What to buy cabin crew on your flight

Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, IHG, AA,
What to buy cabin crew on your flight

I always buy the cabin crew a couple of boxes of chocolate's from duty free when on long haul, its a nice treat for those great cabin crew staff,

my question is do you think chocolates is the right gift to give, if not what would you recommend.

Rob
Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:33 am

🍿

This should be wild
Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Some top tips here Gifts for Flight Attendants - FlyerTalk Forums

Tends to be a lively discussion !
orbitmic and KARFA like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by N181DN
I always buy the cabin crew a couple of boxes of chocolate's from duty free when on long haul, its a nice treat for those great cabin crew staff,

my question is do you think chocolates is the right gift to give, if not what would you recommend.

Rob
Thank you for your kind thought but its not something that we do in the UK.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Just dont do it: it isnt appropriate in the UK.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:59 am

A thank you is sufficient - unless its a gold Rolex
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
How about simply being nice, polite, reasonable and discreet throughout your flight? I’m sure that will be much appreciated.

I have no doubt that your intentions are honourable, but I just think that the idea risks being counter-productive. Cabin crew are not our friends, partners, nieces, teachers, or neighbours and there is really no reason to offer them gifts which may well come across as awkward and creepy even if it is not the intention.

And if you really, really want to offer them something, please make sure you offer it after the flight and not earlier, or else that will come across in a very wrong way, as an attempt to get favours beyond what can and should be expected and will not be nice at all.

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 5, 2023 at 12:16 pm
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
A thank you is sufficient - unless its a gold Rolex
You have changed, a Casio used be enough for you. 😂
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:11 am

I'm from the school of thought of "live and let live." I've no qualms with anyone showing generosity towards FAs in the UK or otherwise, but out curiosity, did this practice just start out of your own volition? Did you read it from an article or social media as something good to do?

Again, not any criticism or judgement here but just interested to know the origins of your kindness.
ttama and flyingcrooked like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You have changed, a Casio used be enough for you. 😂
I dont wear a watch anymore - cant remember how those dials work, ancient tech is only good if its gold
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's not something I would personally do.

I can just about see a reason to do something like this if you were flying on Christmas or New Year's Eve, to recognise the fact that crew are spending that time away from home. But I haven't yet been in the position to determine whether I would actually follow through on that.

My philosophy is a better way to 'treat' cabin crew is to be kind, polite and (time permitting, and they are open to it) a bit of chat and banter at quieter times of the flight.
ttama, becks1 and AJNEDC like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Pack your manners, board with a smile, thank them at the end of the flight and if you feel you want to submit a thank you do it via ba.com

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...er_compliments
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
Gifts not necessary.
However, what can go a long way….Smile. Be courteous. Use your manners. Don’t cause a fuss. You can ask them how their day/trip is going, etc.
Then, at the end of the trip submit a note to the airline praising them. All of those emails sent in to the airline that praise the FA’s are kept and forwarded to the FA. They go in their file as well.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

For the scenario you describe, nothing is better than a box of chocolates.

And for that reason, I would strongly recommend nothing.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
A bag filled with cash in nonsequential orders.
Genius1, Zeeb, DASRTR and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.