FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   from domestic Turkish to international BA at SAW & IST (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2138136-domestic-turkish-international-ba-saw-ist.html)

michelledrage Oct 12, 2023 2:46 am

from domestic Turkish to international BA at SAW & IST

Hi all
Does anyone know if there is a seamless way of transferring with bags from domestic Turkish arriving at SAW or IST, to a BA flight to LHR, without having to exit arrivals and do check-in in the main departure hall?

Michelle

ISTFlyer Oct 12, 2023 3:23 am

Assuming that you are flying domestic -> international, Turkish Airlines would through check baggage on separate tickets to BA upon request so yes at both airports, you could avoid the chaos of picking your bags, rechecking them, etc...

Assuming that you have a boarding pass, at IST follow signs for international connections after you arrive and that would lead you to a dedicated passport control and transfer security checkpoint for domestic -> international flights. At SAW, there is also a dedicated international transfers path before arriving at the baggage claim hall but that is much more easier to miss. However, the landside path at SAW is much shorter than IST.

If you don't have a boarding pass at both airports, you would be not allowed to use the shortcuts and BA doesn't have a transfer desk at both airports regarding connecting passengers from domestic to international so if you don't have a boarding pass, even if your bags are checked through, you would need to go out at wait for the desks to open to receive your boarding pass.

Speedbird676 Oct 12, 2023 5:02 am

I never knew this

michelledrage Oct 12, 2023 11:46 am

Thats brilliant! Will they through check from any class of travel / ticket ?

ISTFlyer Oct 12, 2023 11:55 am

Originally Posted by michelledrage (Post 35658339)
Thats brilliant! Will they through check from any class of travel / ticket ?

Yes, correct

Greenpen Oct 12, 2023 12:48 pm

It’s only BA who won’t check bags through to your final destination (when on separate tickets). Others don’t find it a problem. Even different airlines and different tickets.

zen100 Oct 12, 2023 1:29 pm

A related question, but what is the baggage transfer like at SAW (International-to-international) - same ticket

Is 1hr 35m enough - assuming inbound is reasonabky on time, or is SAW one of those airports where you really need to leave a lot of time for your baggage?

The alternative is a 5hr layover - not great, but I really need my bags to make it.

etiene Oct 12, 2023 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen (Post 35658548)
It’s only BA who won’t check bags through to your final destination (when on separate tickets). Others don’t find it a problem. Even different airlines and different tickets.

No, it’s not.

ISTFlyer Oct 12, 2023 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by zen100 (Post 35658681)
A related question, but what is the baggage transfer like at SAW (International-to-international) - same ticket

Is 1hr 35m enough - assuming inbound is reasonabky on time, or is SAW one of those airports where you really need to leave a lot of time for your baggage?

The alternative is a 5hr layover - not great, but I really need my bags to make it.

Same ticket & 1h35min would be perfectly fine.
The international terminal at SAW is sized pretty small so you and your bag would make the connection.

steveggetit Oct 12, 2023 7:52 pm

simple enough to do at IST

our TK flight from AYT was delayed and I was sweating ...

At IST domestic arrivals exit right and take lift 1 floor to departures.

BA Desk is about 1/3rd way along on the right. a Good 5-10 mins from the Domestic Luggage Belt.

Then the God Awful lounge is further along on the Left and up one floor and is always rammed! This is the generic lounge not the good TK one!

BA Flights usually depart further down and then turn right.

A long walk from check in desk.

hope this helps

ISTFlyer Oct 13, 2023 1:29 am

Originally Posted by steveggetit (Post 35659543)
our TK flight from AYT was delayed and I was sweating ...

At IST domestic arrivals exit right and take lift 1 floor to departures.

BA Desk is about 1/3rd way along on the right. a Good 5-10 mins from the Domestic Luggage Belt.

Then the God Awful lounge is further along on the Left and up one floor and is always rammed! This is the generic lounge not the good TK one!

BA Flights usually depart further down and then turn right.

A long walk from check in desk.

hope this helps

Apparently you used the landside path as you need/preferred to stop at the check-in desk which adds an additional 15-20 minutes into the process.

Aston100 Dec 24, 2023 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 35657206)
Assuming that you are flying domestic -> international, Turkish Airlines would through check baggage on separate tickets to BA upon request so yes at both airports, you could avoid the chaos of picking your bags, rechecking them, etc...

I'm about to book a TK domestic flight from Nevsehir NAV to Istanbul IST.
Have a separate flight on BA to LHR departing at 18:45.
Am I safe to book the 15:40 - 17:10 TK flight on the basis that TK will definitely check my bags through to LHR? or should I go for the earlier 13:30 - 15:00 TK flight and hang around for 3 hours at IST?

Thanks.

TedToToe Dec 24, 2023 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Aston100 (Post 35847346)
Am I safe to book the 15:40 - 17:10 TK flight on the basis that TK will definitely check my bags through to LHR? or should I go for the earlier 13:30 - 15:00 TK flight and hang around for 3 hours at IST?

Thanks.

Personally, on separate bookings, I wouldn't but cutting it that fine, but I say that with only limited experience of transferring in Turkey. In my case it was International (BA) to domestic (TK) in DLM! I hope you enjoy Cappadocia, if that's the purpose of your visit.

ISTFlyer Dec 24, 2023 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Aston100 (Post 35847346)

Thanks.

If everything is on time yes, you would make to connection pretty easily.
This is also the case if you could check-in online for the BA flight as if you can't you would need to be at the desks by 17:45 to check-in which is doable if the NAV-IST flight is on time.

However, similar to the previous post, my risk tolerance wouldn't say a 1h35 connection on separate tickets would be reasonable if you would need to pay for walk-in tickets if you miss the BA flight. If you have travel insurance that would cover this situation, then the shorter connection would be OK.

Grace B Dec 25, 2023 1:49 am

It's not something I would contemplate. Yes, everything could go like clockwork, and all would be good. Unfortunately air transport in Turkey isn't always like that.

I was in Turkey a couple of months ago, flying LGW-DLM (overnight), DLM-SAW, SAW-AYT (several nights break), AYT-SAW (overnight), IST-AUH. None of the domestic flights were on time. Istanbul is a very congested airspace.

So, I'd give myself plenty of time to make my flights and enjoy(?) some sparkling wine in the lounge.