Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Drinking a bottle of duty free spirits on a BA flight

Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I am a regular lurker here for info but joined specifically to post my query today. I would appreciate your thoughts. I flew in from Marrakesh to LHR this week in economy. The passenger beside us just over the aisle ( tall and muscly chap) started drinking from the neck of his bottle of duty free spirit still in its duty free bag while we were on the stand . He was doing this quite openly. I found this a bit worrying as I have in the past had the unfortunate experience of being on another airline where a drunk passenger pestered my female neighbour and then got aggressive with cabin crew who intervened. I tried to get the crew's attention before take off but they were chatting at the back. The seat belt sign then got switched on . In the end I pressed my bell. Still no action. After the plane had taken off, made its ascent and the sign was off a crew member came to see me and the I quietly alerted him to what was going beside us. He went off and then came back and said that due to a change in BA policy from 'last week' they would not intervene in situations like this unless there was immediate danger. He said this very loudly - so the person heard - despite me asking him to talk quietly. He then left and the chap finished the whole bottle, changed his seat to the window and lay down asleep ) or passed out ). I was really anxious for the whole flight and surprised that BA would allow such a thing.
Sealink likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I'm pretty sure you can drink your own booze on BA but it would be unlawful to be drunk. Happy to be corrected!
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Blimey. You’d best not sit in CE where, if you’re lucky and get a good crew, BA will get you drunk for free, with no need to resort to your duty free…

But, seriously, if they were drunk, then hopefully the crew would be keeping an eye on them.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Although youre a self acknowledged lurker, welcome to FT rural. one
crazy8534 and wk989 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:11 am

BA policy is different from that of several other airlines, and does permit customers to consume their own alcohol on board. They will only stop it if behaviour becomes inappropriate as a result. There are remarkably few issues, particularly in comparison with certain flights on other airlines, and fear of something potentially happening (which from your story didn’t come to fruition) is not reason to change it for everyone.

As noted above, there are plenty of BA flights where customers up front consume as much as this guy did, often after doing similarly in the lounge before getting onboard, and we don’t have regular threads where they then caused problems.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:18 am
GLA

Programs: BA VS
If he is alcohol dependent then better that he keeps drinking than go in to the DTs!
chris63, AADFW, bbriscoe34 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
I understand youve had a bad experience previously, but you really need to try to avoid the non-distruptive behaviour of others making you anxious.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
he had a drink and feel asleep....whats the problem?
asnovici, chris63, AADFW and 12 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:33 am

It is allowed to drink your own booze on BA. I have purchased a bottle of chilled F&M champagne for an econ flight to one of the Greek islands. One of the crew took pity on our dilemma of having to drink champagne from plastics and kindly delivered some glassware from club.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:45 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rural. one
He said this very loudly - so the person heard - despite me asking him to talk quietly.
I was really anxious for the whole flight and surprised that BA would allow such a thing.
Welcome to FT and thanks for posting something that will get a lot of people talking.
My opinion here is that you got a great crew.
They have managed your anxiety by talking to you and explaining. And they have potentially headed off any issue by speaking loudly and effectively warning the imbiber that they will be in trouble if they set a foot out of line.
This is all very British and wouldn't be effective on a US carrier.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by Confus
BA policy is different from that of several other airlines, and does permit customers to consume their own alcohol on board
Worth noting that BA Cityflyer has its own policy, and customers may not consume their own alcohol. Cans and bottles must remain sealed.
DeathSlam, nick585, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Welcome to FT and thanks for posting something that will get a lot of people talking.
My opinion here is that you got a great crew.
They have managed your anxiety by talking to you and explaining. And they have potentially headed off any issue by speaking loudly and effectively warning the imbiber that they will be in trouble if they set a foot out of line.
This is all very British and wouldn't be effective on a US carrier.
It's funny that island cultures evolve some parallel habits. In Japan although the exact details of how this would play out are different, they still work to defuse situations like this always in a highly indirect way. There are a lot of parallels in this respect.
DeathSlam, becks1 and rural. one like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by bafan
Blimey. Youd best not sit in CE where, if youre lucky and get a good crew, BA will get you drunk for free, with no need to resort to your duty free

But, seriously, if they were drunk, then hopefully the crew would be keeping an eye on them.
And if Ba dont get FT folk drunk in CE, the question will be asked on here (you can be sure of it) about the compensation in Avios for not doing so!
bafan, the810, bbriscoe34 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by DXB2745
And if Ba dont get FT folk drunk in CE, the question will be asked on here (you can be sure of it) about the compensation in Avios for not doing so!
BA never get anyone drunk. There are simply various degrees of tipsy 😁😁 (hick .)
trooper, bafan, Fruitcake and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by EJetter
Worth noting that BA Cityflyer has its own policy, and customers may not consume their own alcohol. Cans and bottles must remain sealed.
I am not commenting on the rights or wrongs of the BA Mainline policy but it does seem idiotic that BA Cityflyer has a different policy?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.