Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Possible live help - CX'd BA227 - trying to get spouse on something

Possible live help - CX'd BA227 - trying to get spouse on something

Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnhusker
Can you look in the BA app and see what it has given her?
Good thought - I logged onto her account in the app - it's simply suggesting the same flight tomorrow. So nothing actually offered yet.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
So - before she hits a wall - we all know that BA should rebook on UA, Delta, etc if can't get her there on a OW carrier.

What exactly is the terminology she should tell CS if they 'refuse' that option? And is it within her rights to have another carrier tonight over a OW option tomorrow?
If she can speak to someone at the airport, this will be significantly easier. The agent will call ARC ticketing and this team does use other IATA airlines as standard, following a template much like the one CWS proposed (AJB first, then others as necessary). Their mantra is to get people moving as soon as reasonably practical. Call centre staff can be harder to persuade as they havent been trained the same way and occasionally need prompting. Officially theyre within their rights to ask you to speak to someone in the airport (IATA 735d only applies at airports), though thankfully most know enough to find a solution anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Politely remind them that under her UK/EU 261 rights and also IATA 735d it is the responsibility of the original carrier to rebook via an agreeable alternate route requested or agreed by the passenger, as long as fares/seats remain available on those alternatives. Then ask the staff for a copy of her rights as it is a legal requirement for BA to produce them when requested by the traveller.
without trying to derail the thread (please ignore till OP has got a resolution or MODS delete if this is answered elsewhere) does this only apply for UK/EU flights? I tried quoting this right (but not knowing about the IATA bit) on a cancelled VA DPS-MEL flight where I tried to get them to move us onto a Qantas flight but got no where and ended up spending another 24 hours in Bali waiting for the next Virgin departure that had space. Ordinarily not a bad thing but was a pain then travelling overnight to MEL and arriving on Christmas Eve.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Bubbles09
without trying to derail the thread (please ignore till OP has got a resolution or MODS delete if this is answered elsewhere) does this only apply for UK/EU flights? I tried quoting this right (but not knowing about the IATA bit) on a cancelled VA DPS-MEL flight where I tried to get them to move us onto a Qantas flight but got no where and ended up spending another 24 hours in Bali waiting for the next Virgin departure that had space. Ordinarily not a bad thing but was a pain then travelling overnight to MEL and arriving on Christmas Eve.
IATA would apply for VA / Qantas etc out of Bali, EC261 probably not, depending on the details. But I think it's fairly fruitless doing the "I know my rights" number with airport or contact centre staff. The nearest I would deploy is if VA would not allow Qantas, ask the agent to put a note on your PNR to say that you had requested that transfer. Now an agent probably would also not want to be told how to do their job, but it would still be something you could rely upon when complaining or recovering losses. Broadly though, only a few places in the world have decent protection for air passengers - Europe, Canada, Turkey, Israel, Brazil as things stand, with some protections for USA passengers.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:54 am
Original Poster

So she got to front of the queue. Was told they’re not rebooking, they’re just giving out vouchers. There are no ticketing agents at the airport.

Then she go thru on the phone to be told his system had crashed & he couldn’t help her.

What a total shambles. .
ttama and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG
There are no ticketing agents at the airport.
No "ticketing agents" at LHR, at 6pm? Sounds like a load of crap.
BearX220, PAL62V, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:59 am
Original Poster

So she has decided to take tomorrow's 227 but can't handle trying to find a hotel ("you need to find something, our systems are crashing") So she is taking a 80 cab fare back home, then the same tomorrow to LHR.

My assumption is that those fares will be claimable as well as EC261 for this mess. Plus the lost day's car hire and a hotel room that has been paid for.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plas
We are honestly both fed up and totally over BA. This is something like the 6th or 7th cancellation we have had since January. Apart from one or two occasions, there has been little to no help. It's a 'can't care less' attitude.

If this is EC261, then I am currently waiting for around 1400 worth of compensation.
ttama, AAtticus and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC Ennui 50K BA Gold EIL Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by plas
Ticketing teams were moved away from LHR a few years ago (terrible decision).

However, the desks at Heathrow can call Ticketing an on internal line. This happens constantly. I am 99.99% sure, willing to be corrected, that BAs ticketing teams worldwide do not stop at 6pm.

Awful.

Perhaps try calling a European BA number, might be wrong but they may be able to help and are likely to pick up.
wrp96, Coffeemadman and plas like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boreas
Ticketing teams were moved away from LHR a few years ago (terrible decision).

However, the desks at Heathrow can call Ticketing an on internal line. This happens constantly. I am 99.99% sure, willing to be corrected, that BAs ticketing teams worldwide do not stop at 6pm.

Awful.

Perhaps try calling a European BA number, might be wrong but they may be able to help and are likely to pick up.
youre correct. I was helped this way just a week ago.

She is too stressed and tired to try anything more. Just gonna come home and try again tomorrow.
ttama likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC Ennui 50K BA Gold EIL Carte Blanche
youre correct. I was helped this way just a week ago.

She is too stressed and tired to try anything more. Just gonna come home and try again tomorrow.
Really sorry to hear that. Hope it works out smoothly tomorrow.
PAL62V and ttama like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:19 pm

So she got to front of the queue. Was told theyre not rebooking, theyre just giving out vouchers. There are no ticketing agents at the airport.

Then she go thru on the phone to be told his system had crashed & he couldnt help her.

What a total shambles. .
Very poor show from BA on this one. Good luck tomorrow.
PAL62V, wrp96, ttama and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

So much for them trying to get you away asap. They have not even tried. Im not sure if she got to mentioning the regs at the guy as he clearly was not able/willing to speak with ticketing.

Is this really a thing?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So she has decided to take tomorrow's 227 but can't handle trying to find a hotel ("you need to find something, our systems are crashing") So she is taking a 80 cab fare back home, then the same tomorrow to LHR.

My assumption is that those fares will be claimable as well as EC261 for this mess. Plus the lost day's car hire and a hotel room that has been paid for.
They will have to pay the taxi fare and EC261 (depending on the cause, but I imagine it is claimable). They typically won't pay the hotel / car costs in USA as that's "consequential", so one for travel insurance. That's open to dispute since the Montral Convention suggests otherwise, but it's hard to get MC99 enforced. However if you were willing to send this to MCOL on the basis that they were not rebooking people for travel today, well, it would be interesting to see what BA would reply. But claim for everything when she has completed her travel and then revert to the EC261 thread.

Normally the airport teams will connect you with ARC to get rebooked, however if there are hundreds of people looking for travel then the system really can't cope and the order goes out to "ring the contact centre". Otherwise those who need vouchers won't get them, it can easily take 15 minutes per rebooking and you can do the maths.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Last week I missed 2 connections. One at PHL and one at LHR. PHL experience: walking into admirals club, AA agent quickly asked me which flight I want, I told her the one I wanted. She then rebook me straight away, giving me a food voucher and a hotel voucher. She then make a quick call and told me to go to a specific place to wait for the shuttle bus to the hotel. All done in 15 minutes. LHR experience: connections T5, the next flight is in 1:30 minutes to NY. Agent is unable to rebook me and she takes out some A4 papers with codes. She tried a few times until someone with a silver tie is getting involved oh no you use this code, no no this one first then then this. 30 minutes has passed and I am asking if I am going to catch the flight. Suddenly a third guy appears (silver tie again) and he told both of them that they are doing it all wrong and he spends about 10 minutes. He then print off my ticket. Pathetic. I almost missed my flight. Premium airline with ULCC customer service. By the way it was a straight rebooking from a BA flight to another one.
wrp96, Firstboss and HarbourGent like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.