Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why can't BA produce a decent cup of coffee?

Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Is it me or is the on board coffee in J just completely and utterly disgusting? It always tastes "off" and is literally the last thing in the world I want when waking up after a red-eye. Don't have this problem with Emirates or even AA and United. I usually like Union coffee so no idea why what BA produces on board always tastes so gross.
dcmike and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC
They use coffee bags on board, don’t they ?

You never get a decent cup of coffee from a bag…
Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Is it me
Not just you. On land, I'm exclusively a coffee drinker. At home, I have my own espresso machine and beans I use. I have never been a tea drinker (I know that should require me to surrender my British passport, but just never acquired a taste for the stuff).

However, on a BA plane, when I want a hot drink particularly on morning flights or during breakfast service, I always go for tea. The coffee onboard is vile.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Exactly
Revolting stuff, don't know what they do to it

It tastes like it's been made with the scrapings from the devil's jockstrap
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
It's a problem in most of Britain, I only ever have coffee at home, in trusted Italian places, or on the continent.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I assume this is in Club. The Union coffee blend served on board is a lot better than the previous supplier before 2018. It's a matter of taste, I like the BA coffee, but it has a distinct flavour to it that some won't like. There is the option, even in Club, to buy from CRU Kaf via High Life Caf, you would get a bigger amount of coffee that way.

background:
Union Street Coffee

Union Coffee comes to BA premier cabin and lounges
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:03 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
It was palatable when you could add a cognac to it, but it seems that's not always available
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc
Originally Posted by GM1985
Not just you. On land, I'm exclusively a coffee drinker. At home, I have my own espresso machine and beans I use. I have never been a tea drinker (I know that should require me to surrender my British passport, but just never acquired a taste for the stuff).

However, on a BA plane, when I want a hot drink particularly on morning flights or during breakfast service, I always go for tea. The coffee onboard is vile.
Growing up in Naples (ITA), my first encounter with a long coffee (I only knew espresso size up to that point) was as a 17 yo on my first BA flight to LGW, and my first response in my best school English was on the line of I asked for coffee, what is this dirty water? .

After that one experience, and having understood that long coffee was the only thing available on board, I have also only asked for black tea if in need of some caffeine on any aircraft, until my recent experience in First Class (nespresso machines should make it possible to have espresso in business /Club as well IMHO)
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't say I remember any of the coffee I've had no matter the airline tantalizing my taste buds.

PS. The coffee in Argentina is ruddy awful.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
Growing up in Naples (ITA), my first encounter with a long coffee (I only knew espresso size up to that point) was as a 17 yo on my first BA flight to LGW, and my first response in my best school English was on the line of I asked for coffee, what is this dirty water? .
With BA being your first experience of coffee outside Italy I'm surprised you didn't just jump on the first flight back and never dare leave the country again!
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:16 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Don't ask the nutrimatic or the airplane may explode. Oh, wait, that's tea...
Zzzap likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
BA is a British Airline. Tea is what they make - coffee is a distraction!
bafan, TRISTAR1979, greg5 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I assume this is in Club. The Union coffee blend served on board is a lot better than the previous supplier before 2018. It's a matter of taste, I like the BA coffee, but it has a distinct flavour to it that some won't like. There is the option, even in Club, to buy from CRU Kaf via High Life Caf, you would get a bigger amount of coffee that way.

background:
Union Street Coffee

Union Coffee comes to BA premier cabin and lounges
Depending on how long the flight is, and how amenable the crew are you can always ask for a sachet of Nescafe instant from the back. I know several crew members who always prefer that over the filtered bag variety.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SxMan
Depending on how long the flight is, and how amenable the crew are you can always ask for a sachet of Nescafe instant from the back. I know several crew members who always prefer that over the filtered bag variety.
Indeed (risk of getting the decaf version though!). But BA crew will be very happy to provide hot water (including in Traveller) so bringing one's own preferred coffee sachets may be the way to avoid disappointment.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
I maintain that with a little love, you can make a very good pot of coffee with the Union coffee bags. Unfortunately if placed in the brew drawer on brewers so equipped you get a very thin result. If brewed in the pot for the correct amount of time and given a good stir and a squeeze you get a drink very much like a decent French press coffee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.