F extra baggage

Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver / OWS
F extra baggage

Flying home on October 07th DFW to LHR in F then to MAN in J.
Bag allowance is three at 32kgs. I have paid 130 for an extra bag totalling four checked. What I don't know is will this bag be allowed to weigh up to 32 kgs or is it restricted to the standard 23 kgs? My receipt doesn't specify! Does anyone know? Thanks allot! Andrew
Old Oct 3, 2023, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Ands1977
Bag allowance is three at 32kgs. I have paid 130 for an extra bag totalling four checked. What I don't know is will this bag be allowed to weigh up to 32 kgs or is it restricted to the standard 23 kgs? My receipt doesn't specify! Does anyone know? Thanks allot! Andrew
You're paying for an additional piece of baggage. By virtue of your class of travel this is maxed to 32kg. A passenger in Economy/Premium would pay the same amount for an extra piece and be capped at 23kg because of their class of travel. Hope all makes good sense 👍
Ands1977 and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
An extra bag would be of a standard allowance (23 kg). Overweight baggage is paid for in addition to the extra bag charge.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
BA have a handy little baggage calculator, which gives the following results - looks unambiguously like 32KG to me!

(Note that I reversed your route to get the quote in GBP, it would otherwise quote 170 USD)

Ands1977 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Ands1977
Do you have any status with BA or other OneWorld airline?
Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You're paying for an additional piece of baggage. By virtue of your class of travel this is maxed to 32kg. A passenger in Economy/Premium would pay the same amount for an extra piece and be capped at 23kg because of their class of travel. Hope all makes good sense 👍
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
BA have a handy little baggage calculator, which gives the following results - looks unambiguously like 32KG to me!

(Note that I reversed your route to get the quote in GBP, it would otherwise quote 170 USD)

Originally Posted by Nick_USA
Do you have any status with BA or other OneWorld airline?
Thanks so much!!! Your replies make perfect sense to me!
I'll use this tool to show them if they query it.
This booking will take me to just shy of silver.
Nick_USA likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Hopefully you should have no issues.

Although I've never personally faced this problem, I understand that the standard advice if you come across a particularly obstinate agent who refuses to budge is to be pragmatic, pay the overweight baggage fee and subsequently reclaim that from BA.

I imagine Nick_USA was asking about status because Silver & upwards get the 32Kg limit in any cabin where the fare includes a baggage allowance, which would have rendered the question moot.
Ands1977 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:43 am

I assume you are asking this question because all four bags will be over 23kg

Otherwise, you could just present the lightest bag as being the "extra" one, and the 3 heavy bags as your standard allowance

That's some achievement to get 4 bags over 23kg
Old Oct 3, 2023, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zen100
I assume you are asking this question because all four bags will be over 23kg

Otherwise, you could just present the lightest bag as being the "extra" one, and the 3 heavy bags as your standard allowance

That's some achievement to get 4 bags over 23kg
Yeah, all four are over 23kgs! Blame Walmart and Target hahah!!
BertieBadger and zen100 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Hmmm, I just checked allowance for a CE flight using the calculator and it does say that an extra bag can be up to 32kg. However, the calculator contradicts what is listed in the e-ticket. The e-ticket says that the extra bag can be up to 23kg and then lists the heavy bag charge. I just checked a few premium classes e-tickets and they all say that extra bags are max. 23kg and each heavy bag will incur an extra charge. Not sure now whether to believe the calculator or the e-ticket (the agent is probably going to rely on the ticket?).
Ands1977 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
FLY will display to the agent that your allowance is 4 pieces. Wont show anything else. Nothing to worry about.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: BA
Make sure the bags are up to the task of of holding up to 32 kg and being tossed around...32kg of luggage is not light.
strowger and Ands1977 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by testycal
Make sure the bags are up to the task of of holding up to 32 kg and being tossed around...32kg of luggage is not light.
And also that the travellers are up to the job of hefting the thing onto the belt!
Ands1977 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:15 pm

Technically speaking the allowance is always 23kg, but the heavy bag charge (for up to 32) is waived for those in Club or First. Usually this is a moot point for semantic pedants as the net effect is a higher allowance, but its important here because it means that the higher allowance will carry through with the XSBP.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by testycal
I have American Tourister bags. They are super sturdy!
testycal likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.