Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Likelihood of getting on an earlier flight at LHR - Avios booking

Likelihood of getting on an earlier flight at LHR - Avios booking

Old Sep 21, 2023, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Lightbulb Likelihood of getting on an earlier flight at LHR - Avios booking

Dear all,

Just wondering if there is any chance at all to get on an earlier service from LHR T5 to the same destination (2 hours earlier)? Avios booking, and there is no Avios availability on the earlier service.
We will be at T5 anyway, just wondering if it's even worth asking. If not possible, I'm sure the CCR bubbles will keep us entertained for a couple of additional hours anyway.

Thank you!
Old Sep 21, 2023, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I've had luck a few times on domestics. Always HBO. And often I suspect it's benefitting the airline. I've also been told no a few times
Old Sep 21, 2023, 4:39 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
The Customer Service desk will call ticketing. It is definitely worth asking.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I've had luck a few times on domestics. Always HBO. And often I suspect it's benefitting the airline. I've also been told no a few times
Thanks for your feedback, we will be HBO too, although it's an AMS flight so not a domestic one.

Most benefit for the airline here would be saving 2 bottles of LPGS I guess, and a handful of macaroons. LOL
surryson and oceanscape like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K(until 2024), MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This sort of thing can be hugely beneficial to the airline, especially if there are misconnects piling up. Getting as many people as possible through as quickly as possible frees up space for later in the day. But it does require strong and flexible IT.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GFL / Marriott TFL Amb
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This sort of thing can be hugely beneficial to the airline, especially if there are misconnects piling up. Getting as many people as possible through as quickly as possible frees up space for later in the day. But it does require strong and flexible IT.
that rules out BA then
tattikat2, salut0, VSLover and 9 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Let us know how you got on, OP
81romeo likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For redemption tickets they will either say no, or if a lower bucket is still open, they invite you to pay 60 if the agent remembers this obscure option. It's possible that due to other disruptions they will just let it slide but formally it is either no, or 60 please. It's best to get a Plus ticket if that's what you want to do.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:44 am

No harm in asking. I have been put on an earlier MAN connection a couple of times on Avios tickets.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
I would also say no.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: AC Ennui 50K BA Gold EIL Carte Blanche
The call centre have been flexible with me on occasion in the past. This is reliant on Avios availability existing on the desired flight. Be polite, explain the reason, say please. A manager can waive the policy against changes within 24 hours and just charge the 35 change fee.

No Avios availability means a discussion at the LHR though. Perhaps check if some availability pops up last-minute?
81romeo likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Above
I would also say no.
Why? Who are you? Lol
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boreas
The call centre have been flexible with me on occasion in the past. This is reliant on Avios availability existing on the desired flight. Be polite, explain the reason, say please. A manager can waive the policy against changes within 24 hours and just charge the 35 change fee.

No Avios availability means a discussion at the LHR though. Perhaps check if some availability pops up last-minute?
Thank you - I've had the 24hours policy waived on a few occasions already (including after online check-in) - and never been charged the 35 change fee as GGL.
However, on this occasion, the assumption is that the desired flight doesn't have any Avios availability.

I will update you all on Saturday eve.

Last edited by 81romeo; Sep 21, 2023 at 10:34 am
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
it can be beneficial to the airline, but it also means people will not buy more expensive tickets which offer flexibility if they find they get the flexibility with cheaper tickets.

this leads to most European airlines only allowing this flexinlbility when they have significant IROPS , hence the 'sometimes i got it sometimes i did not' responses.

No harm asking.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Why? Who are you? Lol
Who am I? Well, above. Is that not clear? And, if you are asking with what authority I post here, I am speaking from my own experience. where BA asked me to pay up. LOL
TTmex and Deckter like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.