Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IBERIA / BA Hand luggage only with O/W Emerald - confused!

Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Hi All

Have read lots on here and across the we but cannot get to the bottom of it and so far have had 3 conflicting responses from BA / IB / FB Forums

I booked an IB flight via IB website MAN-MAD , i was under the impression that i got a free hold bag being O/W Emerald and that only BA hang baggage only flights were exempt from the rule.

The flight was changed to a day earlier so i was rebooked MAN-LHR-MAD mixed Ba then IB metal. So now i will assume that i dont get any bags and have to pay (but theres no option via BA or IB site to pay for bags!)

What exactly is the rule? , IB bookings get bags regardless of who operates or ONLY IB Metal flights get extra allowange?

I booked all flights with IB through their websire with IB flight numbers and looks like im gonna have to fork out for baggage on them all as each boooking has a ba metal segment?

Other people on differnet FB groups say iberia metal hand bag only bookings still dont get an allowange but it clearly states 0 to 1 bags on the website unger oneword rules

Hopefully someone can clarify as i think paying prior to the airport is cheaper but then dont want to pay if i dont need to as its a total of 5 so could be a few across them all.

Thanks in Advance!
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am not completely familiar with IB HBO rules, but on BA, even if you are Emerald, you do not get any baggage on a HBO fare. So de-link your status with the fare for HBO in terms of baggage. Seat selection, check in etc is all in accordance with status but not baggage.

aks120
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by deerhunter290378
Hi All

Hopefully someone can clarify as i think paying prior to the airport is cheaper but then dont want to pay if i dont need to as its a total of 5 so could be a few across them all.

Thanks in Advance!
A total of 5 bags? Or 5 passengers?
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
A total of 5 bags? Or 5 passengers?
Sorry 5 separate bookings so just looking for 1 bag allowance
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Maybe read here

Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
IB HBO fares give to OW Emerald/Sapphire members 1 checked bag. It applies only to status members, not companions without status on the same booking.
I have no idea how this plays on a rebooking with BA as first flight.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Facebook is a terrible place for reliable information.

IB metal only for the free checked bag. Because you now have a BA metal flight, especially as the first leg, you might have to pay.

However, because BA/IB (AFAIK) does not sell a HBO fare on the connecting flights, you might have been rebooked into "Plus" anyhow.
Lefly likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
IB HBO fares give to OW Emerald/Sapphire members 1 checked bag. It applies only to status members, not companions without status on the same booking.
I have no idea how this plays on a rebooking with BA as first flight.
Ok So because i booked with IB on their site ill get the allowance regardless of who is operating the flight(s)?

There are 2 of us on the bookings one sapphire one emerald so both have status
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Facebook is a terrible place for reliable information.

IB metal only for the free checked bag. Because you now have a BA metal flight, especially as the first leg, you might have to pay.

However, because BA/IB (AFAIK) does not sell a HBO fare on the connecting flights, you might have been rebooked into "Plus" anyhow.
IB Deffinately sell HBO on the connecting flights thats what i booked

example of HBO Fare split IB and BA and sold by IB directly , this is what is so confusing?

https://www.google.co.uk/travel/flig...0SAggBIgAqAggD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.