Seat Belts getting shorter?

Old Sep 15, 23, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Seat Belts getting shorter?

I had my first BA flight in about 6 months. Is it me or are the seat belts getting shorter? After I did up the buckle there was a lot less 'tail' than the last time.

Is this another weight saving measure to save on fuel?

😁
MrPrice16 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 23, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too many pies by the sound of it!!
Old Sep 15, 23, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The seatbelts definitely haven’t changed in the last six months
Old Sep 15, 23, 6:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Its the same b@$tard who snuck in while I was away and washed all my jeans at 90C and put them on a long cycle at high heat in the dryer.
Old Sep 15, 23, 6:12 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I have to say my first experience of the Club Suite over the shoulder seat belt was extremely snug.

They really don’t want me to be comfortable in these new suites 😀
northinsouth and ttama like this.
Old Sep 15, 23, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I have to say my first experience of the Club Suite over the shoulder seat belt was extremely snug.

They really dont want me to be comfortable in these new suites 😀
I agree 100% on this. The shoulder strap doesn't have a lot of leeway in it. It's a very snug fit.
RockyRobin and ttama like this.
Old Sep 15, 23, 9:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
On Sept 13th I flew BIS class: LHR:LIS.Seatbelt was fine.

on Sept 12-13 I flew BA84 (YVR-LHR) IN BIS class. For part of the flight I sat on a pillow and the over-shoulder seat belt was fine.

Not enough hot dogs in Canada to have an effect on me. 🥳
Old Sep 16, 23, 12:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
When I took my first flight after the pandemic I noticed the same thing. I did wonder if BA had shortened then to assist with social distancing.

The good news is that in the last few months, they’ve been getting gradually longer again.
Old Sep 16, 23, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
When I took my first flight after the pandemic I noticed the same thing. I did wonder if BA had shortened then to assist with social distancing.

The good news is that in the last few months, theyve been getting gradually longer again.
things tend to get looser as they age so they must have replaced them alright
Old Sep 16, 23, 1:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Apart from the obvious non-BA factor, two things that can happen here
- sometimes one or both sections of the belt can be caught down the side or under the seat, thus shortening the length. Usually the buckle end. If you lift the seat off you may find the behlt has doubled up on itself.
- yes belts do get replaced and some are marginally shorter or longer than the original belt.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 16, 23, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Yes. In the same way that my summer holiday clothes shrink in the wardrobe each year...
Old Sep 16, 23, 4:03 am

Reminds me of a flight I took once where someone in the middle seat in the row in front asked for an extension seat belt. Turned out the Club table hadn't been re-stowed in the configuration change during the turnaround and they were sat on the table attempting to strap in!
Old Sep 16, 23, 4:23 am

I think its more a question of excess calories than different sized seat belts, sorry. My recent experiences in BA lounges highlight how passengers are not holding back from consuming as much food and drink as possible.
Old Sep 16, 23, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Funny, thought the same thing the other week two BA flights, different aircraft, different seats. There was a lot less play in one seatbelt than the other.

Interestingly by comparison took an FR flight which was even worse and an LH flight that had enough spare belt for a 2nd person, strange it's so varied.

A colleague who's a bit larger than me carries a belt extender and never had any issues using it, I thought crew would frown upon that.
Old Sep 16, 23, 5:46 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by Door5L
I think its more a question of excess calories than different sized seat belts, sorry. My recent experiences in BA lounges highlight how passengers are not holding back from consuming as much food and drink as possible.
Not for me, for me its just another dimension that is outside of their concern.

Im 2m tall so have a long torso

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.