BA holiday double tier points not honoured

Old Oct 7, 2023, 2:55 am
  #1  
BGQ
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 3
BA holiday double tier points not honoured

I was awarded 210 bonus tier points after I booked BA holiday from 10th-16th July 2022. My year end is 9th August and the points were awarded on the 18th August at the start of my new year. At the time points seem to be awarded about 30 days after travel.

I was confident I had retained silver status as my account had 780 tier points by the year end August 2023.

I have since been downgraded to bronze and customer services say they made an error awarding the points to the following year and they are now invalid. My actual balance was only 570, had I been aware of this I would could have made up the extra 30 points with another flight but now its too late. Has anyone else had this issue?
BGQ is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:00 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 12,058
Challenge this. Posting date shouldn’t matter, it’s the flown date that does. These points should all sit in the YE 08/08/23
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:09 am
  #3  
BGQ
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 3
I have been challenging it for a week now with numerous calls and emails to a very unhelpful customer services team. The standard tier points did get awarded to July 2022 year and dates of travel but the bonus was paid into the new term in August which misled me:
BGQ is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:11 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Posts: 255
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Challenge this. Posting date shouldnt matter, its the flown date that does. These points should all sit in the YE 08/08/23
I think the facts are different here. The trip was in July 2022, and therefore the 210 TPs for that trip should have applied to the 9 Aug 2021- 8 Aug 2022 year.

The delayed posting in August 2022 however appears to have caused these TPs to be counted towards the 9 August 2022 - 8 August 2023 year. The pax then earned 570 TPs on flights in the 2022-2023 year. Only these 570 TPs should count towards the status qualification at the end of August 2023, however he was under the impression (caused by BA IT) that he had 780 TPs and hence had met the Silver threshold.

Based on the rules of the program, BA are right and you have no recourse.
However, if you have screenshots or other evidence showing the incorrect 780 TP total, then you may be able to argue that the system misled you and they may consider reinstating Silver as a goodwill gesture.

Last edited by flyingnomad; Oct 7, 2023 at 3:17 am
flyingnomad is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:13 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 12,058
Apologies I did not notice 2022
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:41 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 2,256
Edit: welcome to flyertalk by the way. FYI In your first day you are restricted to 5 posts. There are lots of helpful people on the board who have great experience with the double tp offer.

The original poster seems to have been unlucky here, looking at the double tier points thread we can see examples of cross year double tp bonuses which have posted after year end and counted for qualification in the past and there are always rumours of other anomalies, although the system seems more tightly calculated these days. I'd agree if the OP has a screenshot showing a higher total they might be OK especially as they were on 570 anyway. I tend to take screenshots when I requalify just in case BA's IT fails but not heard of this problem before, we have had some reports that bonus tps have not quite registered the same as normal tps for some people leading to issues at year end with incorrectly applied status downgrades.
firstlight is offline  
Old Oct 7, 2023, 4:06 am
  #7  
BGQ
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 3
Thank you for the welcome, I will check out those posts. I believed there would be some form of goodwill but they denied it had happened until I sent though the screen grabs and monthly emails showing I had reached silver status over two months before the end of the year. They now admit they have mislead me but are not willing budge. It's shame as I was so close without the bonus and I had no reason to question their calculations.
BGQ is offline  
Old Oct 8, 2023, 12:15 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by BGQ
Thank you for the welcome, I will check out those posts. I believed there would be some form of goodwill but they denied it had happened until I sent though the screen grabs and monthly emails showing I had reached silver status over two months before the end of the year. They now admit they have mislead me but are not willing budge. It's shame as I was so close without the bonus and I had no reason to question their calculations.
Dorowilson is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2023, 10:12 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 5
This has just happened to us too, the double BA holiday points posted after the previous year end, we understood we were going to maintain our silver membership this year, our account even shows our tier points which include the BA holiday points being reset and deducted on 8th August 2023. I completely understand if they should have been added to previous the year but they were not, nor was this rectified throughout this year and our points total showed we had enough to maintain silver. Very disappointed with BA, it just adds to the customer service issues we had this past year - twice we were left stranded at Heathrow late at night due to flight cancellations, where no hotel vouchers were left and we were told to find our own accommodation, which led on one occasion having to sleep in the terminal!
Wishuwerethere is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2023, 1:51 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Programs: BA
Posts: 1,387
I thought double tier points only awarded on 7day plus holiday bookings?
malkie is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:25 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK. West Sussex
Programs: BAEC. Gold
Posts: 786
When I was doing a few last year, it was 5 nights or more for the bonus TP

Has it changed?
Fatdickie is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:37 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
When I was doing a few last year, it was 5 nights or more for the bonus TP

Has it changed?
There was a period that it was 5 nights for holidays booked last year. Check terms and conditions at the time of booking.
Wishuwerethere is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:45 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Posts: 4,085
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
When I was doing a few last year, it was 5 nights or more for the bonus TP

Has it changed?
No, it’s exactly as you say.

Originally Posted by Wishuwerethere
There was a period that it was 5 nights for holidays booked last year. Check terms and conditions at the time of booking.
ex-UK it was always 5 nights or more. ex-USA it was always the whole duration of the trip.

Sorry to hear of your trouble, OP, I can see how that would be extremely annoying, particularly when the TPs had appeared credited to your new year for the whole of that year. As stated above, however, it is technically correct that they will credit to the preceding year and so I don’t think BA are under any obligation to honour the status you believed you had retained, other than perhaps as a gesture of goodwill.

I think this is the key condition, referring to being added/updated to the “initial transaction”:

4. Standard Tier Points for the flight elements will be awarded in line with regular awarding timelines after completion of the flight returning to the UK which is part of a Qualifying Booking. The initial transaction will be updated when the additional Tier Points due as a result of this promotion are added to the standard Tier Points, within 14 working days of the return flight which is part of a Qualifying Booking.
crazy8534 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.