posts in the following thread, the customer has the legal right to specify desired reroute options.

Best strategy for flight on infrequent route cancelled 10 months out - with 241
Old Oct 14, 2023, 5:54 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SonTech
Because it's a cancellation under Article 5, it's UK261 that provides that the re-route must be offered. It's precisely why it applies.

BA will have to put up some reasonable alternative, and provide duty of care if an overnight becomes necessary, but with only two direct flights across all airlines their options are pretty limited.

CX own this ticket, so they need to act on behalf of the OP in the CX forum thread by talking to BA via the onwworld liaison desk if necessary.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by camdentown
This is simply not true, and certainly not of BA. They do reduce capacity on Christmas Day, but the idea that they kind of shut down is frankly rubbish.
argonath likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This is simply not true, and certainly not of BA. They do reduce capacity on Christmas Day, but the idea that they kind of shut down is frankly rubbish.
For BA , a large number of short haul flights don't operate on Christmas Day. Also long haul routes with multiple frequencies have a reduced number of flights on the day.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:19 am

For BA , a large number of short haul flights don't operate on Christmas Day. Also long haul routes with multiple frequencies have a reduced number of flights on the day.

Permit me to rephrase "kind of shut down" to "operate reduced services"
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:02 am

Semantics. The route in question is reduced from 7 to one daily service.
Misco60 and camdentown like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by camdentown
Yeah. I travelled last year on New Years Day. Surprisingly busy flight, but got the impression the crew really wanted minimum interaction. Day flight to JFK and they turned off the cabin lights as fast as they could and you didn't see them for ages after they'd cleared the meals! Expecting people to sleep on a day flight. Only good thing, got to JFK and zero people at immigration and the quickest cab ride into Brooklyn I've ever experienced!
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Semantics. The route in question is reduced from 7 to one daily service.
I think Romes one of the more extreme examples, lots of routes still have multiple frequencies even if significantly reduced.

My point was more that the airline does very much continue to operate and I was thinking in particular contrast to the train network, which does genuinely shut down.

Anyway, all OT
camdentown and mikeyfly like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.